Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Opinion on Taruas 94

snertley

I'm looking for a 22lr revo for this summers Iowa match. Trying to decide is the S&W worth 2x the money of the Taruas. I do have a 7 shot Tracker that I do like but it sounds like I need a bit more firepower for the match.

Thanks

Jon

I'd have to say go with a S&W k frame .22. A lady from our church attended Women on Target with my wife last year and was so excited she went to Cabelas with her husband and got a Taurus 94. I wish they'd asked me what I though first. I sent it to Mr. Carmoney here for a make-over. Mike you almost pulled off a miracle. It came back WAY better but still no where near a S&W k frame. I will say though that it is very accurate - firing single action off of a rest.

I had some experience with Taurus Revolvers in the 90s during the Pin shooting era......sigh........

I tried the 7 shot, 8 shot, and some of the compact guns due to winning them at matches. The large frame guns went out of time around 1k of stout ammo, so I dont know how that relates with the rimfire guns. We could do action jobs on them and slick them up, but they were never as good as the Smiths......

If you want a Smith, dont settle. Taurus makes a good gun, and they will replace it or fix it, but you just dont seem to have to do that with the Smiths if they come from the factory set up correctly..... :cheers:

Regards,

DougC

The nine-shot Taurus 94 I bought in the mid-'80s has just about the worst trigger I've ever had.

I use it for a pest gun with dust shot loads, for which it's good.

Please don't ask what I need the pest loads for.

On the other hand, it's a very nicely finished, good-looking gun. It's a blue three-incher with adjustable sights, to which I fitted Hogue rubbers. It's reliable and inexpensive.

But still, that trigger!

Edited by Cherryriver

I have worked on a few Taurus guns over the years and found all of them to have soft metal in the lockworks (hammer, trigger, etc.).

Smith & Wesson have hardened steel parts which are far superior. Taurus has improved their quality greatly over the years, but they

are still nowhere near a Smith. You get what you pay for. Good ain't cheap and cheap ain't good.

My experience with Taurii is that they are 50:50 guns; i.e. there's a 50% chance you'll get a lemon. They have a very bad habit of having parts just break and fall off the gun. Taurus has a lifetime guarantee which means you send it to them and it takes a lifetime to get it back :roflol: I believe Taurii are for occasional shooting.

BTW.....the 617 is NOT a k frame but an L frame. The 4" bbl. has the full underlug and is quite stout weight wise. I've been shooting mine indoors this winter at pin heads and it is VERY competitive. It is especially good when the .22 cartridge doesn't go BANG!!.........no slide racking, just keep cranking the trigger.

Bob.

A16841

BTW.....the 617 is NOT a k frame but an L frame. The 4" bbl. has the full underlug and is quite stout weight wise.

Although it looks just like what we expect an L-frame to look like, the 617 is actually built on the K-frame.

Every serious revolver shooter should have at least one!

BTW.....the 617 is NOT a k frame but an L frame. The 4" bbl. has the full underlug and is quite stout weight wise.

Although it looks just like what we expect an L-frame to look like, the 617 is actually built on the K-frame.

Every serious revolver shooter should have at least one!

And some DS-10's to go along with. My 617 and DS-10's arrived this week for the TDoR match.

What a bunch of fun!

And some DS-10's to go along with. My 617 and DS-10's arrived this week for the TDoR match.

What a bunch of fun!

How much are the DS-10's running these days and what is the turn around time on orders?

Thanks!

How much are the DS-10's running these days and what is the turn around time on orders?

Thanks!

They are $25. I ordered mine on Wednesday and got them today, great service. Now if my 617 would get here I could try them out.

Got a Taurus 94. Haven't handled a Smith so I can't compare the two.

However the T94 has a crap DA trigger. SA isn't too bad. The blued finish is pretty good. It's a revolver in rimfire. Two strikes against it in the accuracy department. Haven't found anything yet that shoots in it what I call good. Best I've found so far gets me 3/4" at 25 ft. Checkering on the hammer was very sharp and caused blisters on the thumb. Dressed it down with a file. Case hardening on the trigger caused blisters on the trigger finger. Buffed it down with a Dremel and coated with clear fingernail polish.

I keep it around as a backyard pest gun when the air rifle isn't enough. If it wasn't for that I'd get rid of it and look for something better.

Thanks!

They are $25. I ordered mine on Wednesday and got them today, great service. Now if my 617 would get here I could try them out.

Cool. Thanks a lot, Gregg K.