Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Congratulations Rebecca (and Megan)!

Sharyn

You two, ROCKED!!! Great job on the upset and especially in those adverse conditions! :cheers:

"It's very disappointing that there were no pictures of the Open Ladies National Champion, Rebecca Jones. Not only was there no photo, she was hardly mentioned at all. I think she deserved more respect than that." (edit - quote from Megan aka 'Magic' but fully supported by myself)

Unfortunately, we were not squadded together and the weather conditions really were not conducive to photography or I'd have supplied pictures. I've since purchased a pretty nice camera and an underwater housing. Maybe next time???...

Again, congratulations on your successes!!!

And while we're at it... BIG CONGRATS to Athena for KWA!!! (translation - "Kicking World Ass" for those who weren't there.)

BTW, this is a YAY GIRL only thread.

Edited by Sharyn

I've found it difficult to get good shots with a camera while I am shooting. I think the best way is to squad on the opposite schedule. So if the top squad is shooting am-pm-am, then get on a squad shooting pm-am-pm so you can still focus on your own performance. This is what I wanted to do at Tulsa but forgot to ask for it on my app.

There should be more coverage of Women shooters, it just takes a bunch of people to volunteer to get the ball rolling. Tulsa was a hard match to cover, the same should not be true of this year's Nationals. I will do what I can to help out if you like.

On another note; did you know that in IPSC History, only 6 people have won multiple World Shoots (division titles), and two of those are Athena and Gabrielle.

The others are Eric Grauffel, Rob Leatham, Ted Bonnett, Adam Tyc

Congrats to both Ladies. :cheers:

I do think they pointed out in the article that both Kay & Doni, who are highly seasoned veterans, were very much surprised at the upset (by both Rebecca and Megan). That certainly speaks to the high level of accomplishment. Congrats again.

Edited by CHRIS KEEN

One of my favorite squads coming through my stage at any big match are the ladies Super squad(s). Great group of folks that are always having fun. Even in the mud of Tulsa these ladies had high class and style.

To be honest I had not really known much about who Rebecca was until she shot my stage and I was staring at the time and score and going "Wow!". I had run Jesse at the Missoula O/L10 and was pretty sure she was going to be going places and it wasn't any surprise when she came through in Tulsa (both matches) and kicked butt.

It's only a matter of time before the ladies are up running with the men in terms of scores and I'd not really be surprised if Rebecca wasn't doing it in Open and Jesse was doing it in L10/Limited.

See y'all in Vegas!

Ohhh! And CONGRATS again, Rebecca, for an outstanding performance at FL Open... And in Limited, Tammie B. aka NoEvil... GREAT SHOOTING!!!!!!

Thanks Sharyn

and congrats to Rebecca and to Carrie. I think the girls really represented at this match.

Rebecca and Megan do rock.

I was also very disappointed that my friends and squadmates were not mentioned more or featured in photographs of the Front Sight article. To me it makes sense that the first National championship won by a rising star would be a worthy addition to the article. Rebecca shot phenomenally. The conditions were adverse, she battled some odd jams early on, and encountered a scope issue that could have been disastrous. She stayed consistent, never lost focus, and shot strong right up to the last stage. It was not at all accurate to label Rebecca as an underdog either. All season Rebecca had been finishing not only High lady at matches such as the VA Sectional, A8, and Summerblast, but also collecting a bunch of High A class finishes.

Megan was in the same boat. She finished only three match points behind Rebecca! You only have to see Meg shoot one stage to know how great she is. However, not giving adequate credit where credit was due is only part of it. Additionally, I think the readership missed out on a great story from the match about these two friends from VA. Shooting outside the Super Squad, they not only finished a good margin ahead of the other Ladies, but also finished 2nd and 3rd in A class. To me, the story of friends shooting so well and finishing so close would have been a good read.

I don't think one article should really bother them though. They’re going to keep shooting like that and winning, so there’s no question we’re going to have another chance to hear about it again.

Steve

Thanks to all of you for such kind comments! As fellow shooters, your kind and encouraging words mean more to me than anything published.

I was certainly honored to earn high lady this year among such accomplished lady open shooters. As I posted in another thread, my biggest disappointment in the Front Sight article was that I felt it labeled my accomplishment (and Megan's right on my heels) as "no big deal" when there was such stiff competition among past national champions.

Regardless, I'm excited about my accomplishment and thank all my fellow shooters, friends, and family for their support.

Sincerely,

Rebecca

It's very disappointing that there were no pictures of the Open Ladies National Champion, Rebecca Jones.

I got my copy of FS today... Come on, Sharyn - clearly covering three different IPSC matches and gun rights in Ireland are more important than complete coverage of the US Nationals in USPSA's magazine, aren't they? :rolleyes:

Not only was there no photo

That's probably explainable and understandable, though, even though its unfortunate... A dark horse win is a lot harder to cover from a match journalist standpoint - if you don't know someone is on the way up to the top of the match, you probably aren't going to go hunt them up to take a picture of them - and its a lot easier (and generally a safe bet) to stick with the super squads. Sometimes that strategy is a loser, though, as it was in this case...

Either way, ladies, kudos on a superior performance at that match. Anyone who could hold it together in that mess has what it takes, that's for sure! Las Vegas will certainly be an interesting match this year ;)

BritUSA, you forgot Debbie James, the only woman to win back to back World Shoot titles. Also the only woman to win 4 USPSA National open titles in a row.

Thanks for the info, I did not know that. I didn't see her name in the IPSC list of champions at this link --> Click

Maybe their database needs an update.

A dark horse win is a lot harder to cover from a match journalist standpoint - if you don't know someone is on the way up to the top of the match, you probably aren't going to go hunt them up to take a picture of them - and its a lot easier (and generally a safe bet) to stick with the super squads.

Having done this for a living for a while --- it's what separates the professionals from the amateurs, especially at a multi-day event like the U.S. Nationals. There's plenty of time to track down promising dark-horse candidates, based on daily score updates, if one is a good sports photographer.....

Having done this for a living for a while --- it's what separates the professionals from the amateurs, especially at a multi-day event like the U.S. Nationals. There's plenty of time to track down promising dark-horse candidates, based on daily score updates, if one is a good sports photographer.....

+1

I think the best way to approach it is to gather as much information about the competitors prior to the start of the match. Getting some ideas of the kind of scores they have posted in the past would give an insight into the people to watch. Take plenty of pictures and start writing up each day at the end of the session, get the latest scores and add to the article. That will also give a clue as to where the match is heading for the top shooters. If you see a dark-horse making some headway then you can pull the schedule up and make sure to get some photo's and some details on how their match is going.

It's an ongoing process and it does take a lot of time. There's certainly no way that one person can write and photograph a match with 400+ shooters across 20 stages... can't be done. At Nationals there are always two contests going on, such as Open/Limited 10 and Standard/Production. Then add in the top men and top women and essentially there are 4 matches going on at any one time, 8 over the period of the combined Nationals.

ShootingUSA does some great coverage, but they can't go into the detail that's possible with the print/online media. Sharyn showed what can be achieved with just a camera and a laptop, and Front Sight has also had some excellent coverage in years past. We (USPSA) need to build on these and really sell our sport not only to ourselves but to everyone else.

Nationals is our premier event each year and we need to promote it and give full credit/coverage to those that excel at it.

There's certainly no way that one person can write and photograph a match with 400+ shooters across 20 stages... can't be done.

I'm on board with that statement. I'm not likely to make a Nationals for at least another couple of years; I'd be happy to have a conversation/share some ideas for how to cover a National Championship successfully as a photographer with anyone who desires to do the job.....

I'm with Sharyn in that there should be duel pictures of the male and female victors.

That does not change the fact that you all are champions though! Congrats and best of luck in the 2009 season :)