Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Whats the best comp combo for a 9x19 major gun

Freddie the Swede

I have a 38 super today with a four chamber comp without any poppleholes and I like it. It's light and flat.

Now I'm thinking of getting on the 9 major train som I need a new barrel and need some opinions.

I saw this Schuemann tribrid and it looks kinda interesting to have a combo of hyrbrid holes and compensator chambers directly in the barrel.

How does it recoil/kick, is it flat or not?

I really like the idea of a light gun with both ports and a comp.

Should I go this way or should I get a hybrid barrel and a separate comp or just a comp.

I shoot 124 g bullets with Vitavouri 3N37 or 3N38 powder and federal small pistol primers. (IPSC minimum is 120 grains for bullets).

I do also have 145 g lead bullets that I train with in my 38 super. Would the lead bullets work in 9mm major?

Whats your thoughts?

//Fredrik

post-16819-1233213825_thumb.png

post-16819-1233213892_thumb.jpg

Edited by Freddie the Swede

This is just my opinion, but if you like the set-up you have now, you will hate that combination in the picture. I shot one like that last weekend at a match. It was like shooting a limited gun that was not quite set up right. The recoil was flippy instead of a push to the rear. I also tried a hybrid/comped gun last year and did not notice it being any flatter than just a regular comped gun. Now both of my open guns have storm lake barrels and an EGW 9 major comp.

Edited by Fireant

If you like your 38 super set up now just do similar set up with your Major 9 gun. If your new Major 9 feels just like your 38 super everything is fine. If not and you don't like the set up then start making changes.

I have all my Major 9 guns only with comp and without any poppleholes and I like them that way better.

My 2 open are 5in slides. STIframe/Caspian and the other is SVIframe/SVIslide. Slides are lightened but not hybrid style (?) cut.

When i switched from 38s to 9major, i bought brazos 1 piece barrel/comp.

I use 124gr and 3n38 and i like this barrel/bullet/load combo. very accurate if i do my part. Very small movement of c more dot. 2nd shot is just a sliver away from the first.

No problem from day 1 and that was 3 years ago.

It all depends on whether you are very sensitive to back blast. I had a Tanfoglio V12 that had popple holes in it and the back blast was much worse than just a standard comp but the recoil was so minimal that it is still the best open gun I have ever shot. If you are sensitive to back blast then you just want a regular comp and no holes in the actual barrel. Just my $.02.

IMO and experience with 9 Major builds---Forget the Schuemann tribrid! Requires to much powder. You would be slopping powder reloading, limiting your powder choices, and generating higher pressures than needed. In addition, I do not think you would get as flat and soft shooting 9 major with that barrel that as you could with other comps.

dido on Matt's post bedell comp last chamber cut off and if you want a flatter shooting gun, mill some holes in the barrel. The best I have shot is titanium bedell comp with 2 V-8 holes 3/32 in size. I have shot dozens of guns and built several open guns and that was the best open gun I have shot. The gun you have pictures of is an ear killer and a beast to hold on to.

Edited by mcattack

The softest, flattest 9mm open gun I shot was an MC open gun. Derek has come up with a new comp that has a much larger first chamber, like some of the new AR15 comps. The gun felt like I was shooting minor but super flat.

I found a Schuemann five hole hyrbricomp barrel with a Clark/Para ramp in the classifieds for the Sweet price of $125 (can you beat that?).

I didn't look for a hybrid barrel but the price was right so I bought it right away.

I have a Wilson cut frame but I read that you can cut it to match the W/N ramp in the frame.

Still wanna keep my Nowlin 38 barrel som I can swap between barrels/calibers.

What do you think about combinating this with a Bedell Titanium comp?

Please remember that PF in IPSC is only 160 and I'm using Vitavouri 3N37 or 3N38 for powder.

Bullets will be 124 grainers and I will use a long OAL in my SPS mags.

The barrel is a generic .355 that needs to be cut. What are your recommendations for freebore (if any)?

//Fredrik

Does anybody have pics for MC Derek's new comp?
Edited by Freddie the Swede

I prefer the Bedell Ti comp with the last port cut off.
Bedell Titanium comp will be good choice when you have 5" slide with it. :cheers:

You may want cut to first side ports off.

I think we both mean same ports to cut off. It depend where you look at the comp and which direction you start counting the ports. But Matts way to count seems like more logical way when I think counting again. :blush:

I tried it and can't tell the difference. I do see good gas tracks even in that last chamber so it is doing something but I couldn't tell the difference in the dot.

Gear geeks develop the stuff the rest of you 'have to have' in time.....

:surprise:

I prefer to use the EGW comp that Brownells sells, I have also been using several of the Jim Hand comps that EGW sells

In my opinion what you want on your gun and you practice a lot that comp will be the best one for you.

I think ive probably used about all the comps out their and some that arent around anymore and the only time I could really tell the differance

was when I was fooling with the 9x25 some years back and then the 5 port up edm comp that EGW

sells was the best with that caliber, Ive video taped differant guns and I dont feel that there is a heck of

a lot of differance in the comps,I feel that most gunsmiths probably have a little more forearm strength than some folks do so the recoil

isnt the same to them as to some.

When I shoot open I shoot a 38 super and I have the Caspian X comp on it , I like it. :bow:

Maybe let your gunsmith pick the comp for your gun and shoot heck out of it.

Jim/Pa

Sailors :):devil:

Maybe let your gunsmith pick the comp for your gun and shoot heck out of it.

Jim/Pa

Sailors :):devil:

My point exactly, it's an Indian arrow, cowboy lasso situation, comps haven't changed in 10 or more years, and they all pretty much work the same. Find a gear geek and he will convince you X brand is better than Y brand, he probably hasn’t shot Y at all, or ever, and he likes to look smart in front of his friends who all think X brand is the best.

Hi Tzygä,

I hope to find a good gunsmith in some of the Nordic countries (Sweden, Finland and Norway).

If I can't find one I will look in the EU.

Do you have any suggestions?

I guess that you live in Finland as your name suggests? But I can be wrong.

Where are you from?

//Fredrik

Fredrik are you going to install new barrel and comp by yourself?

Hi Tzygä,

I hope to find a good gunsmith in some of the Nordic countries (Sweden, Finland and Norway).

If I can't find one I will look in the EU.

Do you have any suggestions?

I guess that you live in Finland as your name suggests? But I can be wrong.

Where are you from?

//Fredrik

Fredrik are you going to install new barrel and comp by yourself?

He's from Finland