Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

College Football put in perspective!

zhunter

Here is an article for all you Pac-10'ers and Gator Haters!!! Makes a lot of sense, pay special attention to #1

Pete Fiutak says you can't argue with this: Florida is the best team in college football."--

by Pete Fiutak

For more previews, predictions and prognostications, go to CollegeFootballNews.com.

Updated: January 12, 2009, 2:48 AM EST 788 comments

add this RSS blog email Print

I cannot believe I have to write this because it's so obvious, but apparently, I have to take time from my postseason nap because of all the dopey talking heads out there, along with an incoming president who needs to spend every waking second figuring out how to come up with 3 million new jobs, who can't seem able to compare and contrast teams by actually turning on this new-fangled thing called a "TV" to watch them play.

Florida is the best team in America for 2008 by every and any measure you want to go by. Period. End of story. National champion, Florida Gators. Done.

If you want to rail on the system, go right ahead, but your day was a month ago when the final BCS standings came out. If you want to debate Florida vs. the rest of the country, as the Clovers would say, bring it on.

This is not an anti-USC, Utah, or Texas argument, but today, and this season, is all about Florida. And here's why ...

1. Florida played 11 bowl teams. 11, and that doesn't count Tennessee or Arkansas. Take a step back and let that one sink in for a moment. It beat two No. 1 teams, and outside of the loss to Ole Miss, no one came closer than 23 points until the SEC championship game.

2. If you're going to bring up the Ole Miss loss as evidence of anything, you either a) didn't actually watch the game or B) are totally incapable of putting that game in the context of the other losses out there this season. From a blocked extra point, to two missed touchdown passes late, to Tebow getting stopped on a fourth and inches, to a blown coverage, several things had to happen for Florida to lose to the eventual Cotton Bowl winner and 15th-ranked team in the final polls, by one point. Absolutely, a loss is a loss, but it's not the indictment you probably think it is.

3. Stop bringing up the fact that Utah beat Alabama by 11, just like Florida. No, I don't believe 'Bama automatically beats the Utes if Andre Smith was playing, but if you can't understand how vital the No. 2 pick in the NFL Draft and the best left tackle in college football is, and how Utah was able to destroy the Tide offense that was down to a third-string left tackle, then I can't help you. Also, Florida beat the Tide without Percy Harvin, arguably one of the five best players in America. If you don't think that matters, you didn't watch the national title game.

4. Again, notice the margin of victory in the Florida games this year. Utah needed missed kicks and an epic late drive to get by a TCU team that Oklahoma throttled. The Utes also got pushed around by a miserable Michigan team and played three other games this year decided by seven points or fewer, including a 13-10 tussle with New Mexico. If you think that Florida's defense, the one that held the greatest scoring machine in the history of college football to 14 points, couldn't deal with the speed and precision of the Utah attack, then again, I can't help you.

5. USC couldn't handle Daryll Clark and the Penn State offense in the second half of the Rose Bowl, so what makes you think for a split second that it could stop Florida's offense? Don't you dare. Don't ... you ... dare ... suggest that USC's D took its foot off the gas in the second half of that game, because then I'll have to give you a helmet and a shiny ball of tin foil to play with over in the corner. If you try to bring this up, then you simply have no clue about the pride of a USC defense that wanted DESPERATELY to make an all-timer of a statement against the Nittany Lions.

6. USC would've beaten Ohio State no matter what, but it has to keep being brought up ... if you can't tell the difference between the Ohio State team that battled Penn State and lost to Texas and the one that soiled itself against the Trojans, again, can't help you. If anyone out there actually bothered to watch the 17-10 win over Arizona, the 17-3 win over Cal, the 28-7 win over UCLA, the Oregon State loss, and also watched the entire Florida season, and yet still wants to make a case that USC is the best team in the country based on speed, talent, and any other measure, then again, can't help you. If you want to thump your chest over shutting down Arizona State, Washington State, Washington and Notre Dame, and you want to compare that to beating 10 bowl teams and two No. 1s including an Oklahoma offense that scored over 700 points ... yeah. You know.

Just to comment on #3

Maybe a remedial lesson in football 101 is in order. If this idiot can't understand that Utah scoring three touchdowns in the first 11 minutes of the game has nothing to do with Alabama's offensive line then he should reimburse FOX Sports to for every dime of his salary : :P

Just to comment on #3

Maybe a remedial lesson in football 101 is in order. If this idiot can't understand that Utah scoring three touchdowns in the first 11 minutes of the game has nothing to do with Alabama's offensive line then he should reimburse FOX Sports to for every dime of his salary : :P

Trivial ;)

5. USC couldn't handle Daryll Clark and the Penn State offense in the second half of the Rose Bowl, so what makes you think for a split second that it could stop Florida's offense? Don't you dare. Don't ... you ... dare ... suggest that USC's D took its foot off the gas in the second half of that game, because then I'll have to give you a helmet and a shiny ball of tin foil to play with over in the corner. If you try to bring this up, then you simply have no clue about the pride of a USC defense that wanted DESPERATELY to make an all-timer of a statement against the Nittany Lions.

6. USC would've beaten Ohio State no matter what, but it has to keep being brought up ... if you can't tell the difference between the Ohio State team that battled Penn State and lost to Texas and the one that soiled itself against the Trojans, again, can't help you. If anyone out there actually bothered to watch the 17-10 win over Arizona, the 17-3 win over Cal, the 28-7 win over UCLA, the Oregon State loss, and also watched the entire Florida season, and yet still wants to make a case that USC is the best team in the country based on speed, talent, and any other measure, then again, can't help you. If you want to thump your chest over shutting down Arizona State, Washington State, Washington and Notre Dame, and you want to compare that to beating 10 bowl teams and two No. 1s including an Oklahoma offense that scored over 700 points ... yeah. You know.

5 - Seriously? By EVERY person that knows football, both the 'SC offense and defense turned it off in the second half. After all...they were only up by 31. Can't handle? So much for intellectual honesty.

6 - Just shows the complexity of the conference. The same conference that went 5-0 in the bowls of the 6 teams that 'SC played that made it to the bowls, they went 6-0.

Wherever this is from, they are retarded. It's Florida's season. They are the BCS Champion and as stated elsewhere I agree with the polls. That said, I think it'd be a more than interesting game.

Rich

I told you Rich wold be in here in a hurry. :roflol:

Rich, for what its worth, I love the article for no other reason than it shows that people who know absolutely nothing about sports(much less college sports) are sportswriters and commentators. Its kind of like politicians, they make laws about things they know absoulutely nothing about.

Oh na the fact thaat it fires up some of you sports junkies doesnt hurt either.

Please close this before I puke on my new carpet. I feel I've lost IQ points just reading this so called article.

And I can testify that he doesn't have any to waste! :devil:

The author was obviously a man of impecable credentials and superior insight into the inner workings of the college football world. GO GATORS! :cheers:

the only way to have this conversation is to have a playoff ...

to the comment about the USC conference going 5-0 ... the SEC went 6-2 in bowl games ... of course that's not to mention that since the BCS has started the SEC has never lost a National Championship game they have been in ...

All that said ... lets have a playoff ... conference champions, wildcards, and ranked teams .... we've got a few weeks with no games of consequence ... say it with me PLAYOFF!!!!!

In the end Florida still has the BEST team the National Championship trophy says so ... GO GATORS!!!!

I'm just waiting for Rich to dive in here now. That whole USC rant is going to set him off. :P

5 - Seriously? By EVERY person that knows football, both the 'SC offense and defense turned it off in the second half. After all...they were only up by 31. Can't handle? So much for intellectual honesty.

6 - Just shows the complexity of the conference. The same conference that went 5-0 in the bowls of the 6 teams that 'SC played that made it to the bowls, they went 6-0.

Wherever this is from, they are retarded. It's Florida's season. They are the BCS Champion and as stated elsewhere I agree with the polls. That said, I think it'd be a more than interesting game.

Rich

Please close this before I puke on my new carpet. I feel I've lost IQ points just reading this so called article.

You guys are REALLY not much fun anymore, as you are getting WAY too easy to "hook"!!!

Fiutak's argument fails because OPINIONS can never decide who the real national champion is. That's why it's called the "BcS National Championship," rather than just the National Championship. It's a shame that the end result of college football is decided the same way they determine the outcome of figure skating, or American Idol.

Any playoff, even just a +1, would make the championship legitimate. Polls and computers can't really determine the best team in the country, but a decent system could pick the top four teams, then the best one could prove it on the field. The only sour grapes would come from the fifth or sixth best team complaining about being left out. That argument holds a lot less water than Texas arguing that they beat OU by 10, or Utah pointing to the fact that no one beat them on the field, or USC claiming that no one could beat them at the end of the season.

Someone needs to decide that football is a sport, rather than a debating society.

I have no axe to grind one way or the other, I never played College "Football" I watch as much as I can as I enjoy the game.

But for craps sake.

Get a play off system in there and soon or this is all going to make the whole affair look like warmed up dog poo.

It's a shame that the end result of college football is decided the same way they determine the outcome of figure skating, or American Idol.

Oh my god, there is light at the end of the tunnel, never a truer word spoken.

Opinions are like arseholes, everbody has one, some are just not very useful and what comes out is well "shit".

Now for the last time and for the deaf.

Get a playoff system.