Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Trojan 9mm for IDPA

Billme

Hi all - first post so please go easy on me.

Been shooting IDPA for a few months using a Glock 17 then recently moved to a 34. I'm mostly happy with the 34 but then I got out my 45 1911 the other day. It had been awhile since I had it out and I was very surprised how much more accurate I shoot the 1911. Especially at longer distances.

This has caused me to have a real hankering for 1911 in 9mm and I keep reading good reviews about the STI Trojan. If I went with the Trojan or something similar based on recommendations would there be a division in USPSA I could compete if I decided to try something other than IDPA? What about the STI Edge instead?

If you ask why stay with 9mm because I do reload and would like to just leave the 550 setup for it. Plus I have financial constraints.

I plan to attend a local USPSA match next weekend to get a better idea of whats what.

The feedback is greatly appreciated!

Hi all - first post so please go easy on me.

Been shooting IDPA for a few months using a Glock 17 then recently moved to a 34. I'm mostly happy with the 34 but then I got out my 45 1911 the other day. It had been awhile since I had it out and I was very surprised how much more accurate I shoot the 1911. Especially at longer distances.

This has caused me to have a real hankering for 1911 in 9mm and I keep reading good reviews about the STI Trojan. If I went with the Trojan or something similar based on recommendations would there be a division in USPSA I could compete if I decided to try something other than IDPA? What about the STI Edge instead?

If you ask why stay with 9mm because I do reload and would like to just leave the 550 setup for it. Plus I have financial constraints.

I plan to attend a local USPSA match next weekend to get a better idea of whats what.

The feedback is greatly appreciated!

Don't get a edge in 9mm, you'll never be able to sell it down the road. I would suggest a .40 for single stack division and it can also be used for ESP division in IDPA it the reloading cost of .45 is to much. Sure 9mm is cheaper but shooting minor in any division that allows major scoring puts you at a disadvantage. If you have to you have to but don't if you don't. With that being said I can load .45 ammo with LRN/LSWC bullets pretty cheap to make it worth while if you already have a .45.

I shoot a Trojan 40 in IDPA ESP and USPSA single stack.

There are a couple things to consider here. First I think a Glock 34/35 is an awesome competition gun.

Having said that I dont shoot one anymore.

My Trojan 40 needed the ramp rewelded to be reliable. If you bought a Trojan from Dawson precision or Brazos custom gunworks you can opt for a tuning package. I highly recommend this and these two retialers (who both support USPSA).

A tuned Trojan is very reliable and accurate. Im not so sure about an untuned one.

The Trojan 40 takes 9 rd magazines. The Trojan 9mm takes 10 rd magazines.

I start each stage with a 9rd magazie and one in the chamber. I have yet to have the one less in the mag be a problem in either USPSA or IDPA.

If I were you I would get a 9mm gun because the cost of components is much lower

If you absolutly have to shoot 9mm then I would rather you shoot 9mm and come out and play that not at all. Just take into consideration that if you choose a .40 you won't loose anything as far as points across the board. You will have to spend a touch more to reload it but not a whole lot.

Edited by steel1212

I'm planning to stay focused on IPDA for a while and would like to treat myself to a new 1911 but switching to 40 also just isn't in the budget. I'm committed to 9 and 45 for now. I'll just keep doing it for fun.

Hello: I would just shoot the 45 1911 for a while. You can shoot it in ESP with minor loads or CDP and major loads. If you use Precision bullets and the same powder it won't cost you much more. It only takes about 10 minutes to change over the setup to 45 from 9mm. Start collecting brass now and have fun. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

Dang, you guys are gonna talk me into a 40 yet.

Your 550 conversion to .40 from 9mm is painless. You don't have to change the shellplate just the buttons. Then a new powder funnel you your all converted to .40. So just get a new toolhead, powder funnel and the buttons.

Dang, you guys are gonna talk me into a 40 yet.

Your 550 conversion to .40 from 9mm is painless. You don't have to change the shellplate just the buttons. Then a new powder funnel you your all converted to .40. So just get a new toolhead, powder funnel and the buttons.

Yup what he said, I just leave the shell plate, get new buttons and change the toolhead but I have a tool head for every caliber I load. If your going to mainly be a IDPAer you can't beat the 9mm. In my mind, the 9mm 1911/2011 is king in IDPA. Cheap to shoot, tuned right they run, reliable 10 rounds mags are out there, and a nice trigger. Now in the hands of Sevigny or Vogel so is the glock but ya know...