Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone else change out slide stops?

mike4045

Timely thread for me. I have shot G17, G34 and G35 with extended slide stop without problem... until now. I added a Dawson Magwell on my G35 and I think it caused my grip to change just enough so I was hitting the slide stop in the middle of my magazine. I first thought it might have been a mag or COL problem. Replaced it with a std slide stop and I think it's all set now.

The question is:

In Limited- can you grid the part of the slide stop that hits the follower to ensure it doesn't happen again? Is there any real need in USPSA to have the gun lock back? And lastly- if you simple remove the slide stop will that cause any problems? I know some Open guns that won't lock back but I think they modify the followers not the slide stop itself.

You can. I'd rather have the gun be able to lock back. If it is strictly a Limited/L-10 gun, then you can grid it down externally. I have a standard slide stop/release that I got off a guy that had ground he back half off of it. That isn't Production legal, though.

• 1 month later...
:cheers: I have had to change the slide lock spring out of both my Prod and Limited gun. The spring gets worn pretty quick if you shoot as much as most of us do. It might not be your grip, the spring was worn and with the recoil it would pop up and lock the slide. Briam W. pointed it out to me and said he had the same issue. Once you replace the slide lock spring, whether it is on an extened or standard slide lock you will see the difference. :ph34r:

I finally had the issue of pressing up the slide stop with my support hand (during and IDPA classifier no less... I really don't mean to sandbag...). I have been improving my grip, and it is "improved" to the point that I catch the slide stop now. Quick fix though- changed it out for a low profile one, all better now.

Well, I guess I'm a freak. I'm a right hander and I prefer the extended slide stop. I have them on four different glocks to include my G24 with a huge SJC magwell on it. Been shooting like this for three years without any problems.

Well, I guess I'm a freak. I'm a right hander and I prefer the extended slide stop. I have them on four different glocks to include my G24 with a huge SJC magwell on it. Been shooting like this for three years without any problems.

I must be a freak too. I have never activated the extended slide stop on any of my Glocks. That's with a Dawson magwell on the limited/L10 gun.

On the other hand the extended mag releases with the big buttons have given me grief in the past, and now I just use the factory extended mag release.

The Glock factory part is, AFAIK, the mag release from the G20/21. In the 9mm and fo'ty Glock guns, it's quite extended. It's too much for my giant hands, although I shoot a 19 that borders on being too small a gun for my bear paws. My previous 19 had a Vickers mag release in it that Tango Down makes, and that was, for me and the guys I shoot with, the perfect compromise. Go figure: Larry Vickers knows a couple things about some guns.

I prefer the Glock extended slide stop/release-on all of my Glocks. Since I shoot thumb-over-thumb, the problems that others have when shooting high-thumbs/thumb(s) forward are a non-issue for me. I like how the extended part gives ME the option of which method of releasing the slide into battery is best per situation.

While I don't have a problem with the extended magazine release on my G34, I can certainly see where it could cause problems if the gun was placed left side down on a hard surface, potentially inadvertantly activating the magazine release. While I don't plan on removing it from my G34, neither will I add it to any of my other Glocks.

Best, Jon

I like how the extended part gives ME the option of which method of releasing the slide into battery is best per situation.

Why would the best method of releasing the slide change per situation? And how would the extended slide release make a difference? If you're talking about depressing the slide stop with the shooting hand thumb, I think this is a very bad technique. The problem you have with this technique is that in order to make it work you have to (1) insert the mag all the way (at this point you already have your thumb on the slide stop, natch), then (2) hit the slide release. As you move to become faster, especially under stress, it's not at all unknown to get the two steps reversed, to hit the slide stop before the mag has fully seated. And when that happens you get a click instead of a bang because the slide has closed on an empty chamber.

By contrast, if you hit the slide stop with the support hand thumb you CAN'T drop the slide on an empty chamber, because the thumb can't physically reach the slide stop until AFTER the magazine has been fully inserted.

Duane, all I can say is that I haven't had a problem using the slide stop/release to expeditiously get my Glocks from slidelock into battery. I acknowledge what you're saying (as well as acknowledging your higher IDPA ranking/accomplishments over mine), but still prefer not only to have the Glock extended slide stop/release as an option, but more often than not I prefer to actually use it as my preferrred method.

An advantage of using the slide stop/release is that there is an uninterrupted (or less interrupted/obscured) sight picture provided during the process of going from slidelock into battery. There is also some potential for minimizing body part exposure (i;.e., arms/elbows) during the process (but if you're properly utilizing cover/concealment such is admittedly probably a minor advantage).

A situational reason necessitating one technique over another could devolve around how many hands you actually have available at the time to accomplish the task-with constraints occurring through incapacitation or the weak hand being occupied with a concurrent task.

For those interested, recently there was a pretty thorough discussion of using slide releases vs. slingshottting/overhand techniques on the www.M4carbine .net forum, in the Handguns section-look for the thread titled "Glock 17 Extended Slide Release."

Best, Jon

Edited by JonInWA

<lone voice on the opposite side of the fence mode>

I like the extended slide release - haven't had any problems w/ it (I have really small hands, which may be the difference).

I also use the extended mag release.

I'm with you...another of the apparently lonely few who actually like the extended slide release and have no problems with it.

I have hands that would probably be a little larger than average (long fingers).

Curtis