Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

looking for a decent deal on a 627-PC 5"?

Carmoney

A guy on the S&W forum also has this gun for sale:

Smith & Wesson Model 625-8, “45 Cal Model of 1989,” 45 ACP, with lock, 4" barrel, frosted stainless steel, 5 moon clips, box numbered to gun with papers, normal handling marks for a used gun......$625.00, plus shipping. Email SmithCollector AT gmail DOT com for photos, questions or other inquiries.

Again, I know nothing about the guy, but that's sure not a bad deal if you're looking for a 4" 625.

Just for us new guys, what are the different versions of the 627 out there and are there any versions that should be avoided?

Thread Drift....warning warning... Mikej.. I did a search and used 627- in the criteria.. Gave up after page 4. So what little I know. I have a 627- 4 PC 5 inch and a 627-5 4 inch. The -4 I have is a 38 super with a lock. Not necessarily why it was designated with a -4 though. My -5 is a plain barrel 357 and had to cut it for moonclips, it has a lock From what I have read the plain barrels are not cut for Moonclips. That is the extent of my knowledge. later rdd

Just for us new guys, what are the different versions of the 627 out there and are there any versions that should be avoided?

As Bubber said, the 627-4 is the variant chambered for .38 Super. These were limited production, are fairly rare, and command prices that are driven more by collectability than utility. You do tend to see a lot of them at the IRC, looks like half the world-wide supply of 627-4s find their way to Morro Bay, CA every year!

The 5" Performance Center slab-side (like the one being auctioned that was the original subject of this thread) is probably the most common 8-shooter out there, although the 4" Pro Series (with the very similar slab-sided barrel) is gaining heavily on it due to the reduced price. Both are excellent, it's a matter of barrel length preference.

The "plain" 4" 627 also being marketed now by S&W is the one that is not cut for moonclips. I would avoid that one, unless you just insist on the traditional barrel profile. For any kind of competition use, moonclips are the only way to fly. Yes, you can cut them down like Bubber's, but that costs extra money.

The 627 PC V-Comps are also fairly popular. They're a little more front-heavy than the slab-side versions, but not offensively so. The comp can be replaced with a solid cap to protect the threads if you want to use it for ICORE Limited division. (Pretty much everyone agrees the comp is worthless anyway.)

There are a few other variations that surface sometimes, but those are the main ones.

If I were in the market for an 8-shot revolver, I'd buy that 627 5" PC off Gunbroker. The owner is correct, with the price jumps we've seen recently, he's got it priced very favorably.

If I were in the market for an 8-shot revolver, I'd buy that 627 5" PC off Gunbroker. The owner is correct, with the price jumps we've seen recently, he's got it priced very favorably.

I'm trying not to buy it

I'm trying not to buy it

WHY? :cheers:

I can't believe that:

A. This thing has two hours left and zero bids

B. This is at least $100.00 cheaper than the next best price I've seen on one and I don't have the $$$ right now! I will in two weeks, but today I am screwed!!!

Sometimes life aint fair!! :angry2:

I'm trying not to buy it

WHY? :cheers:

I can't find a good reason..

My recent purchases. Auction lasted less than an hour.

Iowa. Here I come. :roflol:

Going to pay for pinshooters trip buying C-More mounts or staying iron? See you there.

Here's the 627 now. It's set up for ICORE. Had a triggher job and chamered cylinders. Also has the hammer bobbed. My 625 is staying set up for USPSA.

627.jpg

My recent purchases. Auction lasted less than an hour.

Iowa. Here I come. :roflol:

Going to pay for pinshooters trip buying C-More mounts or staying iron? See you there.

Here's the 627 now. It's set up for ICORE. Had a triggher job and chamered cylinders. Also has the hammer bobbed. My 625 is staying set up for USPSA.

627.jpg

How do you like the Ahdrends grips? I like mine a lot. I just wish he made them a tad longer.