Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recommendations for dot - Ruger MKII Pistol

I've got a Stainless Ruger MKII pistol that I'd like to outfit with a dot at some point in the future. Pistol has a bull barrel and I often shoot it with a thread-on Bowers CAC22 suppressor so it's already very heavy for a .22 platform. Therefore, I'd like to keep the weight down as much as possible. I'm leaning toward a Doctor Optic type sight (something fairly small). What sort of dot sight / mounting options would you recommend? Is any gunsmithing required to mount a dot on this pistol?

If you've got a similiar setup, I'd appreciate pics if you've got them. Just trying to get some ideas on the best way to proceed over the next several months.

Also, is anyone aware of any reliable mags for this pistol that hold more than 10rds?

Thanks

Edited by Fullauto_Shooter

Typical Ruger Mk-II bull barrels have drilled and tapped receivers to fit a weaver/picatinny rail.

With such a rail, you also need an adapter plate as interface between the Docter sight and the weaver/picatinny rail.

BTW, I have a MKIII 22/45 with LSP picatinny rail and an Ultradit 1" dot, mounted in Warne rings and that shoots and looks great ;-)

Here's mine with an Optima. The mount fits in the sight dovetail. I don't know of any higher cap mags. Ram Line made some 12 rounders years ago, but they were junk.

new2245open.jpg

How do you like the Optima? I didn't even think about that option, but it's very similiar to the DR OPTIC - nice and small. Does it fit directly into the rear sight dovetail with no gunsmithing? If so, that'd be pretty cool.

Thanks,

Doug

I've got a C-More on mine now. Railway mounted to the Picatinny rail. The new Brownells catalog shows and Alchin mount that mounts to the receiver and takes a Slide Ride. Looks pretty cool and should be low and light.

As far as the micro dot sights, I've also got a FastFire that has a Weaver mount. Should be easy to bolt it to the scope rail.

the scope has to do with what you are going to shoot with it. big steel ? small steel 2" and under or what

I have a few that you can try and see what you may want before you buy

Thanks Jamie - I'll take you up on your offer. Initially, the set-up would be for fun plinking, but I'd like to eventually get more involved in some Steel Challenge type matches (like your Match). Do you think it'd be a benefit to run a C-More type set-up since that's what I'm using on my Open gun? I'm really just trying to get some ideas right now, but I would like to keep weight down as much as possible.

Thanks,

Doug

the scope has to do with what you are going to shoot with it. big steel ? small steel 2" and under or what

I have a few that you can try and see what you may want before you buy

Thanks Jamie - I'll take you up on your offer. Initially, the set-up would be for fun plinking, but I'd like to eventually get more involved in some Steel Challenge type matches (like your Match). Do you think it'd be a benefit to run a C-More type set-up since that's what I'm using on my Open gun? I'm really just trying to get some ideas right now, but I would like to keep weight down as much as possible.

Thanks,

Doug

Im looking at my shelf 6 diffrent kinds of optics, The CMore Works , the Aimpoint Comp Works . tasco will work , most of the time and the older ones would stay zeroed most of the time.

Sightron made a good one but they dont make one any more.

For Steel Challenge size targets a Cmore would be the best pick with a 6min dot. if you want to realy test the accuracy an Aimpoint is what i have on my long rang team gun with a a 4min dot I think they call it a 2 min dot but the dot is 2"at 50 yards one cool thing about the having a C-More on my 22 as that I robbed parts off it to fix my race gun when I had a last minnute problem before Nationals.

I tried an optima on my MKII and on my 686. I think they are fine for IPSC/ICORE shooting, but I couldn't hit more precise targets. It seems that the optima had a little paralax, enough to matter.

I used to shoot golf ball matches with my MKII, I always got 1st or 2nd place with my burris speed dot. After switching to the optima, I lost badly.

I've been happy with the Optima, but I haven't used it seriously for matches or anything. The mounts come from JP and there is probably one for a Burris fastfire. I wonder if paralax is a problem with the Fastfire sight?

My girlfriend lets me shoot her 22/45 for steel and more recently, pinheads. It has an Optima mounted to the factory weaver rail. I like it, and after some really fun range sessions with the plate rack this summer, I'm pretty good with it. At last week's pinheads match I forgot to bring mags, so another guy loaned me his 617 with an 8 MOA CMore. I like the twice as big dot a lot more, I picked it up really fast and it just felt better.

Somebody loaned me a mag when we were messing around after the match, and I had a .35 split followed by several misses. Needed all 10 rounds for the 5 pinheads.

I have a C-More on my MKIII 22/45 and it works great.

post-2054-1231375911_thumb.jpg

Interesting looking set up. What type rail is that? I assume you had to have your top drilled and tapped for this mount?

Was leaning toward a DR OPTIC type sight initially, but now I'm thinking a CMORE might be better since that's the type I use on my Open Gun.

Any more ideas on the best way to mount a CMORE? My pistol doesn't presently have any sort of rail or screw holes in the top of the barrel.

Thanks,

Doug