Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any interest in another big 3 gun match?

I've only done a few 3 gun matches, but the ones I've done either had you ground your weapon when you finished with it and switched to another or, occasionally, load a limited number of rounds in the rifle, shoot it till empty, then leave it slung while finishing with pistol. How would you handle your transitions from rifle to pistol and then back to rifle?

In our PR match, you will load the rifle with 2 rounds for the first part of the COF. You are allowed an additional magazine with 4 rounds for the final rifle portion. The handgun side of it will allow the competitor to reload as needed, and reholster a hot safe weapon to drop to a knee to fire 2 rounds each on the remaining 2 targets.

I'm sure our PR match is very different than what is standard with a 3 gun type of event. We probably wouldn't put much of a limit on how many rounds you can fire in the 3 gun. We expect our PR guys to be just that, precision rifle marksmen, and as such they only get 2 rounds. It's points or a zero.

Both DT1 and Benelli2 are shooting in The Practical Marksman Challenge at the end of Feb. so at that point I can get a lot from these guys on stage design and what not. I would also plan to employ the help of Larry Turner and Linda Chico, if they were available and willing to help out.

We would probably score the event whatever way LChico wants to, as I imagine she has a good idea on how you guys like everything scored and what works best for her as well.

Hey Kgunz11, you are talking about three gunning here!! If we have three targets to hit with the rifle, I want to start with a 40 rounder in the gun and have another 30 in the back pocket! In all seriousnous (sp?) , the stage you described would be good, but a more typicall three gun stage would be about 10 10" plates at 100 yds for the rifle, drop your slung rifle and hit the shoot house with a MINIMUM of 10 pistol targets, exit the shoot house and engage 10 more targets out to what ever distance is good for the bay, could be 100-400 yds. Also, give us some options. Put a pick nick bench with sandbags down, and bags on the ground, or make us monopod, or what ever, just give us some options! Half of the fun of this is to figure out a problem and solve it, not be ducks in a row where everyone is FORCED to do it the same way. Also, as stated above, get Linda and the girls for scoring. They rock and have this down to a science like you wouldn't believe. Don't overlook this detail!! To sit around and wait for three hours for the final stats (like a bigger match in NC,) is crazy. Don't know if I'll do that again. Sounds like your place will host a great match.

Practical Marksman Challenge This sounds like fun, but haven't seen a reference to it before. What range is it at, when, application, web page, write-up, cost, directions. Any information would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Practical Marksman Challenge This sounds like fun, but haven't seen a reference to it before. What range is it at, when, application, web page, write-up, cost, directions. Any information would be greatly appreciated. thanks

The Practical Marksman Challenge 2009

As for holstering a hot safe weapon, it's a real world activity. While you don't have to do it under time in USPSA, many classifiers mandate you holster a safe, hot weapon. I guess we could require competitors to ULSC when exiting the shoot house or allow them to pitch the pistol in a milk crate.

There is no need to decide how guns will be grounded at this point, or hot holstered, or anything else. No need to open any worm cans, or any reason to leave things open to speculation or pontification at this stage of development. All that can be addressed in the stage design. Don't even worry about it now.

Mike

I've always questioned why people have such a problem with holstering a hot weapon? You draw a hot weapon, you simply do it in reverse. Keep your booger hook off the bang switch. But then again, I shoot from a real holster, and what I've read about PMC is that its a real world type challenge. Meaning its probably not for "race" holsters. Just my .02, which is probably not worth that now. ;)

There is no need to decide how guns will be grounded at this point, or hot holstered, or anything else. No need to open any worm cans, or any reason to leave things open to speculation or pontification at this stage of development. All that can be addressed in the stage design. Don't even worry about it now.

Mike

This is very sound advice from Mike.

there's alot of 3-gunners in the southeast, alabama, georgia, florida. we had over 50 at our last local, fla. west coast, 'hernando sportsman club' match last month, so..... after last years USPSA area 6 match, i'll definitely check out something else within driving distance, and i know some friends that i'm sure will go. this summer sounds good to me, i like it hot, and there hasn't been any matches around the SE in early summer to my recent knowledge. make it a real 3-gun match, not some watered-down pistol match w/rifles and shotgun type thing. all the above advice sounds good, ask some questions about stages from some more experienced competitors, the guys around the Ft. Benning match won't steer you wrong! let's get it on........

there's alot of 3-gunners in the southeast, alabama, georgia, florida. we had over 50 at our last local, fla. west coast, 'hernando sportsman club' match last month, so..... after last years USPSA area 6 match, i'll definitely check out something else within driving distance, and i know some friends that i'm sure will go. this summer sounds good to me, i like it hot, and there hasn't been any matches around the SE in early summer to my recent knowledge. make it a real 3-gun match, not some watered-down pistol match w/rifles and shotgun type thing. all the above advice sounds good, ask some questions about stages from some more experienced competitors, the guys around the Ft. Benning match won't steer you wrong! let's get it on........

I can promise you that with the terrain on that range, it won't be a pistol match with rifles.

There are things in those woods man has not seen, or ever thought of, but some of us have heard the cries at dusk...

Seriously though, our PR match isn't a candy ass match for a buncha gucci gear queers. We don't have time to be waiting on someone to be digging through their crap to find their ammo when they are suppose to be shooting. Easy way to do that is to require they have it on them ALL the time, so when they come to the line of fire, they have their junk somewhat together.

I would start by reading here;

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=57013

and here;

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=76404

Print these, compare stuff, and do lotsa thinking...

Next, go to the websites of ALL the major matches, and download/print the rules, including USPSA.

Print these, compare stuff, and do lotsa thinking...

Next, go to your doctor and get your head examined... :goof:

If you then decide to go on with the madness, make sure you get a good therapist, and LOTS of helpers.

And don't be afraid to ask ANYONE anything. This includes asking other match directors questions.

jj

Thanks for the advice Rigger, but I plan to let the shooters make the decisions on how they want it scored and what rules they want to use. I'm just going to set up some really fun and dynamic courses.

Thanks for the advice Rigger, but I plan to let the shooters make the decisions on how they want it scored and what rules they want to use. I'm just going to set up some really fun and dynamic courses.

Are you serious? It will probably take about 4 years to get a concensus. :ph34r:

You will find that shooters are usually vehemently in favor of a specific scoring system, but will shoot the others. Any personal preference they have for a rule set and scoring system is easily overridden if the match has creative and fun stages. The object of 3 gun is "fun" and putting rounds downrange. Opening this debate again advances neither of those objectives.

My suggestion is that you decide what kind of match you want, and then pick the set of rules and scoring system which suits those goals. Otherwise, you will waste a lot of time re-hashing the points already made on this forum, on the range, and in bars all over the world.

Linda Chico (L-2035)

Columbia SC

If it were only that easy Linda. I know very little about the competitive side of 3 gun, I just know how to shoot all 3 of them. I just thought we had this really unique opportunity to do something over the top. I have come to the realization that shooting for the stars at a first match probably isn't a real good idea. If we do this, we'll probably start small and work our way up. What is small for us might be rather large for most.

Four forward firing points, 2 squads of 10 at each one. That allows for 8 shooters simultaneously. Each stage has a par time of 5 minutes per shooter plus 5 min of reset time. So to run 10 people through 1 stage it would take 2 hours. If we used 6 long courses and 4 short courses we should be able to get in 10 total Courses of Fire over a 2 day period. I need to do a little more thinking on some things, but from afar it seems doable.

I'm going to pick the brain of a few very experienced 3 gunners on the actual property, and we'll see where it goes.

If you have the ablility to host a large 3 gun match in the south east, I am confident that you will have great success. While there is a perception that only good three gun matches are in the West, the success of the Blue Ridge Three Gun and the Ft Benning Match and the Area 6 clearly speak otherwise. I can not also help but note that all three of these matches attract serious three gun shooters from all over, including the western states. This would be a very exciting additon to match offerings in our area.

Charles Bond