Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SSR or CDP?

astephenson

I've been shooting SSP with a Glock 17 or 34 for a couple of years (still a SS, but I've made noticable improvements as of late). I've been shooting at least 3 matches a month, and I feel that I need a change of pace before I get burned out. I'd like to try a new division and get a new gun to go with it.

I just sold my G17, and I'm looking at either the STI Spartan (probably from Brazos with their "High Performance Package") or the S&W 686 SSR.

Any input would be appreciated.

Your not going to find a lot of competition, or at least not around here, in SSR. CDP is the next popular behind SSP around here.

There are several fine wheelgun shooters around these parts.

FYI, I dont think Brazos will do a performance package on a Spartan (we bought one 6 months ago and they wouldnt then). However, YMMV.

That sucks...thanks for the heads up. That may sway my decision.

Get a .45 1911. You can shoot ESP and CDP with it.

Never thought about that...230gr. bullets travelling at a mind-numbing 543 FPS to make PF LOL. Thanks, Joe.

Alex Stephenson

Hello: Just buy the Spartan and shoot it. It will work great. The only thing you will need to do if you reload is change the recoil spring to a 14lb ISMI and the mainspring to a 17lb ISMI. I have over 4000 rounds through mine now and it is still tight. I am going to send it off for hard chrome and Ion Bond after Double Tap. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

I've been shooting SSP with a Glock 17 or 34 for a couple of years (still a SS, but I've made noticable improvements as of late). I've been shooting at least 3 matches a month, and I feel that I need a change of pace before I get burned out. I'd like to try a new division and get a new gun to go with it.

I just sold my G17, and I'm looking at either the STI Spartan (probably from Brazos with their "High Performance Package") or the S&W 686 SSR.

Any input would be appreciated.

I did the exact same thing...sold my G17 and got the STI Spartan. The Spartan is an absolutely awesome pistol. Give CDP a try as shooting the .45 ACP will be a new learning experience. Good luck and have fun!

If you've got a jones for a 1911, the Spartan is a good one.

However, if you really want a challenge, get the round gun. Managing six rounds is a big difference from 10+1. I think the 686 SSR is the best possible revolver for SSR - the cylinder's a good size for reloads, and the barrel isn't as heavy as a standard 686, which is my biggest complaint. Gear is easy to find and relatively cheap. If you load your own ammo, .38 Special runs about the same cost as 9x19, while .45 ACP is a good bit more.

The only downside I see to the revolver is if you don't load your own ammo, since factory loads that make the PF are few and far between. .45 ACP has an advantage there.

Well, after weighing the pros and cons of each I've decided to shoot SSR this year. I found a 686 SSR locally and I'm picking up a Ready Tactical holster and speedloader pouches tomorrow. I have some Comp III's on the way from Midway; they should be here in the next day or two.

I really like the grip of the 686 SSR. I tried the rubber finger-grooved grip that came with it, but the grooves didn't line up with my fingers. I'm thinking about getting a Jerry Miculek grip, which looks to be about the same profile of the stock wood grips but without the cheese.

I have a buddy making me some dummy rounds to practice reloads with, and I plan on shooting it at a match on Saturday.

Here she is:

IMG_0475.jpg

Pretty! :)

What's wrong with the grip that's on it in the photo? Looks pretty good to me. The Miculek grips, in my experience, are a bit oversized for people with normal, non-Jerry Miculek-sized hands.

Thanks, Duane! The grips are great, functionally, but they're kinda cheesy lookin' IMHO.

I've got huge hands but skinny fingers, so finger-groove grips usually don't fit me very well. That's why I thought about giving the JM grips a shot. Are they fatter side to side? They look to be a similar profile as the stock grips front to back.

I disagree with Duane on this; I find that the JM grips are relatively skinny, at least the K frame versions I have. If you're looking for thicker grips without finger grooves, try either the Pachmayr Presentations or the Hogue wood grips w/out the grooves. I don't know whether the Presentations are made for round butts, or if the square butt versions work on the round butt guns.

The Hogues look like this without the "big butt". This is for an N frame, but it gives you an idea: http://www.hogueauction.com/item.php?id=6e...3fe9d70fd849978

ETA: If you've got access to a belt sander, the grooves can be done away with. ;)

Edited by revchuck

I think you made a great choice in going SSR. I started out shooting ESP about 3 years ago, and last year went ESR. It was a lot of fun, but I just shoot SSR better than ESR, so that's what I'm going with this year.

As for the 686 SSR, I think you are right - it is probably the best compromise of size and weight available "stock".

As for the grips, the picture you posted isn't showing for me, but the real "SSR" wooden grips from S&W are very nice IMO. I have the Miculek grips on my 617 (for practice), my 686, and my 625, and like them very well, but I have also shot a 686SSR, and those grips feel very nice too. If I had one of them, I probably wouldn't spend the extra $65 to change the grips.

Anyway, good luck in shooting SSR. I think you will like it. Learning to count to 6 is more difficult than one might think. :) I can't tell you how many times I have clicked empty cylinders, especially back when I had just started shooting revolver. :)