Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Gun Safe for under $1500?

Hey everyone,

I've been MIA for the past 6mo in my 1st year of residency, and I've finally come up for air. After the move to Washington, PA. back in June, all of my shooting and reloading stuff as been in boxes. My bench is finally back together and I'm reassembling my reloading press. It's time to plan for the rest of the year and big purchases. I'm planning on getting a gun safe in the next few months. Here's the question:

What's the best gun safe for the money, under $1500, and where should I buy it?

It needs to hold at least 15 rifles and maybe 20 handguns with a little room left over for important paperwork and the occasional valuable, with as good a fire protection rating as I can get for the price range. I've got a Cabelas and a Gander Mtn. in the surrounding area.

I appreciate your help and look forward to your suggestions!

-Chris

You can't go wrong with any of the normal brands. Liberty, Cannon, et. al. Stay away from the "gun manufacturer" brands as it's usually just one of the previously mentioned's safes with the company's logo on it at a premium. You can find some good prices and good safes at Costco & Sam's Club sometimes. Online anyways.

Rich

Michael Bane seems to be having some customer service issues with Cannon safes --- as detailed on his website HERE, Here, and here....

The links are presented in order.....

I have a slight personal preference for mechanical, not electrical, locks on a main gun safe (One less thing to fail) --- as long as there are quick access containers available as well....

I have a Cannon (about 9 years old), and the dealer delivered it. No problems, although it is a mechanical lock. The electronic lock sounded cool but I figured mechanical was more reliable. By the way, I have moved once, and it survived the move, in the hands of a moving company.

If I were a customer treated the way Mr Bane was, I would try another CS rep, or someone in sales and let them know about the 1st rep.

Lee

I've got a Cannon and it has been fine. Electronic lock.

The Liberty stuff looks nice too.

I got a deal on the Cannon as it has a huge scratch down one side. The side that goes against a wall so I was not worried.

If you have a safe dealer near you, ask them about a blem if you don't care how it looks.

• 2 months later...

I finally bought a safe. It's sitting at my local shop with my name on it until they can deliver, hopefully later this week. It's a Heritage 30x66 and will hold 27. I'm sure this won't be the last gun safe I buy, but it will hold me until I can build a vault in by permanent home down the road.

If I were a customer treated the way Mr Bane was, I would try another CS rep, or someone in sales and let them know about the 1st rep.

The fundamental problem Michael Bane encountered is the careful wording of the Cannon warranty. Although it's lifetime, it does not provide a lifetime guaratee on the electronic lock, nor does the guarantee on the lock cover the opening of the safe and repair if necessary.

Although Cannon gave Michael a new keypad which fixed his problem, there was no indication that Cannon ever agreed that they will, as a matter of course, cover lockouts, or that they would have taken care of him if replacement of this part did not resolve the problem.

I am not aware of any manufacturer that offers a lifetime lockout guaranty on electronic locks, but Cannon certainly plays it carefully with the wording - not including words like "Lock guarantee is limited to replacement of the lock only and does not cover lockout servicing."

I finally bought a safe. It's sitting at my local shop with my name on it until they can deliver, hopefully later this week. It's a Heritage 30x66 and will hold 27. I'm sure this won't be the last gun safe I buy, but it will hold me until I can build a vault in by permanent home down the road.

Chris, how much? Looking at the Heritage as well.

I think the safe with tax came out to around $1550. Delivery was another $220 cash to the guys who move them as a side gig. Of note, the next year models coming out soon are reported to cost $150 to $200 more. I got the 30x60, non shiny exterior, with the electronic lock. They threw in the dehumidifying rod. I don't think I could be much happier with it short of having the money to buy something 3 times the size.

Edited by Erucolindon