Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's up with the ARGold trigger?

noxcuse73

Does anyone have any first hand, hands on experience or info on these? I ordered one Sunday and after reading that some guys have waited 2 months for theirs I called them today. They told me up to 4-6 weeks which probably means 6-8 weeks. Any info? I had a chance to handle the one in Jerry's rifle at one of our local matches a couple months ago and it seemed like the SH*T, but I didn't get a chance to shoot it and run it through it's paces. I don't think Jerry Miculek would be to keen on me finger bangin his gun. The one in his gun must have been a prototype or pre-production model cause it's appearance was different than the pics of the one currently being produced. It even looked like his was modified some by him. I have run Jewell 2-stage triggers for years and usually finish toward the front, but I liked the way the ARGold lacked most of the initial takeup of the first stage. The Second stage break on my Jewell is lighter but probably the combination of the two stages is the same as what Jerry's was set on. I'm goin to give it a shot and try it, but I'm trying to find somebody with some real in action knowledge about it.

JV

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do know that Jerry Miculek is impressed and he told me so at the Ft Benning Match. ARGold was a sponsor of that match the first weekend in December 2008 and I played with the demo unit. I was impressed enough to order 3 of them at the specail price they had with the free shipping. Since that time I have not heard a peep from ARGold. If anyone else ordered at that match or if anyone else has taken delivery, I would sure like to know it.

Charles

I do know that Jerry Miculek is impressed and he told me so at the Ft Benning Match. ARGold was a sponsor of that match the first weekend in December 2008 and I played with the demo unit. I was impressed enough to order 3 of them at the specail price they had with the free shipping. Since that time I have not heard a peep from ARGold. If anyone else ordered at that match or if anyone else has taken delivery, I would sure like to know it.

Charles

I received mine after 3 1/2 months on order. Got it last friday and shot a match with it on saturday. It is very different from a factory or match trigger, the first stage is very light and short the second stage you never feel it move, it just goes bang after very little pressure. I measured the over all weight at 2.5 lbs. It is very crisp. There is a real trick to getting the thing out of your receiver, took a while to figure it out, may be related to that receiver/safety. Over all I think I will like it. I really like the safety features it has.

FredQ

Mine came in a couple days ago, it breaks close to 3# and it is very nice. It travels, preps, and breaks like a good 1911 trigger. At $300 a pop it isn't cheap, and the trigger itself on mine is cosmetically spotty which is cheesy as hell for a unit in this price range, but I think I found 'the' trigger for me. I need to take it out and run it some but so far I am very impressed with the function of it.

I picked one up off the prize table at the Multigun Nats this past year. I must say I am very impressed with it and own several nice single stage triggers. Is it worth the money......I'll say this......the price would make it a hard purchase for me to try one.....but now that I have one.....my other triggers don't feel the same. Not a two stage and not a single stage. Like Howard said.....its like a nice 1911 trigger. Slight bit of pre travel and then a nice crisp break with no overtravel whatsoever and a very short reset. It is also fully adjustable. I've got mine set at 2.25# and have several thousand rounds through the gun since the Nats with no problems. The trigger shoe is very thin unlike most AR triggers. I didn't think I would like a real thin trigger but I do. The unit is also drop in and has some additional safety features to prevent follow or drop issues in hard use rifles.

I guess I'll have to wait patiently, but I'm kinda instant gratification guy. When I decide I want and buy something I would like it now if possible or tomorrow at the latest. Ha! Hopefully it won't take that long but the guy told me he would rather tell me 4-6 weeks and it come earlier than not. I have a feeling with the market demand for everything the way it is it will probably be longer. For those of you who have installed and shot with it, is the reset fairly positive or does it seem sloppy? Or is it just not even noticeable when running and gunning? As the reviews said with the Jewell I currently run, I do find myself pulling through the second stage sometimes on precision shots and don't even notice it when I'm moving and engaging close targets fast. HSMITH what did you mean about cosmetically being spotty? What does the gold on the trigger look like? Maybe Tin coated? The one Jerry had in his gun was anodized a lime green color on the module housing and some shiney cutting on the back which was probably a typical Jerry modification and the trigger was not Gold. The pics of the current production show a black housing and Gold colored trigger. He must of had one of the prototypes. Thanks for the feedback. Let me know when you guys shoot it more and make some more assessments about it.

JV

If I had to guess I would say that the trigger itself is zinc plated a gold color, and mine is actually spotted like it wasn't cleaned before dip and the plating didn't stick in a couple spots. It looks crappy, but it won't ever affect the function. I will probably take a dremel to the trigger anyway to round the edges and polish it out. I expect more cosmetically in this price range, but it isn't a deal breaker.

The reset isn't powerful at all, there is only 8-10 ounces of reset pressure, just like the 1911 trigger we all love. It travels about the same distance as my 1911's and then hits a solid wall, building pressure on that wall to about 2.5 pounds more and it breaks clean, just like my 1911. On a pistol I want to be able to prep through the take up very quickly without blowing through the sear break, having very little take up pressure and a 2.5-4# final pull weight lets me do that. That is what this trigger feels like. The other two stage AR triggers out there that I have tried have so much take up weight that the wall is really hard to feel and it is really easy to blow through it and fire a shot before I want to. The single stage triggers have NO feel at all for me, I have a really hard time prepping them without movement and I don't know EXACTLY when the shot is going to break. Provided my AR Gold trigger is reliable it is easily the best AR trigger I have ever played with.

It won't fit in my Sportical, the upper isn't cut for it, so it appears that there is at least one upper that this trigger will not work with. I might modify the trigger and/or the upper, but haven't decided yet.

If I had to guess I would say that the trigger itself is zinc plated a gold color, and mine is actually spotted like it wasn't cleaned before dip and the plating didn't stick in a couple spots. It looks crappy, but it won't ever affect the function. I will probably take a dremel to the trigger anyway to round the edges and polish it out. I expect more cosmetically in this price range, but it isn't a deal breaker.

The reset isn't powerful at all, there is only 8-10 ounces of reset pressure, just like the 1911 trigger we all love. It travels about the same distance as my 1911's and then hits a solid wall, building pressure on that wall to about 2.5 pounds more and it breaks clean, just like my 1911. On a pistol I want to be able to prep through the take up very quickly without blowing through the sear break, having very little take up pressure and a 2.5-4# final pull weight lets me do that. That is what this trigger feels like. The other two stage AR triggers out there that I have tried have so much take up weight that the wall is really hard to feel and it is really easy to blow through it and fire a shot before I want to. The single stage triggers have NO feel at all for me, I have a really hard time prepping them without movement and I don't know EXACTLY when the shot is going to break. Provided my AR Gold trigger is reliable it is easily the best AR trigger I have ever played with.

It won't fit in my Sportical, the upper isn't cut for it, so it appears that there is at least one upper that this trigger will not work with. I might modify the trigger and/or the upper, but haven't decided yet.

I don't think you should modify anything!

As long as it doesn't look good, you should just sell it to me for $50! :roflol:

OK, now that this is kind of funny. I came home an hour ago to find...a small box full of Gold triggers on my back porch (LOL).

The "gold" plating on all of mine are pretty cruddy, too, but wow...these triggers feel GOOD!

Alex

Well back to the trigger coloring. That sounds pretty cheezy to be cad or zinc plating for that much money. Tin coated would look better if they wanted to stick to the "gold" theme. Seems like the trigger shoe would rust easy with the cad plating. I hope they rectify this spotty issue before they ship mine. Has anyone called or contacted PACT about this before I call them?

JV

I haven't. It is a very minor gripe for me, the function is what I am after. I would be tempted to nitride it or Tin coat it after I get it shaped to fit my finger but the odds of that actually happening are pretty slim, 99-1 I will grind the trigger to fit my finger and when I am done that is the way it will be for ever. Unless the 'patina' gets hairy I won't even clean the rust off it that surely will develop where I ground on it.

It is a tool, no different than a hammer or a wrench.

It is a tool, no different than a hammer or a wrench.

No different than a $300 hammer or wrench..... you know, like NASA stuff. :rolleyes:

I'll try out noexcuse73's when it comes in (right JV?)...... or maybe he'll sell me his Jewell for $50 if he likes the Gold.

Edited by sfinney

Ok Ok I will sell ya my Jewell trigger for $50................BUT THE INSTALLATION IS GOIN TO COST $175........................Ha! Guess maybe if I can get one within a couple of weeks of the Larue match to give me time to run around 200 rounds with it so I can feel comfortable and confident with it before a big match. If I can't get some intimate time with it I'll wait till after the Larue match to install it. I've been bitten on changing to new equipment just before a big match that wound up costing me. I guess we'll see when it comes in. Hope by that time they fix the crappy cosmetics.

JV

Bad news.

For anyone who wants to install the AR Gold in a DPMS 308 lower you will need to do some machining on the trigger housing or the receiver.

The DPMS 308 receiver is completely symetrical and while the left side of the .223 trigger housing is relieved by about .070".

I will try to post pics later.

The UPS guy just brought mine!!

After much discussion on the goldness of the trigger, I very happy with the finish. Not because it is very pretty (it does look galvanized sort of) but I like the fact that it is hardly gold at all. I was afraid it would look like a gold plated tooth hanging from my dull black rifle...I think a little paint and wear will dull it down nicely.

Confession - I was sort of hoping it was that anodized orange that their site shows...

Either way I'm stoked about it getting here today. Any guesses on my new goal for this afternoon?

Charles

UPDATE: My triggers arrived yesterday which was just a tad after 60 days from the date of order. I suspect that they were just getting ramped up to produce these when I ordered late last year.