Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"Open" 22 LR Steel / Practice Gun

cferree

I'm looking for some help. I want a 22 LR open gun for steel and practice. I remember a full house conversion on a STI frame someone posted several months back, but I'm looking for a budget build. Ruger MK III with a Volsquarten comp and action kit, Marvel converion for a 1911 single stack (I've got the SS), etc. What have y'all built/assembled? What "budget" optics have you used?

Before I get 10 replys saying to use the search engine, I have multiple times. The results were few and far between.

Thanks,

Charles

I use a Brown Buckmark Target with Burris fast-fire sight. It works very well for the skills I wanted to develop using a .22 (shooting with both eyes open, target transitions). The Burris sight goes for around $160.

post-12164-1233406345_thumb.jpg

I'm preparing to assemble an open .22 for use on steel.

I plan to use a Tactical Solutions 6" upper with a C-more or OKO sight.

Still trying to decide on a comp or not. A threaded barrel and comp will run about an extra $100, and not sure that I need it with a rimfire. Anyone who'd like to post a recommendation????

had some bugs at the beginning.....ejector was rubbing....but I just got back from the range with my Tacsol 1911 upper with aluminum barrel/comp and I have to say...Holy Crap! This sucker worked with the Highcap mags and 3 types of ammo as well. I shot it next to my open marvel unit and I do believe the comp works better than what I have on there.

I wont know until it warms up and I can shoot some stages back to back to see if there is a difference in performance.

post-580-1234150792_thumb.jpgIt

I would buy a Marvel/STI unit or Tacsol unit and mags and go to town. I also have the Open .22 ruger uppers and they are great, but if you are competing with 1911s....we now have the good stuff to practice with.... :cheers:

DougC

Edited by DougCarden

I am just getting started with a Marvel unit on my limited and open guns. For the open gun, I use their dovetailed top end, and for limited, I screw on the top end with a bomar-like rear and an FO front. When I get my single stack back, I plan on buying some mags for that set up as well.

I would build a dedicated pistol, but as just a top end. I get to use it with all my division pistols and changing it out takes no time at all.

Yooooh, guys !!!

Listen up ... for real. Take a look at the new Walther SP-22 system. You can mix and match components like you won't believe affordably. The M-3 model has a great adjustable trigger, and it points and balances fantastic. They even have a very nice red dot sight, not expensive, easy to change batteries with an on-off/manual-auto switch. I got all three models for myself with all the available accessories, and I am very pleased. :cheers: Any questions, just send me a PM.

Edited by Radical Precision Designs

S&W held a Steel Challenge match in Shreveport a while back. I think they let everyone shoot S&W guns to try them out. More than ten of our local shooters bought S&W .22's as a result. They go for about $219 at gun shows, and they have a rail on top to mount a C-More. Midway USA had C-More's for sale for $189 a couple of months ago.

Ruger .22's seem to work very well, too. The only problem with a C-More is the mount puts the line of sight pretty far above the bore.

whilst certainly not a expert I really enjoy shooting our buckmarks with the tac-sol barrels on them. The recovery with the 7" barrel and a docter is very fast, with the added bonus of being able to put pink grips on my wifes :)

isaac

After an indoor match last night a guy brought out a humongous Ruger .22 with an aftermarket barrel/rib thingie on it... Bout a foot long and an inch wide at the top of a squared off slide.... Shot like a dream. Now I just have to have one of these tricked out .22 pistols...

Is there a website somewhere that addresses trick .22 pistols?

I think Ken Hebert has found me a nice Buckmark so I guess that's what I will build on.

I still have a custom Marvel with a steel top and barrel tube to match the balance to an STI open gun. the scope is milled into the top of the barrel cap

I put it on my limited frame and can switch back and forth with my open gun and the 22 during practice. I never learned to tune the mags so I did have some disappointment with it that way.

I just spent so much time with my S&W mod 41 that that is hard to beat changing platforms cost me some time at the match but not much.

I should figure out how to post a photo and let some one buy it that will use it.

:rolleyes:Ken,

Most likely it was something like this?

105.jpg

I have a Buckmark with the tactical solutions barrel on it for my wiff. It shoots alright at 25yds with CCI SV but nothing like the VQ ruger I used to have. The buckmark works great as a steel gun though and is worlds less expensive and much much lighter than the VQ :)

Isaac

I have a TacSol on a long dust cover SV frame and love it. It runs great, fits in the Ghost holster like my limited, open and steel guns, has the same grip as all those guns, has the same trigger as all those guns and is about the same weight as all those guns. I've been using it for one shot draws, steel challenge practice & such. It's so much cheaper than centerfire. My converiosn is an early model with a rail mount only so no iron sights. I need to give a call up to Idaho and get the new top rail with Iron sights and a weaver rail in-between so my limited practice won't suffer :D

:rolleyes:Ken,

Most likely it was something like this?

105.jpg

I have a Buckmark with the tactical solutions barrel on it for my wiff. It shoots alright at 25yds with CCI SV but nothing like the VQ ruger I used to have. The buckmark works great as a steel gun though and is worlds less expensive and much much lighter than the VQ :)

Isaac

Yep... Thats it. It will wad em up in a little bitty hole for sure.

I've got a Buckmark with a TacSol barrel and grips, CMore sight, and the 'spring flip' trigger job.

Waaaay fun for Steel...Nice light swing weight.

Whats the spring flip trigger job?

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showt...4356&page=4

Scroll to Post #52 at the link above.

Its also known as the Heggis Flip, or Heggis trick.

Basically you just flip the hammer spring around backwards...it reduces trigger pull by approx 50% (I have not measured it, but its a very noticable reduction) If you dont like it, flip it back.

I have no gunsmithing skills...I usually just hand it to Mike Cyrwus at Accurate Iron;-) But I was able to do this one in minutes.

I'm very happy with the results. Everyone I've shown this to has been pleased.

YMMV

Edited by The Antichrome

Cool. I'll give it a try.

If you know of any other cool tricks or mods for the Buck Mark, let me know. Like some of the others, I've added a slide racker and drilled/tapped the mag release button for an extended/larger button.

Darren

Basically you just flip the hammer spring around backwards...it reduces trigger pull by approx 50% (I have not measured it, but its a very noticable reduction) If you dont like it, flip it back.

Cool. I'll give it a try.

If you know of any other cool tricks or mods for the Buck Mark, let me know. Like some of the others, I've added a slide racker and drilled/tapped the mag release button for an extended/larger button.

Darren

The slide racker sounds cool. I wonder if an extended mag release would interfere with my grip.

I'd like to have a *thumb rest [generic]* style thumb rest.

One other oddball note; I have the Tac Sol / Hogue aluminum grips...when installed they rub on the trigger return bar.

Theres a 'pocket' milled in the grip there to accomodate it, but it isnt deep enough. A few minutes of grinding took care of it. The grips are light and grippy.

Edited by The Antichrome

on the buck mark, some of the newer models have little nubbin's machined into the slides so that it makes it much easier to rack the slide back, mine, although new, does not have these :( Also, on mine the trigger flip is either being done at the factory or I just got a good one because the trigger on mine was 2.5lbs from the factory. I did the spring flip and it was 10lbs :)

I've got a Buckmark with a TacSol barrel and grips, CMore sight, and the 'spring flip' trigger job.

Waaaay fun for Steel...Nice light swing weight.

Whats the spring flip trigger job?

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showt...4356&page=4

Scroll to Post #52 at the link above.

Its also known as the Heggis Flip, or Heggis trick.

I have no gunsmithing skills...I usually just hand it to Mike Cyrwus at Accurate Iron;-) But I was able to do this one in minutes.

I'm very happy with the results. Everyone I've shown this to has been pleased.

YMMV

This trick was old one just like take AR-15 trigger spring out and replace it paper clip (make new spring out of paper clip). It isn't as good as JP spring but it is free. My friend have one of his AR-15 and it is pretty nice. Both are old finnish trick to reduce trigger pull. They both works ok. I am not sure if Heggis going to shoot with us next weekend match, but if his is there I will tell him that he is famous in USA now. :D