Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Same Powder-different Name?

Peter K

Hi,

recently I read that Titegroup is the same powder as 231.

Is this the only case or are there some other powders sold under different names/brands, like "powder xxx is the same as yyy"!

Absolutely not.

The NEAREST Hodgdon powder to 231 is HP38. Titegroup is theoretically a little faster. It works in the same sort of cartridges, but the similarity ends there.

What cartridges do you want to use it in? I also recommend that you get the Hodgdon manual if you want to use Titegroup. Check out their web site for futher info http://www.hodgdon.com

The only powders (that I am aware of) that are so close that they are nearly interchangeable are some of the Hodgdon powders. H-110 is almost identical to W-296.

I believe that HS-6 is approximately equal to W-540 and HS-7 is allegedly close to AA#7.

There are others but I have no experience with them.

Leo

Titegroup is the same as (discontinued) Winchester SuperLite. Also known as WSL. Years past I've loaded over 15 pounds of WSL, finally finished off the last of an 8-lb keg, this year. It's the same as Titegroup. Neither is very temp-sensitive, both shoot clean.

W231 was VERY temp-sensitive and shot dirty as hell. I've also heard that W231 = HP38. Not certain of that, though.

A load listing for WSL will give you similar velocities to TG. Doesn't mean you shouldn't chrono your own loads!

I find that Titegroup shoots a tiny bit softer in a Glock 35 than V-V N320, noticeable softer than N330. I've had other 40cal and 10mm guns where the N330 seemed the softest. Go figure.

dvc - eric - a28026

Caspian28R is right on! WSL is now Titegroup but is just enough different. I dug out all my old load data since I loaded everything with WSL at one time, and the Titegroup chronos right on. Ramshot Shillouette is also the old WAP(Win action pistol). Hogdon is a wonderful company, I just wish they would print a conversion chart so we could figure out what powders are what :D

Hogdon is a wonderful company, I just wish they would print a conversion chart so we could figure out what powders are what

Too right.

I tried WSL years ago and disliked it because of increased felt recoil, and flash. It was way blasty :D

Tightgroup came out, you guys said it was great, so I tried it. More felt recoil, no problem with flash this time. Would not have wasted time on it if I knew it was same as WSL. :angry:

• 2 weeks later...
Titegroup is the same as (discontinued) Winchester SuperLite. Also known as WSL.
I tried WSL years ago and disliked it because of increased felt recoil, and flash. It was way blasty 

Tightgroup came out, you guys said it was great, so I tried it. More felt recoil, no problem with flash this time. Would not have wasted time on it if I knew it was same as WSL.

I called up Mike Daley, Hodgdon Powder Company's resident reloading questions guru. I asked him flat-out, "Is Titegroup the same powder as WSL?" Since this is the same guy who'll tell you, without hesitation, that HP-38, a Hodgdon powder, is the exact same stuff as W231, I knew I could count on him for an honest answer. His reply: "No. Absolutely not. Titegroup was developed exclusively for Hodgdon's sale as a canister powder to the public. There are some companies using a non-canister version of Titegroup in their factory ammunition, but no company except Hodgdon sells Titegroup, under any name, to the retail customer."

Another internet rumor gums the big one.

Thanks Duane! Again, Duane has gone to the manufacturer, identified his source by name, & provided the results of his query. If one were in doubt, one could easily verify Duane's research. The difference between verifiable results and "somebody told me" or "I heard" is the difference between reliable evidence & hearsay. Good work!

Now, another powder interchangeability question: can anyone verify if the new formulation of Unique is also sold by Hodgdon under another name? I do not know the answer & have not been able to get a straight answer from public sources. As for the old Unique, I avoid the dirty old stuff like the plague (except for that old partial pound I got for free) but I know it is one of the most used powders in the US because it has been around forever (sorta like an antique; funny coincidence the words rhyme).

I "was told" that Hodgdon buys TG from the same plant that sold powder to Winchester, which was sold back then as WSL.

Maybe they did start from scratch and develop a new powder, and maybe it is a different mix of nitrates and retardants. But it ends up looking identical under a 10x microscope, identical volume for equal weights, and identical velocity for equal weights. And it shoots the same. And it sounds the same.

That's all I meant. I like both powders. If they're not one and the same, that's ok with me. B)

dvc - eric - a28026

I believe that HS-6 is approximately equal to W-540 and HS-7 is allegedly close to AA#7.

I thought HS-7 was the same as now discontinued W-571?

BTW: I wish someone made an identical (shooting) powder to AA#7 that wasn't as dirty and abrasive as AA7 is.