Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon ammo boxes: No longer translucent?

:surprise::unsure::angry2::roflol:

Gee, all this over changing the material in the ammo boxes?!?! I suspect that if you are looking at a boxes of 9mm, 9mm major, or 38 super, you are going to open the box anyway. Dang, I even look to verify when the boxes are labeled.

just my opinon :rolleyes:

dj

:surprise::unsure::angry2::roflol:

Gee, all this over changing the material in the ammo boxes?!?! I suspect that if you are looking at a boxes of 9mm, 9mm major, or 38 super, you are going to open the box anyway. Dang, I even look to verify when the boxes are labeled.

dj

He-he... how are we all gonna live now with those solid boxes? :)

However, being able to see through is very nice convenience. I often develop loads, with different parameters, and natch don't use the stickers, until it is finalized, but rather put the yellow Post-It inside with inscription, which I can read through the box.

• 11 months later...

The plastic ammo boxes are indeed an opaque blue. This is a stronger, more flexible material. The plastic supplier calls it "NoBreak".

We filled a 45ACP box with ammo, and dropped it from the top of the stairs (2nd floor) to the concrete floor- No damage to the box, and the latch stayed closed. We feel this is a superior product to offer. :cheers:

in all honesty i like them

I wonder if the new supplier could figure out how to make their material translucent? Good engineers can do wonders on occasion. May not be possible, but it's an idea.

It could be that the colour additive is where the strength comes from.

Dye, especially in polymers and plastics, can cause weakness in certain mixtures. Hence why Magpul went with black with their original PMAG.

Would I like to be able to see through the boxes? Hell yeah, but I break my translucent MGM ammo boxes all the time. My opaque boxes from Dillon are pretty dang tough.

• 3 weeks later...

Nature abhors vacuum. You leave the space - something moves into it.

My latest order for 30 translucent boxes arrived today from Berry's Bullets.

Price was right, and quality seems pretty high. Would I rather go with Dillon? Perhaps, but I don't have that choice any longer. I can't stand solid boxes.

In many, many years of using dozens of Dillon boxes I broke one. This is the chance I can take.

If I drop a box of ammo on concrete or the ground and the ammo box breaks I am not blaming the $2.50 box.

But if you dropped a box of ammo on concrete or the ground and the $2.50 ammo box did NOT break, would that not be a better thing?

You bet it would. I agree completely.

I don't care if I can see in them or not - they're sturdy as heck and don't break. Why do you need to see in them? The weight gives away the content, whether it's partial or full, and they've got these sticky things you can put on the outside and write on! Besides, my wonderful Cabela's translucent boxes all have cracks and holes in them from even a minor spill. I'll take the dillons!

Edited by gohuskers

I had several issues over the years with the "Old" style breaking when dropped or knocked off the reloading table. I just gave up and started using MTM boxes, No breakage with them.

I might have to try the "new" Dillon boxes out to test durabilty.

Edited by Beans

I had several issues over the years with the "Old" style breaking when dropped or knocked off the reloading table.

"Something in the way she move..." :)

In about 30 years I remember dropping a box with ammo once.