Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Are SV and STI mag releases different?

OPENB

I bought a SV grip frame with factory stippling to replace a grip on my ltd gun. I stripped the old frame which was an STI, and started to assemble the SV. The mag release that worked fine in the STI, would go all the way through the holes in the SV frame, not stopping when the button is sticking out of the left side of the frame. Even when the lock was turned into the slot in the frame, the button will go all the way through the grip and come out the left side of the grip. I had a SV Scott grip a couple years ago that did the same thing. So, do I need a special SV mag release, or is my grip frame bad? I think the mag release I have is a STI part.

Yes the mag releases are different. I replaced the grip on my new SV open gun and didn't think anything about having to wallow out the hole on the new grip (drop in is never drop in). Then I sold my take off grip on the forum. The guy that bought it pm's me that he wants a refund ASAP because somebody oversized the mag release hole and he has several different mag releases all of which are too small. Went out and mic'd my SVI against my STI and the SV is bigger. Sent the guys money back and let him keep the grip to save face <_<

Two reasons for the price difference. One is the quality of materials involved. The other is uniqueness of the SV mag which allows them to charge more.

You can notice the difference in STI and SV.

If you have an older SV frame it needs to be drilled out to fit the new mag catch. Brandon turned mine around in three days.

SV mills practically all of their parts out of bar stock. STI still uses cast parts. It's hard to believe but after purchasing a couple sets of SV wide-ambi safties, and an SV extractor I'm a believer. That extractor actually needs to be put in a vise in order to bend it at all. :surprise:

I called SV today, and it was confirmed that if the mag catch hole in the left side is .312" or larger, you need the SV mag catch; the STI part will not work. This appeared to be a suprise to several people that IM'd me. Thanks to everyone that helped me out on this. I wonder how many other parts are unique to SV, and not interchangeable. The seller told me the grip was off a gun from last year. It is marked Strayer Tripp International inside where the patent dates are, so STI was still making grips for SV then. I'll know for sure and certain when the SV mag catch gets here.

While I greatly enjoy my 2 STI blasters;

a review of current innnovations, parts build quality, designs and complete from the factory "custom" pistols indiactes that SVI is the obvious innovator here. SVI is moving the the 2011 style pistol to new levels on many different fronts, If I were looking for a replacement for my STI's, I know I would look to SVI.

This is good news for all-

It is refreshing to see such innovation from a USA company . . .

Great progress!

It appears all else are playing cath up now.

From what I've experienced with their customer service, it is top notch, as are their products. . .

On the flip side, their customer service seems to need a little fluff and buff. I bought a magwell online from them 5 days ago and haven't receive a confirmation email, haven't gotten a call back after 2 messages left, and can't even get an acknowledgment that I spent $80. Somebody actually answers the phone and takes my call at STI.

UPDATE: To be fair, they shipped the magwell on 2/4, so it only took 3 business days for shipping. The reason I didn't know it is that they shipped without charging my card yet.

S>

Edited by Seth

Innovative...

Manufacture a quality product that people will buy. Then make your parts just a little different than industry standard so the people that buy your product will have to buy replacement parts from you. Keep the tolerances tight, polish everything till it shines, don't flood the market and you can sell that part for more than everyone else.

Innovative business plan ;)

edited to add; I am an SV owner and I like it :)

Edited by DonT

I was telling someone off the board, it's like Colt and the AR. Make it different enough so they will have to buy your parts, but still be the industry standard for quality for an off the shelf gun.

Edited by OPENB

That's strange, I changed the mag catch on several SV grip with STI parts, and there were dimensionaly identical.

The main difference is quality and that SV mag catch hold the mag a bit higher than the STI, but the STI has a deeper engagement in the mag.

I modified all of my SV mag catch (on some others too) to duplicate the STI.

• 2 weeks later...

I got my SV mag catch a couple days ago, and it is indeed very different. First, the button is .311", where the STI is .281" in diameter. The "ledge" that catches on the inside of the grip is located differently. On the STI, it is a small lip about .250" from the end of the button. On the SV, it is a large ridge of steel that actually rides in the trigger slot. After the trigger is installed, the mag catch would go in behind it and share the slot, just behind it. I shot some pictures of the differences. Oh, the best part, the stainless steel mag catch with the button drilled and tapped (which I did not ask for) cost a few cents shy of $70 with shipping!!! SV may be the "inovator" but I will stick with other brands when possible.

post-5602-1234792238_thumb.jpg

post-5602-1234792674_thumb.jpg

I'm a little confused. What stops the travel of the mag release inside the grip? Does it contact the tunnel deeper inside?

Although I was a little disappointed initially with their CS, they made up for it with a great product that fits right. It did take 3 calls to get someone on the phone, but I'd definitely buy a higher quality part from them again.

• 1 year later...

I'm a little confused. What stops the travel of the mag release inside the grip? Does it contact the tunnel deeper inside?

Although I was a little disappointed initially with their CS, they made up for it with a great product that fits right. It did take 3 calls to get someone on the phone, but I'd definitely buy a higher quality part from them again.

Until they stop making the parts, the supply dries up and you're left with a high-priced paper-weight.

(just a little ticked right now)

Innovative...

Manufacture a quality product that people will buy. Then make your parts just a little different than industry standard so the people that buy your product will have to buy replacement parts from you. Keep the tolerances tight, polish everything till it shines, don't flood the market and you can sell that part for more than everyone else.

Innovative business plan ;)

edited to add; I am an SV owner and I like it :)

Blessed words... blessed truth....commercial policy to bind the customers....

That's strange, I changed the mag catch on several SV grip with STI parts, and there were dimensionaly identical.

The main difference is quality and that SV mag catch hold the mag a bit higher than the STI, but the STI has a deeper engagement in the mag.

I modified all of my SV mag catch (on some others too) to duplicate the STI.

Same experience... but recently in SVI has change production...