Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Indoor firing range wants more fees

speculatorking

My shooting buddy and myself recently paid $250 for a one year membership to our local indoor range. I reload all my stuff (9mm/45). I really like the range, it's 25 yards, and their are plenty of shooting stalls.

Last nite the guy working at the counter told me he had to charge me $5 now because I didn't buy any of their ammo. I don't recall ever being told you must buy their ammo. He said you need to support the facility so I can feed my baby. I thought that my $250 was support. Am I being cheap or is this a big bowl of wrong?

My shooting buddy and myself recently paid $250 for a one year membership to our local indoor range. I reload all my stuff (9mm/45). I really like the range, it's 25 yards, and their are plenty of shooting stalls.

Last nite the guy working at the counter told me he had to charge me $5 now because I didn't buy any of their ammo. I don't recall ever being told you must buy their ammo. He said you need to support the facility so I can feed my baby. I thought that my $250 was support. Am I being cheap or is this a big bowl of wrong?

Hell no you are not being cheap. If you can go somewhere else I would ask for a refund and go. That is the most ridiculous thing I have heard lately. :angry2:

Sounds more like the guy running the counter was planning on stuffing that $5 directly into his pocket. I'd call the owner and have a chat.

If you bought a membership that should have come with a contract. Read the contract. If the additional fee for not purchasing their ammo isn't in the contract they can't charge you. I suppose it could be some sort of stupid open ended contract which you were perhaps ill advised to sign in the first place but that's a whole other topic.

You know it's only $200 per year to belong to my club and we have multiple ranges on 1500 acres of property.

For $250 per year at an indoor range they should greet you at the door with a cup of coffee and clean your gun for you before you leave. ;)

Sounds more like the guy running the counter was planning on stuffing that $5 directly into his pocket. I'd call the owner and have a chat.

If you bought a membership that should have come with a contract. Read the contract. If the additional fee for not purchasing their ammo isn't in the contract they can't charge you. I suppose it could be some sort of stupid open ended contract which you were perhaps ill advised to sign in the first place but that's a whole other topic.

Don't pay. Read contract. Talk to the owner if not working. Ask your money and change indoor range if posibble.

Good point.

If the owner is really in deep financial trouble, his next step might be banckruptcy. If he goes Chapter 7, then you, the member, would probably be viewed as any other creditor, and depending on the applicable laws, you might end up without a range AND out a refund on your membership fee.

These are tough economic times we are in.

Having been an owner of an indoor range during the last recession I think you better talk to the owner. Sounds like he may be in trouble and if that is the case your membership won't be worth much if he closes down.

$250 a year for a 25yd range? Dayum.

My home range is $75 a year for 125 acres consisting of 2 skeet fields, 2 trap fields, 1 five stand field, complete cowboy action range (town), machine gun bay, 6 pistol bays, and rifle ranges of 25, 50, 100, 200, 300, and 500 yds.

And the members are bitching about a proposed $25 per year increase in dues... Sheesh.

I'm with the others who suggest you contact the owner re: the $5 ammo fee and the possibility of hard financial times.

Our only indoor range around here (Greenville, SC) has the same $5 fee if you bring in your own ammo, member or not. I agree that with a membership you should get a few perks. I don't reload yet, but the policy at the range is you cannot collect brass and I am understanding that means your own as well. I understand not taking the brass from the range ammo, but if I brought it I am taking it back with me.

Trey

last time I was a member of Rio Salado range (2004) IIRC, the fee was $65.00. For that you had free use of the 100/200/300 yard public range, free use of the practical ranges,( if you had your card stamped by the Practical group.)

$250 plus $5 for using my own ammo. We be GONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Check with the owner. I bet the range geek is trying to rip you off. Bet he looses his job.

It could be worse. A local indoor range not only charges you by the hour but REQUIRES you to only use their ammo. Its nothing special, plain old WWB and sometimes PMC ammo. Nothing you can't buy at Walmart.

Took one of my open guns in to sight in. Range owner advised me of the rule. I said "OK, I'll take a box of your 9x21 loaded major." Of course they don't carry it. Didn't do me any good. Since I wasn't buying their ammo, I was not allowed to use their range.

It kind of explained why I was the only customer in the place.

Bill

Alot of you guys are comparing prices of your OUTDOOR ranges with the price this guy pays for an INDOOR range, which is not really fair. INDOOR ranges have alot higher overhead to cover so their fees are naturally going to be higher.

But just to make you feel better Speculatorking ................ there's an INDOOR range here in Springfield, Ohio that charges you an annual fee of $150 - then charges you $11 per hour to use the range ...... that you are a "member" of. :surprise:

I get dizzy just reading their rates:

- Shoot 1/2 price ($5.50 per hour) on Monday and Tuesday 10am to 9pm EST (except Monday holidays when member day is moved to Wednesday) in 30 minute intervals, based on availability. Save $10.45 per visit. Extra person on same lane is $4.00 per hour.

- Wednesday through Sunday- Member discount range rate of $10.95 per hour, which saves $5 per visit.

:wacko:

Edited by CHRIS KEEN

Shoot 1/2 price ($5.50 per hour) on Monday and Tuesday 10am to 9pm EST (except Monday holidays when member day is moved to Wednesday) in 30 minute intervals, based on availability. Save $10.45 per visit. Extra person on same lane is $4.00 per hour.

- Wednesday through Sunday- Member discount range rate of $10.95 per hour, which saves $5 per visit.

:wacko:

BARF! They need some competition!

A.T.

Just to make you feel better.

Membership 300€=378$

Annual fee 60€=76$

Two times when you can use for 1 line for that price for every week is if there is line available (many times you have to wait 1-2 hours but members get free coffee at sundays) thursday klo 19-22 (1.1 - 31.5, 1.9 - 31.12) and sunday klo 9.30-14 (1.1. - 31.12).

If you want all 7 lines for you it will cost for you if you are member 30,24€ =38$/hour.

The best part is that parking is 12€/15$ hour. You don't have to came with car it is your choice. :roflol:

Did I mention I am not a member. I like my car.

Life isn't cheap.

• 3 weeks later...
Just to make you feel better.

Membership 300€=378$

Annual fee 60€=76$

Two times when you can use for 1 line for that price for every week is if there is line available (many times you have to wait 1-2 hours but members get free coffee at sundays) thursday klo 19-22 (1.1 - 31.5, 1.9 - 31.12) and sunday klo 9.30-14 (1.1. - 31.12).

If you want all 7 lines for you it will cost for you if you are member 30,24€ =38$/hour.

The best part is that parking is 12€/15$ hour. You don't have to came with car it is your choice. :roflol:

Did I mention I am not a member. I like my car.

Life isn't cheap.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The bottom line to all this is to GET a contract and don't allow them ANY arbitrary changes. I don't have a contract for the $300. per year I pay except that I can use my own ammo. That leaves a LOT of room for them to change the rules anytime and for any reason they see fit.. I know that running a business is tough and there MUST be REALLY high insurance rates but they MUST take all this into consideration before selling memberships. These guys brag about their huge membership, between 6 and 8 hundred depending on their mood. Even at the minimum that would be (200X600) $120,000. plus retail sales.

I don't mind paying a premium fee for GREAT service, just tell me up front what the damn rules are!

:surprise:

Its too late for those of us who are already members but if anyone out there is thinking of signing up for a membership at an indoor range, GET EVERYTHING in WRITING before you flip out your credit card!

:mellow:

Jay (likes to learn the hard way)