Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Area 6 state matches

04/17/09- 04/19/09: Area 6

05/01/09- 05/02/09: Alabama Section Championship

05/15/09- 05/17/09: Florida State Championship

05/15/09- 05/17/09: North Carolina State

05/15/09- 05/17/09: Mississippi Classic

05/30/09- 05/31/09: South Carolina Section Championship

Come on GA and Tn there are a couple weekend slots left for a clean sweep, fill in the gaps. Seriously though, wasn't there a big issue (read pissing contest) last year with some of the matches close to Area 6 and people having to decide which one to go to. I LOVE shooting in Florida but not this year I guess. :( I not complaining, to much, but damn why all together? I mean you can shoot comfortably 8 months out of the down here. Just curious.

Edited by WDB

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

05/01/09- 05/02/09: Alabama Section Championship

05/15/09- 05/17/09: North Carolina State

05/15/09- 05/17/09: Mississippi Classic

Come on GA and Tn there are a couple weekend slots left for a clean sweep, fill in the gaps. Seriously though, wasn't there a big issue (read pissing contest) last year with some of the matches close to Area 6 and people having to decide which one to go to. I LOVE shooting in Florida but not this year I guess. :( I not complaining, to much, but damn why all together? I mean you can shoot comfortably 8 months out of the down here. Just curious.

Last year Alabama & Florida were in March. South Carolina was in April. Area 6 is on the same weekend as last year. Mississippi was in May (same weekend they scheduled this year). North Carolina was in September. Tennessee was also in September, and is planning to keep the same weekend in 2009 pending the release of Nationals dates. Georgia was in October in 2008 & have not heard of plans for the 2009 match yet.

Not sure when the other matches listed their dates, but South Carolina had to move from our traditional second weekend in April, because that weekend is Easter in 2009. We set our dates & announced them on April 21st of 2008 -- one week after the 2008 match.

Are the dates "set in stone?" We certainly are. We set that date over 13 months in advance of the match. We have signed contracts with hotels, banquet caterers and food service at the range. Once everyone is this far into the planning, it is nearly impossible to change dates.

Linda Chico (L-2035)

2009 SC State Match Statistician

Edited by LChico

Can't the MD's communicate a little better on planning their matches and coordinating dates? That is one serious cluster suck, I hope it's not written in stone!

Last year the NC state match was in Sept. They had problems with turnout because it was the week after nationals. I don't think the weekend they chose is any better. Stuck right between the SC state match and Area 6.

ETA: I hear GA will be in October again. :cheers:

Edited by sperman

The NC match moved from Sept./Oct. because it is going to be at Ant Hill on the coast and that is Prime hurricane season.

The range is usually a foot under water during that time. Moving it to the weekend before Memorial Day will help with the cost of the rooms down there as well since it is not tourist season.

2009 TN Sectional is tentatively scheduled for Sept 25th – 27th. We are waiting on the nat dates before we write it in stone.

My understanding (which is limited). No one wants to shoot a major in the south in June - August due to the heat. Everyone is afraid of the fall due to nationals.

Not to beat a dead horse, but everyone's life would be easier if the nationals weren't the last major match to be put on the calender.

Could not agree more, but....

Well, to oput it mildly, I have been pugilistic upon that deceased equine quadruped for some time now.

Sadly the conditions at Tulsa precluded us returning there this year, but knowing that, we should have been more proactive in securing a replacement venue. It should have been in point of fact Job #1 for the President.

I have almost reached the point of I'll schedule my trips around what is out there now and if by chance the Nats area open to my schedule, I'll try and attend, but I am less and less likely to bend my schedule to fit at this point.

All said, maybe I'll try and fit in some A6 matches during my vacations this year. Would be a new travel direction.

2009 TN Sectional is tentatively scheduled for Sept 25th – 27th. We are waiting on the nat dates before we write it in stone.

My understanding (which is limited). No one wants to shoot a major in the south in June - August due to the heat. Everyone is afraid of the fall due to nationals.

Not to beat a dead horse, but everyone's life would be easier if the nationals weren't the last major match to be put on the calender.

Can't agree more.

Jim:

We shot the SC Sectional last year and it was a great match. Eight well designed stages. I think the shortest was 22 rounds. Nice club, real good people. Drove down Friday, shot Saturday, went to the Party afterwards and back to PA on Sunday morning. We are going back this year.

Mike

Edited by mikegot38

I'll be at these two for sure:

This one, maybe...

There used to be a requirement for section match dates to be approved by the area director to help prevent this from happening. Charles?

Edited by MWGDVC

I spoke with Charles Bond the A6 Director about this last week (1-2-09 to be exact). At the time of the conversation, the ONLY match that has crossed his desk for approval on dates etc was AL. Charles is aware of the situation, what he has done up to this date I do not know, I recommend you PM him direct or call and he will be happy to talk to you about it.

Sight Tracker

The NC match moved from Sept./Oct. because it is going to be at Ant Hill on the coast and that is Prime hurricane season.

The range is usually a foot under water during that time. Moving it to the weekend before Memorial Day will help with the cost of the rooms down there as well since it is not tourist season.

I have shot at that range many times and have never seen it under a foot of water. Yes it is hurricane season, but so what, its NC the weather can change instantly for no good reason. The reason it change from fall to spring is because thats when the guys at Ant Hill wanted it to be held. If it comes back to Sir Walter it will be in the fall of the year. I have shot 3 state level and 1 area level match at Ant hill and have had rain at all of them except this last year when it was in hurricane season. You can never predict weather in this state especially when it concerns shooting.

Charles Bond is a member here and posts often on items regarding Area 6 discussions, maybe he'll make his thoughts public on this thread as to how he is approaching the MD's of these matches and what possible solutions there are.

If it comes back to Sir Walter it will be in the fall of the year. I have shot 3 state level and 1 area level match at Ant hill and have had rain at all of them except this last year when it was in hurricane season. You can never predict weather in this state especially when it concerns shooting.

So what do we have to do to get it back to Sir Walter next year?

:) Sorry, I simply can not post anything constructive to the replies here......

Pick a match you want to shoot and shoot it...

I really do not want to listen to all the BITCHIN' again this year that went on last year....PLEASE

I'm curious as to how many of you were HONESTLY planning on shooting the MS Classic, NC State and FL State anyway? I have found these matches to draw from 3 different groups of shooters..........

Edited by DrawandDuck

:) Sorry, I simply can not post anything constructive to the replies here......

Pick a match you want to shoot and shoot it...

I really do not want to listen to all the BITCHIN' again this year that went on last year....PLEASE

I'm curious as to how many of you were HONESTLY planning on shooting the MS Classic, NC State and FL State anyway? I have found these matches to draw from 3 different groups of shooters..........

I do plan on shooting SC and Area 6. I would like to shoot NC also, but three majors in a 6 week period is tough for me to pull off.

I hate to see this happening. Our match used to be in October several years ago but we got overruled by Nats and we moved it to May. There is no National or Sectional requirement for scheduling matches that I am aware of but as an MD I would actually be in favor of some sort of regulation. It's not good for the competitors and it's not good for us either. Too much of a good thing is still too much.

Since there IS no formal regulation, all I can do as an MD is post mine as soon as possible so other MD's can plan around it and then hope that they do. The 2009 Mississippi Classic went up on the USPSA calendar in October of 2008 as a courtesy to our competitors and other MD's. Unfortunately, even now most of the matches listed in this thread are not posted to the USPSA calendar.

We have the same issues with avoiding summer heat and hurricanes as many others in Area 6, but we may need to evaluate moving ours once again if this keeps up.

John

I'd like to shoot SC, FL, and Area 6. TN and KY would be nice to throw in there too.

4 weeks

2 weeks

Pretty good break in between these matches...........................