Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which classifiers to practice?

I'm setting up my basement for dry-fire practice. Are there any particular classifiers that are better than others for practice? Are there any target formations that lend themselves to practicing multiple different classifiers without rearranging?

-Chris

You probably do not want to just use classifiers for dry-fire practice. They will only help you with skills to improve scores on classifiers & not necessarily on skills that improve scores in overall matches.

To see a really good dry-fire routine in a confined space, check out this:

Range Diary for Pharaoh Bender

and for video see

Dry Fire Video

Linda Chico (L-2035)

Columbia SC

Edited by LChico

• 1 month later...

If you practice draws and reloads you're good to go. By draws I mean from all positions - hands at sides, surrender, table draws, etc.

1. get your hits

2. smoke your draws and reloads

3. go as fast as you can see the front sight

viola!

Do the same thing on a "regular" stage and you're in good shape too. ;)

I really don't see the point of practicing set classifiers. I've seen some folks do that and you really don't want to be known as a grandbagger. :mellow:

IMO, SHO and WHO is where ya seperate the men from the boys. so to speak.

I can't find any of those in this area. Do you know their number designations?

I really don't see the point of practicing set classifiers. I've seen some folks do that and you really don't want to be known as a grandbagger. :mellow:

I'm not worried about being a grandbagger. I'm a D shooter at the moment. It would be nice to have a C or B card to show some progress though. Besides, if I'm really classed outside my skill, it only hurts me. Sandbagging on the other hand, hurts others.

IMO, SHO and WHO is where ya seperate the men from the boys. so to speak.

I can't find any of those in this area. Do you know their number designations?

I'm not worried about being a grandbagger. I'm a D shooter at the moment. It would be nice to have a C or B card to show some progress though. Besides, if I'm really classed outside my skill, it only hurts me. Sandbagging on the other hand, hurts others.

IMO= In my opinion

SHO= Strong hand only

WHO= Weak hand only

IMO= In my opinion

SHO= Strong hand only

WHO= Weak hand only

Ok, are we talking about skills in general or specific classifiers? I've tried doing El Prez with both hands before and after reload, SHO after the reload, and WHO after the reload. I seem to recall doing that at a match once. They are definitely both areas I need to work. The weak hand transfer after a reload always seems clumsy or at least never graceful and efficient.

Those are just general skills to practice. Doing them like you say you are is good practice. You don't see it alot at matches, but when you do you can sure tell the people that have practiced even a little bit. Weak hand transfers never are. You are trying to be so careful about not putting your off hand trigger finger in there to soon they always feel like they are in slow motion.

Tom

I change target arrays every day to help with the boredom of dryfiring. Every classifier has certain skill tests. Accuracy, strong-weak hand, reloads, turns, draws, etc. Those are the skills that will help with classifiers and all stages. If I know the classifier at the next match I may loosely set up something that requires a specific skill needed for that classifier but not necessesarily the exact stage.

good!! You will do yourself a big favor and go a long way towards earning a C and then B card if you work on the basics - draw, reloads and calling your shots. Have one of the better shooters in your neck of the woods help you out and point out where you're losing time. I have yet to meet a shooter - at any level - from bottom to World Champions - who won't help out if asked politely. Get some help on your technique, practice what you need to work on and the next thing you know you'll posses one of those cards you're looking for.

99-39. Learn how to smoothly, quickly get into awkward positions, and shoot from them. In addition to the strings in the classifier, also work position 3 to position 4 and vice versa ;)