Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bren Ten coming back

badchad

Was the original a good pistol?

From what I understand they were comfortable to shoot, powerful as hell in 10mm, and a Jeff Cooper favorite, but after time the frames were prone to crack. Wanting a shooter the latter part is why I never bought an original which are selling for $2500 or so now. However being both impressionable and a big fan of Miami Vice I can't wait for an updated model.

They had some innovative features, like a slide mounted "push button" safety, great accuracy, and were in the then brand new 10mm Norma (the REAL 10mm stuff, hot as hell, before the FBI made the cartridge into something softer shooting to stop over penetration, and eventually went with .40sw).

Cooper put his stamp of approval on them. But production issues with the mag supplier crippled gun sales, and many guns were sold without mags :wacko:

At the end of the day, its basically a well made Witness style pistol in 10mm. Cool guns none the less. Owned a used one for a month or two bought 10 years ago, got it cheap with 1 mag - but the throat of the chamber had been over relieved to the point of being unsafe by some Nimrod. Wanted a gun I could actually shoot, so I sold it.

One of the problems with the original was that it used a newly designed magazine that they had problems with getting produced. There were guns out there but no mags.

This new generation uses regular EAA 10mm mags so there won't be any problems with that. I thought that was a smart move, why come up with a whole new mag when you can just use an existing one.

I am a fan of the 10mm and I am keeping an eye on this as I am interested in them.

Neal in AZ

I had a consecutively numbered pair, but never got any magazines and sold the guns years ago. They seemed well made and and were attractive guns. Still have a bunch of the correspondence from Dornaus & Dickson, they were the company developing the gun. I don't know if they were doing the manuafacturing of the gun or if it was farmed out like the magazines.

Jeff Cooper had a big part in the developement of the Bren 10 and the 10mm round. A lot of things were copied from the CZ-75, which was not imported at the time. In my opinion the new Bren 10 may well just be a CZ clone since most of the original reasons for it are met by many other guns.

edited for grammar

Edited by CenTX

The only thing I ever heard in the negative was that the axis of the bore and hand relationship made it sit fairly high in the hand. This enhanced the muzzle flip issue. I have only shot one about 3 times, and honestly wasn't paying much attention to the muzzle flip at the time.

I found one in a gun store in Spokane for a good price and almost bought it but there was something not quite right. Didn't seem tight enough to be as accurate as they were supposed to be and the fit and finish just wasn't "there". I saw and shot one of the original from a very early run and remember it being very tight with excellent fit and finish.

Turns out someone got all the parts and started assembling guns after Dornhaus and Dixon gave up. Many of these parts were rejects or repair pull-outs. Whoever was doing it was trying to cash in.

Yeah...I need one of these new ones if they actually come to market. :) And a Jackass rig, white linen suit...yeah...or not.

The Bren Ten has been "about to come back" several times over the decades. I'll believe it when I see it.

Oh yea of little faith,

But your right.

I honestly can't see the point.

Bit like a blonde, seemed like a good idea at the time, but once you got your hands on and used it a few times you just were disappointed, and got pissed off with the occompanying issues and high maintenance.