Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Yankee Hill lightweight FF tube for mid length

chp5

I build a lightweight mid-length upper and I'm interested in a lightweight FF tube at <$100 or so.

Anyone have feedback on the Yankee Hill lightweight tube? Will it protect the shooter against heat?

yhm_lightweight_forearms.jpg

hi cy,

i have one on my DPMS, it came with it already attached. the tube is nice, but, i didn't like the feel of the rails. so, i put the guard rail potectors on the tube and it feels much better.

lynn

Thanks Lynn. Does it get your hand really hot when you shoot a lot of rounds?

My JP FF tube has a lot of holes, but doesn't get hot. I had a non-vented FF tube that got hot as hell!

4 rail tubes, kinda like gripping a saw blade... Besides, if you get a light 4 rail handguard and then have to cover it up with rail covers for comfort (adding weight), doesn't that defeat the purpose?

For a FF tube, under a $100, how about a Clark carbon fiber handguard? Comes in at 6.2 oz. Have three, like the hell outta 'em.

Edited by ken hebert

I have one of these on my Nordic 10/22. It came with it and I got a sweeeet deal on it. I do not like it at all. Too rough.

I use the YHM customizable free float tube on my AR and like it much better. Heat has never been much of an issue.

hi cy,

i have one on my DPMS, it came with it already attached. the tube is nice, but, i didn't like the feel of the rails. so, i put the guard rail potectors on the tube and it feels much better.

lynn

Thanks Lynn. Does it get your hand really hot when you shoot a lot of rounds?

My JP FF tube has a lot of holes, but doesn't get hot. I had a non-vented FF tube that got hot as hell!

cy, there is plenty of room for the heat to escape and the tube doesn'y get hot. put your fingers in the holes and watch out! :)

lynn

I've got one of the smooth ones I think they call it customizable and the attatchment is alot easier than JP. It is also a couple of ounces lighter. I'm not sure how well the lock ring holds as I have not shot it alot and you do need a special wrench for it. I just got the JP and I'll probably switch but I'm dreading the two day install process.

Mule

I have YHM rails on almost all of my AR's. I they are a great deal for the money. Only thing I recommend (besides rail protecters - I agree they are sharp) is the wrench YHM sells to install them. It is much easier to put them on with their wrench than a strap wrench and you don't bugger them up as much.

If the rails being sharp bothers you, you might want to try these:

Smooth Carbine Forend

But I think they only offer them in Carbine or Rifle.

There is also the customizable handguards, which was mentioned above.

I build a lightweight mid-length upper and I'm interested in a lightweight FF tube at <$100 or so.

Anyone have feedback on the Yankee Hill lightweight tube? Will it protect the shooter against heat?

yhm_lightweight_forearms.jpg

I've got a new mid lenght lightweight for sale $100. I bought it for a project that is not going forward.

BG

Another vote for the Clark carbon fiber handguard. Have installed three. No disappointments yet.

Mhearn

Mark - it doesn't look like they make them in mid-length and I'd like to add a rail.

I have two of them, one on my .45 and the the other on my "match" rifle. I really like them, but I don't know that there's any advantage to them for this type of shooting.

Although... my original plan for the rifle was rather than mounting the rails at the normal 12, 3, 6 & 9 o'clock position, I was going to mount it like an "X" and put iron sights on it. Never did though.

Another vote for the Clark carbon fiber handguard. Have installed three. No disappointments yet.

Mhearn

Mark - it doesn't look like they make them in mid-length and I'd like to add a rail.

You can cut a carbon fiber forearm to any length you want, and drill holes and mount a generic countoured rail via machine screws with a washer and nut. Same way the sling stud is mounted. If you are going to cut/drill it, do it wet so you don't inhale any of the fibers.

Mhearn

PRI GenIII carbon forearms are awsome. Pricey, but you get what you pay for. I have two and a clark carbon fiber tube. I don't like the clark nearly as much.

Mhearn

PRI GenIII carbon forearms are awsome. Pricey, but you get what you pay for. I have two and a clark carbon fiber tube. I don't like the clark nearly as much.

For $300 or so, they should be nice!