Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Spotting Scope Recommendations

Want to get a spotting scope but admit I know nothing about them.

I'm looking for a scope with sufficient clarity and magnification to be able to see .223 sized holes at 300 yards and still cost less than $300. Does such a scope even exist or am I smoking crack??

If my expectations (spotting .223 holes at 300 yards) are too high, tell me what is "reasonable".

Any recommendations on brands and power-ranges; any specific features to look for or avoid; straight tube vs. angled tube? Any thoughts would be helpful as I try to figure this out.

Thanks,

Doug

Want to get a spotting scope but admit I know nothing about them.

I'm looking for a scope with sufficient clarity and magnification to be able to see .223 sized holes at 300 yards and still cost less than $300. Does such a scope even exist or am I smoking crack??

If my expectations (spotting .223 holes at 300 yards) are too high, tell me what is "reasonable".

Any recommendations on brands and power-ranges; any specific features to look for or avoid; straight tube vs. angled tube? Any thoughts would be helpful as I try to figure this out.

Thanks,

Doug

Best bet would probably be a Konus. They are excellent scopes for the money. If your shooting highpower matches... you will definitely want an angled eyepiece. That way you can set up your scope to see the target without having to get out of position.

I went through this about 5 years ago. The only way you are going to see .223 holes @ 300yrds with a spotting scope for less than $300 is to use a shoot-n-see. If you do that you don't even have to spend that much ;)

I have a Kowa TSN-821M with a 27X long eye relief eyepiece and a 50X eyepiece. This is probably the number one scope in high power shooting today. It is really worth the money.

850$$$$

Creedmoore Sports has the scope and 27XLER combo for 695$$

I also have the Big Blue Stand to go with it. I figured I was going to start Shooting High power.

Edited by Shawn Knight

a few years back I helped a friend with get his managers ready for a prairie dog hunt, and he was spending lots of cash.

We try-ed out several spotters before the trip. I was able to get a Swarosky used for Stuart's higher budget = I went with the 20 -60 Burris . I like my Burris , I can bring it for the OK shoot and you can try it.

I got some good prices on Sleaze Bay before they went sower grapes on us.

The smaller Burris, I did not like like the larger one. When the mirage is up it makes no diff from the $1,500 scope to my $150 scope.

Stuarts scope is like ME Anglin/s photo. Nice -very nice , But Linda and I like to take the spoter with us to Colorado camping When all the grear is in the car, I don't think I want a $1,500 scope in the mix of it all.

If it can be broken Stuart is you guy and the Swak. has held up to his treatment.

Edited by AlamoShooter

Please don't buy a $300 or less spotting scope. This is one area where you need to save up and buy quality. The higher dollar spotting scopes by Swarov, Leica and Zeiss are well worth waiting for until you have the $.

Please don't buy a $300 or less spotting scope. This is one area where you need to save up and buy quality. The higher dollar spotting scopes by Swarov, Leica and Zeiss are well worth waiting for until you have the $.

yep you only cry once

Thanks for all the feedback guys. And Jamie, thanks for the offer to check out your Burris on Sunday - I accept!

I checked out a Konus 20x60 / 100mm scope and it looks pretty good at just a hair over $300. Anyone have any first-hand experience with the Konus?

I hear what many are saying about getting quality to begin with, and I agree - but just can't justify spending $800 or more on a spotting scope that I'll use a few times a year at the most. Maybe when that Lotto Ticket hits, but not now.

Still open for further thoughts and suggestions.

I have a Kowa TSN-821M with a 27X long eye relief eyepiece and a 50X eyepiece. This is probably the number one scope in high power shooting today. It is really worth the money.

850$$

Creedmoore Sports has the scope and 27XLER combo for 695$

I also have the Big Blue Stand to go with it. I figured I was going to start Shooting High power.

+1 I can even see the future with mine!

If you spend $300 on a piece of junk, then you'll regret it later. Ask me how I know. If you want to throw the money away then give it to a worthy charity. If you want to buy a decent piece of glass that you can use for the rest of your years that will hold its value, get the Kowa. Best glass for the $ in my opinion. If I didn't own the Kowa, I'd be saving for a Leica. I have the 27X ELR eyepiece for mine and I'm thinking about buying an additional variable power eyepiece for it now to have the flexability.

I just bought a 100mm 20-60x Konus scope from Champion Shooters Supply.

Shooting at other than a black target at 300 yards you can see a .223 hole. We were using pie plates and USPSA Metric targets to sight in. Is this a Swarovsky? No and it wasn't $2500.00 either. It is 155% of the cost and 95% of the performance.

Jim

Shooting at other than a black target at 300 yards you can see a .223 hole. We were using pie plates and USPSA Metric targets to sight in. Is this a Swarovsky? No and it wasn't $2500.00 either. It is 155% of the cost and 95% of the performance.

Jim

Jim,

Thanks a ton for the feedback - this is what I've been waiting to hear. So, the Knous 20-60X 100mm lets you see .223 holes at 300 yards for a hair over $300. That's what I needed to know.

Doug

Jim

Jim,

Thanks a ton for the feedback - this is what I've been waiting to hear. So, the Knous 20-60X 100mm lets you see .223 holes at 300 yards for a hair over $300. That's what I needed to know.

Doug

Doug, I will have my Konus 20x60 at the La Grange shoot on Sunday if you can make it.

FredQ

Jim

Jim,

Doug

Doug, I will have my Konus 20x60 at the La Grange shoot on Sunday if you can make it.

FredQ

Sounds good Fred, I plan on being there.

Thanks,

Doug

• 2 years later...

I recommend checking out the Kowa TSN series spotters. The 600's and 800's are the bees knees for the price point. You will see 30 cal at 300yds, but any farther than that, you're looking at the Leicas. Even then, you won't get much further (especially on a hot day). As for spotting shoot-and-sees, you might be able to get a ways out there with a good spotter.

Beware of those high power eyepieces on low end spotters...the clarity goes to pot pretty quick.

What is your price range? Spotting scopes can be had for $100 to $5,000. You generally get what you pay for with both weapons mounted scopes and spotting scopes. I've got a Leica Televid and can easily see .22 -.30 cal holes in paper out to 500yds if the conditions are good.

Edited by dt1

*snip* I've got a Leica Televid and can easily see .22 -.30 cal holes in paper out to 500yds if the conditions are good.

:surprise:

Look through them before you buy them. I think you'd be hardpressed to EASILY see bullet holes at 500yds depending on your eyepiece even with the high end scopes.

I will say, the Leicas are beyond "top shelf", they are the "shelf in the back" that the owner of the liquor store shows you after he gets to know you.