Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Sights for S&W 617

usp45ss

I finally got around to buying a new S&W 617 that I've been wanting for awhile. I really like the gun and want to shoot it in a few local Steel Challenge matches. My only complaint is the stock sights. I want to replace at least the front with a fiber optic unit. The rear blade is also really shallow so it probably needs to be replaced as well.

I'm new to the revolver game so I'm not exactly sure what height front to go with. I see that SDM fronts and Millet rears are recommended a lot around here. Should I just replace everything with a SDM front and Millet rear? If so, what height would be a good start? Any other recommendations?

By the way, I got my DS-10 loaders in today. They are awesome.

The SDM supersight is too tall for the 617. I bothered Scott over at SDM last year and that is what he told me although things may have changed since. I have seen some around here run Millet rears on the 617 though.

There will be some new choices available in the classified section in the next week or two if you can wait that long.

I'm rounding up some Website help at the moment.

This may very well be the product of the year and I want one.

On my 617 a .160 rear and a .225 front works out nicely. My .160 rear has a .100 deep x .125 wide notch. It's fiber optic,

but the holes can be plugged. A .215 or .220 might be a good compromise. I don't like to get too low, where there's no

room to go down.

What I hope will be the product of the year is sitting on my desk waiting to be announced. I can't talk about it yet.

Edited by Toolguy

• 1 year later...

Warren,

I thought I had posted how well I liked the .200 X .100 FO front sight you made but I can't find the post.

I was out the other day when it got above freezing and I was doing transitions on a couple of steel A zones starting @ 10 yards and moving back to 25 yards with about a 90% success rate. Was a lot of fun but I need more speed loaders & loading blocks, 240 rounds goes by too quick.

I have a 17-8 w/ 6" barrel and use a Millet .410 plain target rear and one of Warren's (toolguy) fiber optic front sights that is .250 tall and .100 wide. I have filed the rear sight notch a little deeper and wider.

Looking forward to see what's on your desk toolguy!

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Anything new/different/better for the S&W 17...?

Shot a Steel Challenge match today with my 17 and wonder if there is anything "better" I should put on my gun.,,?

What would be the hot ticket today for sights with a good quick target acquisition?

On my 617 a .160 rear and a .225 front works out nicely. My .160 rear has a .100 deep x .125 wide notch. It's fiber optic,

but the holes can be plugged. A .215 or .220 might be a good compromise. I don't like to get too low, where there's no

room to go down.

What I hope will be the product of the year is sitting on my desk waiting to be announced. I can't talk about it yet.

+1 to the setup Warren describes. It has worked out great onmy 617.

Warren, if you are working on something better than what you put on my revolver I definitely want to see it! I am thrilled with the FO setup!

- John

Practical Man-

If you notice, that announcement was dated 2009. That was the year I came out with the Ballistic Dial Scope Base. There are pics of it in my Protocall Design vendor tent. I don't have anything new in the iron sight dept. besides the front and rear fiber optics. For those who don't want bright fibers in the rear there are blue or purple fibers which are fairly dark but still help keep track of the rear sight.

I got the F/O front sight from Toolguy for my 617 and just shot a match last weekend....get one of his sights. You'll love it. Just tell him what you are wanting the gun to do and he will fix you up with a great sight.