Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why Moly ?

Just Thinkin

Less leading and less mess. Still cheaper than plated and FMJ.

Is there a downside other than cost? I've got the impression that cleaning the bore and chamber can be more troublesome using Moly. Is there any truth to that?

Not everyone agrees with this, but Wil Schuemann will tell you to never, ever use moly bullets. High power rifle shooters have had issues with them in the past as well. Interesting reading about barrels, cleaning and moly:

http://www.schuemann.com/LinkClick.aspx?fi...=67&mid=445

Thanks Bart,

I quickly read through Wil's dissertation and I may have missed something, but I gathered Wil addressed chemical cleaning componds and cleaning techniques, not the moly coating. Did I miss something?

Wel rats...I thought that was the right article and now when I go back and look it seems the one with the moly warning is gone. It's possible they were talking about moly coated jacketed bullets like some of the rifle folks use. I'll send Wil and Mike a note and try to get an answer. R,

Thanks Bart,

I quickly read through Wil's dissertation and I may have missed something, but I gathered Wil addressed chemical cleaning componds and cleaning techniques, not the moly coating. Did I miss something?

Wel rats...I thought that was the right article and now when I go back and look it seems the one with the moly warning is gone. It's possible they were talking about moly coated jacketed bullets like some of the rifle folks use. I'll send Wil and Mike a note and try to get an answer. R,

From the next to the last paragraph:

"In precision rifle shooting the mild polishing action of the moly disulphide, which is beneficial to precision rifles, will wear out our barrels prematurely."

Is that what you are thinking about, Bart?

Later,

Chuck

Edited by ChuckS

Thanks all,

Starting from scracth after a 20 year layoff. Yes, I'm older than dirt so I need all the help I can get :rolleyes:

My how things have changed since the there was only one "class" and the latest hot set up was a Aimpoint on a single stack 38 stupid!

There is a difference in bullets coated in moly and bullets like Precision and Master Blaster. The former are bullets that are coated directly with moly and are said to coat the barrel. There were corrosion issues that were hidden under the coating. This, if I recall correctly, was mainly on long guns. However the Precisions and MasterBlaster style bullets, while using moly, have some sort of proprietary polymer coating that seems to keep the actual moly off the metal and leaves the barrel squeeky clean.

I use the Precisions exclusively in everything I load except my open gun. They are cheaper and a boresnake through the bore is the only cleaning the barrel needs/gets.

fwiw

dj

Edited by dajarrel

Thanks Bart,

From the next to the last paragraph:

"In precision rifle shooting the mild polishing action of the moly disulphide, which is beneficial to precision rifles, will wear out our barrels prematurely."

Is that what you are thinking about, Bart?

Later,

Chuck

That was part of it. I talked with Mike at Schuemann today....team Schuemann Techware shirts are on the way! and he said he meant to put the moly warning on the website after the redesign, but it must have been left off.

I do think that they were talking specifically about moly treated jacketed bullets. Most folks don't realize that moly is actually not a lubricant, and that it will essentially polish the bore enough that it can cause significantly accelerated wear....but the high power rifle guys are replacing barrels due to throat erosion before this becomes a problem. Interestingly, I didn't realize that one of moly's first uses was as an anti-galling compound....found that out while talking to Mike about it today.

It sounds like moly coated lead bullets like we're discussing here probably don't run into the same problem as the moly jacketed bullets do. R,

• 2 weeks later...

I am a highpower shooter.. have been for the last ten years.. 8 of them I have been using moly on my bullets.. never had a problem. I moly them myself.. one of the problems with moly wasn't the moly.. it was the wax that they were putting on them.. it would increase pressure.. leave the wax off.. no problems.

I went with moly SWC's from Bear Creek after using LSWC's for a while. Definitely cleaner on the barrel and less smoke, but also cleaner on the seating die due to no lube ring. So far so good, but I'm only working my way through my first 2K. 4.3 gr Clays w/ 200 gr SWC for 170 PF. I need to re-chrono when it gets warmer to see if that changes.