Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

optional transition

How does this sound, start with 5 rounds in your shotgun, engage 5 poppers then move to a box where you engage a Texas Star, the shooter may switch to pistol or reload the shotgun what do you think?

I like it. And have done it in our local matches. Not all shooters like it.

We don't use USPSA rules, so 8 +1 is not a limit,,and I think having people start with 5 rounds now and again, helps even up the ( I have a bigger tube) game.

Transition and the ability to decide what tool you want to solve the shooting problem. Is Great if you can work it in,

You will find most everyone going to their pistol. People love their handguns, love their rifles, tolerate their shotguns & reload a shotgun only when they absolutely have to. Make it worth their while, extra points for shotgun or one less plate or .......some other reason to reload. This of course depends on which rule set you are working with. If you don't care which they use, never mind but if you are trying to get folks to reload their shotty, that in itself will not do it. Been there, done it myself. hahaha. Found out after I shot & reloaded the shotgun, nobody else did. They all went to the pistol. Maybe if the pistol was unloaded & the mag & or pistol is on a barrel a ways off or something? Got to be a reward to balance out the simplicity of the pistol versus the hard headedness of most shooters. Oh yeah, I got beat, too, hahaha, & I like the shotgun & enjoy reloading it. I'm not that good at it but I like it.

One more idea, let them load maybe 8 in the shotgun so they only need to reload 2 shells but stipulate once you engage the star with the shotgun, you gotta finish with it. That might even it up. HMMM, I'm going to file that away in my little pea brain for future use. I like it. Good luck!

MLM

One more idea, let them load maybe 8 in the shotgun so they only need to reload 2 shells but stipulate once you engage the star with the shotgun, you gotta finish with it.

That will make it worth the decision, otherwise dumping the shotgun and going to a fully charged pistol is gonna' be the ticket here, UNLESS you have a Saiga ;)

So you would rather have more poppers up front the reason I picked 5 was that some people still have 5 plus 1 pump guns I want to make it fair so it will be weapon neutral, I for one will be putting an fresh mag in my Saiga, while running to the star box.

Would you rather see a more poppers to start? I really perfer longer stages myself.

thanks for the input

Topmaul, have 6 rounds in both weapons and let the shooters decide which one to use for which array. I chose 6 rounds that way revo's could play the game and it would give you one spare round for a miss, but you have to use one gun per array, and any targets left standing would be a penalty.

See how long it would take you to clear a texas star knowing you only have 6 rounds, even if it is a SG.

trapr

Edited by bigbrowndog

I would say 6 rounds to start in each gun, put a clay in the middle for sg only, a paper tgt in the middle for pistol only, clay/paper engaged anytime. start with either, reloads allowed. abandonment sg barrel and pistol bucket 1/2 way between shooting areas...

it's the "jj" twist... :roflol:

jj

BBD,

Love the 6 rounds thought but not for the reason of revo...I have yet to see a revo at a multi-gun event:-) (Ok, lack of seeing everything).

How about 5 rounds loaded for 5 targets each? Since the Star is only 5 plates I would like to shoot the star with the SG instead of the pistol...so many choices for sure.

This is a great discussion of a great idea and love the whole process. We need more stage talk!

JJ put on one hell of a match with the Johnson 3 gun and you have lots of choices, some good and some bad/poor, let the shooter decide how to answer the shooting problem within the stage discription.

I learn so much from you guys.

Keep it coming.

RLTW,

Scott

hey, cripple, there is a guy that shoots heavy metal with a Revo, at FB3G

personally I'd shoot the star with the SG as well given the limited rounds. But its always nice to give a person an out especially if there is a malfunction or misfire, at least they have enough ammo to clean the stage, that was an additional reason for 6 rounds.

trapr