Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

stripped set screw

vluc

Stripped the set screw in my Sevigny rear sight and can't get it out. Not on the gun anymore, but I would like to be able to use the sight again!

Any tips on getting it out?

Edited by vluc

If it takes a hexagonal shaped allen key...err... wrench... then you might be able to get a "Torx" (it's a star shaped wrench) to fit in there.

With it's sharper corners it might actually be able to dig in there and grab the screw.

Even if it is locked with red loctite you only need to bring it to about 400* to break it, it will start to smoke a tiny bit and you will smell it when it breaks, then you should be able to unscrew it with a fresh allen wrench using a little side pressure on it while turning.

Good advice, Howard. I haven't tried this but it is along the lines of a prior suggestion and thought next time one "gets" me I'd try it. Use one of those left hand thread screw removers. For the broken screw you normally drill a hole in what's left, tap this lefty in and wrench it out. Here I was thinking you could just tap it in and wrench it out. Sears and elsewhere has these in sets.

Good luck, you'll probably need it.