Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 S&W with SDB

sperman

I about to switch over to re-loading .40 S&W. My SDB has been great for .45 ACP and 9mm, but I'm worried about the .40 S&W. I have lots of brass from the range, and I'm sure quite a bit of it came out of Glocks.

Will my SDB be OK? Should I just go ahead and upgrade to a 650?

I think you'll be okay. I load on .40 on a SDB and I use all kinds of brass. Shoot it out of both my STI and my XD without any probblems.

I guess that's good news. I'll have to find something else to spend my tax refund on. :D

You didn't say anything about a tax refund. I need bullets powder and primers LOL. Seriously I do one thing I pick out all the winchester brass and use it in the STI. Just something to think about seems to be better brass to me.

I load .40 on a SDB for SV, STI, and Glock. I would say it depends on how tight your chamber is. Some are more forgiving and I don't have any issues when I chamber check my completed rounds. Two of my barrels are tight and I have 5% or so rejects. I run them through the crimp die a few times each and my rejects are reduced to 0.5% or so. Approximately.

I have been thinking about getting a single stage and the ".40 Gizmo", a die that you press the brass all the way through. It would be nice, but I have survived for a few years just loading with the SDB as is.

HTH,

splash

The resizing die on an SDB in .40 won't remove enough of the Glock belly to allow that brass to work in most 1911 style guns. If it's going back in a Glock it'll likely be okay. I had to add a U-die to my turret press and run all my once-fired Glock brass through that before it would work in either of my STI .40s. R,

The resizing die on an SDB in .40 won't remove enough of the Glock belly to allow that brass to work in most 1911 style guns. If it's going back in a Glock it'll likely be okay. I had to add a U-die to my turret press and run all my once-fired Glock brass through that before it would work in either of my STI .40s. R,

That was the answer I was expecting. Unfortunately the first few responses were positive, so I already ordered a conversion kit for my SDB. We'll see what happens.

I load .40 on a SDB for SV, STI, and Glock. I would say it depends on how tight your chamber is. Some are more forgiving and I don't have any issues when I chamber check my completed rounds. Two of my barrels are tight and I have 5% or so rejects. I run them through the crimp die a few times each and my rejects are reduced to 0.5% or so. Approximately.

I have been thinking about getting a single stage and the ".40 Gizmo", a die that you press the brass all the way through. It would be nice, but I have survived for a few years just loading with the SDB as is.

HTH,

splash

Does your SV or STI have a Schuemann barrel in it?

I load .40 on my SDB and depending on the brass, I have had as high as 10% reject rate out of my Schuemann in my SV. I case gage every round and if it does not fall in and out of the gage, it does not go near my SV. If I pick up Glock brass at an IPSC match, the reject rate is lower sometimes. Any rejects that are close in the gage go in a practice pile for other guns.

Edited by TM262

I load .40 on my SDB and depending on the brass, I have had as high as 10% reject rate out of my Schuemann in my SV. I case gage every round and if it does not fall in and out of the gage, it does not go near my SV. If I pick up Glock brass at an IPSC match, the reject rate is lower sometimes. Any rejects that are close in the gage go in a practice pile for other guns.

I might also try to fit a Lee Factory die on my SDB. If I can turn down the threads on the die, and open the threads in the toolhead, just maybe ...

I'll know if it's feasable once the parts show up.

I might also try to fit a Lee Factory die on my SDB. If I can turn down the threads on the die, and open the threads in the toolhead, just maybe ...

Having just looked at an SDB .40 resizing "die" (it's really more of an insert" I don't think that's going to be possible.

Forget the Factory Crimp Die. It can help hide the problem, but doesn't get rid of it nearly as well as the undersized die does. Get something like a Lee Reloader Single Stage press ($26) and a Lee/EGW U-die ($22), run the brass through that before loading on your SDB and you'll get pretty much 100% that pass the case gauge. I don't recall ever having a single round fail to case gauge that was loaded that way.

The only problem I've ever had loading .40 on my SDB was the fault of oversized bullets. The resizer does a good job. I came back from a Glock shoot school with about 10k rounds of glocked brass. Since I switched to jacketed bullets, I have not had one single failure.

Having just looked at an SDB .40 resizing "die" (it's really more of an insert" I don't think that's going to be possible.

Forget the Factory Crimp Die. It can help hide the problem, but doesn't get rid of it nearly as well as the undersized die does. Get something like a Lee Reloader Single Stage press ($26) and a Lee/EGW U-die ($22), run the brass through that before loading on your SDB and you'll get pretty much 100% that pass the case gauge. I don't recall ever having a single round fail to case gauge that was loaded that way.

If I'm going to have to run all my brass through a single stage press before reloading on my SDB I'll invest in a 650.

Thanks to everyone for all of their advice.

If I'm going to have to run all my brass through a single stage press before reloading on my SDB I'll invest in a 650.

Thanks to everyone for all of their advice.

I should clarify...you only have to do that the first time you load that brass. Once you've shot it in your guns the SDB die would work fine. R,

Hello: You are loading the 2 best pistol calibers to load on the SDB. If you are loading 40 for a Glock with a stock barrel then it works great. If you have a pistol with a Schuemann 1911 barrel you will find that some will not go in or will get stuck. What I did was resize all my brass in a single stage press with the "U" die then load on the SDB. I would mark my brass to know what was resized brass shot from my 2011. After that they could be reloaded on the SDB. This took some time to do, so I bought a used RL1050 and sold the SDB. I should have kept the SDB just to load 9mm and 45 on. I now have a 550 I am going to play with as well as the RL1050. I want to try to make the 550 a self turning press like the SDB and the rest of the Dillon lineup. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

...and to restate...I currently load 100% Glock fired brass through my SDB with zero issues at all (they get shot though several STI's). It gets rid of the bulge just fine.

You just trying to argue or something? :P

Your guns might have somewhat generous chambers. In two STI .40 barrels and one Schuemann .40 barrel I get nearly a 100% failure rate if I try to reload brass that's been shot out of my Glocks (four of them in .40) and then loaded with just an SDB resize die. Heck, they stick out of the chamber what seems like a quarter of an inch...not even close. Clearly, plenty of other folks are running into the same issue. I doubt very highly that there's much variation in the dies, so it's got to be individual to each chamber.

I'd be willing to bet that if you measured the diameter of the case (just forward of the extractor groove) after you've resized them on an SDB and compared that with a factory round you'd find a noticable difference. I bet you'd find a similar difference if you measured a case resized on an SDB and compared it to one resized on even a standard Lee resize die and even more using a U-die.

...and to restate...I currently load 100% Glock fired brass through my SDB with zero issues at all (they get shot though several STI's). It gets rid of the bulge just fine.

You just trying to argue or something? :P

Your guns might have somewhat generous chambers. In two STI .40 barrels and one Schuemann .40 barrel I get nearly a 100% failure rate if I try to reload brass that's been shot out of my Glocks (four of them in .40) and then loaded with just an SDB resize die. Heck, they stick out of the chamber what seems like a quarter of an inch...not even close. Clearly, plenty of other folks are running into the same issue. I doubt very highly that there's much variation in the dies, so it's got to be individual to each chamber.

I'd be willing to bet that if you measured the diameter of the case (just forward of the extractor groove) after you've resized them on an SDB and compared that with a factory round you'd find a noticable difference. I bet you'd find a similar difference if you measured a case resized on an SDB and compared it to one resized on even a standard Lee resize die and even more using a U-die.

Nope, not at all. Just wanted be restate that I have experience on it and that it has been positive. My .45 barrel is shuemann, but my .40's are STI and KKM. Also, I think it matters less the barrel make and more the person reaming the chamber. All of the barrels have to be reamed anyway. My old Lone wolf G23 barrel in .40 was tighter than anything I've seen. That one had to be opened up a bit to run .401 moly's.

I love my SDB. I guess I'm biased. I want another so I can run both .45 and .40's without changing anything.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah dies and chanbers make a difference guys. I have been reloading .40 on a 650 for several years now and never had a problem until Monday night. At our local match just happened to be a special qualifier match. I just got a new brazos edge only had 200 rounds through it but thought I would go ahead and shoot it. Well had some major ammo problems had to switch to my eagle to finish the match. Every round would chamber in the eagle about 50% would not in the edge. I have always used my barrel as a case guage and all this ammo was guaged through the eagle barrel. So since my sizing die is just touching my shell plate it looks like the die will have to visit the lathe before more reloading is done.

David

You realize you could just file some of the taper off the Dillon SDB die and get it to size lower on the case. I don't have a SDB but it would seem to me the carbide is up in the sizing die far higher then a Lee for instance. Just remove some of the bottom of the die and get it to size lower. Leave just a little bit of flare of course.

You realize you could just file some of the taper off the Dillon SDB die and get it to size lower on the case. I don't have a SDB but it would seem to me the carbide is up in the sizing die far higher then a Lee for instance. Just remove some of the bottom of the die and get it to size lower. Leave just a little bit of flare of course.

I don't think that will work on a SDB. The position of the shell plate relative to the sizing die cannot be changed. There's a shoulder on the die that rests on a shoulder inside the press. Unless of course you have a lathe, then perhaps you have more options.

I don't think that will work on a SDB. The position of the shell plate relative to the sizing die cannot be changed. There's a shoulder on the die that rests on a shoulder inside the press. Unless of course you have a lathe, then perhaps you have more options.

So no adjustablity is available down?