Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Muzzle Brake Or Compensator

Julien Boit

I just ordered my new AR15 , a 20 inch heavy bull barrel fluted with flat top .

I asked the seller if it was possible to have the barrel threaded for a muzzle brake or comp, He told me that it would be a special order with delays.

As I'm not patient at all, i said ok for the non threaded barrel, so, here come my question (who said finally ;) ) :

Do I really need a comp/MB on this rifle?

<_<

I will use it mainly for long range shooting, medium range plinking and maybe sometimes a little "action" on the range with an Holosight mounted.

Do I really need a comp/MB on this rifle?

<_<

I will use it mainly for long range shooting, medium range plinking and maybe sometimes a little "action" on the range with an Holosight mounted.

With most of your use being Long & Med Range shooting, I would most definitely not put a brake on this rifle.

Lynn,

He said BULL barrel. Not heavy barrel like most folks shoot 3 Gun with. There are not any brakes on the market that match the contour of a bull barrel and turning the barrel down to match contour of any brake is inadvisable.

Reneet:

Forgive the expression.... but what paint have you been sniffing?? There are many brakes/comps for Bull barrels and ALL of them help to some degree. I don't think I would campain an AR without a good ...or even mediocre brake. Yes they make that big a difference! even with a 14 pound AR!!! If you can Julien, figure a way to get one on your cool carbine. Good luck.....KURT

Reneet:

Forgive the expression.... but what paint have you been sniffing?? There are many brakes/comps for Bull barrels and ALL of them help to some degree. I don't think I would campain an AR without a good ...or even mediocre brake. Yes they make that big a difference! even with a 14 pound AR!!! If you can Julien, figure a way to get one on your cool carbine. Good luck.....KURT

No paint abuse going on here. Just would not want a brake of any sort on a bull barrel rifle that I would be using for primarily long and mid range shooting with maybe sometimes a little "action" shooting thrown in.

I would be interested in knowing of a moderately effective brake designed to go on a bull barrel. Please point me to one.

BTW ~ I don't think a 20" barrel is considered a carbine.

On the other end of the spectrum . . .

I just finished a 3-day class with my li'l superlight carbine and more than once I wished for a comp.

Many of the more dogmatic "tactical tommies" have seizures if you suggest putting a brake or compensator on an AR of any size or configuration. The reasoning almost always boils down to:

1. You don't need it/they don't help "if you know how to shoot"

2. They're too noisy and disturb people next to you on the firing line

I wish I had a concise reply to #1. I've tried to use reason, but without any "street cred" no one listens. It always devolves into me not knowing how to shoot properly.

Anyway . . . does anyone make a reasonably priced comp for the Bushmaster superlight barrel yet? Something along the lines of the Smith Ent. would be perfect for my needs.

Reneet:

For long range....well the Barrett seems to have a brake on it. I do see your point however. When it comes to carbine I think more along the lines of the cartridge. Any .223 just doesn't seem to be a rifle caliber. It could have a 40" barrel and I would still call it a carbine. As for the brakes....well I think there have been enough replies.

Rhino,

The "tactical types" eschew the use of comps/brakes becuase all too often they're all jammed into a hallway trying to hose a bad guy before he stops missing and starts connecting.

The plain muzzle blast is bad enough, but a comp can knock stuff off your face, like goggles and earmuffs.

And I would not do any shooting without one if the rules allowed having one. as for tactical stuff, as soon as I finish some prototypes I'm going to see what teams will accept.

Rhino,

The "tactical types" eschew the use of comps/brakes becuase all too often they're all jammed into a hallway trying to hose a bad guy before he stops missing and starts connecting.

The plain muzzle blast is bad enough, but a comp can knock stuff off your face, like goggles and earmuffs.

And I would not do any shooting without one if the rules allowed having one. as for tactical stuff, as soon as I finish some prototypes I'm going to see what teams will accept.

Patrick . . . I'm sure the genuine, real life tactical types don't want 'em for that reason . . . but I'm talking about the training junkies that parrot what their latest instructor said (and this is all online, of course, where you don't need to back anything up).

Keep us updated on your developments . . . maybe you'll find something that works, but will be accepted by "the community" and I won't be banned from the cool kidz table for having a comp on my rifle. ;)

I don't have a comp on my 20" HBAR Limited rifle and I always questioned the utility on an iron-sighted rifle. I think it takes so long for my vision to acquire the next target and refocus on the front sight, that a comp would just be extra noise.

Then I shot a borrowed JP Cooley comp rifle for a couple stages of the 3 Gun nationals. First thing I noticed was more blast and noise. Next thing I noticed was less muzzle rise and the ability to follow-up faster on paper IPSC targets at 100 yards and less.

So I picked a Cooley comp of the Race Gun nats prize table and I'm looking for a gunsmith.

The south tex. narcotics team were shooting their 14" m4's on semi & full. On semi they were hitting ok but slow, on full at 20 yds, only about 3 out of 8 rds. hit on full auto. after installing my comp, their semi hits were up about 40% on speed but on full auto all had all hits in a tight pattern. Have installed comp's on all their guns. He who shoots fastest w/ the best hits wins the gunfight.

The south tex. narcotics team were shooting their 14" m4's on semi & full. On semi they were hitting ok but slow, on full at 20 yds, only about 3 out of 8 rds. hit on full auto. after installing my comp, their semi hits were up about 40% on speed but on full auto all had all hits in a tight pattern. Have installed comp's on all their guns. He who shoots fastest w/ the best hits wins the gunfight.

Hey! Maybe they just don't know how to shoot! :rolleyes:

May I use your example when I get into the next inevitable online pi**ing contest over comps? :)