Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

45 ACP loads for 625

scottyinAZ

minor load with solo1000????

I've shot 4.2 with 200's. Some black soot and not enough pressure to seal the case to chamber, but no problems with unburned powder fouling things. I haven't but looks like you can go lighter still. 4.5 grs chronoed 765fps, 11 std. deviation. Didn't chrono lighter loads.

MOUSE FARTS

My indoor fifty foot Bullseye league load is a 180 grain LSWC with 3.6 grains of Bullseye. I have used it for steel and got several dings but no falling plate for my efforts.

Today I tried using a cast SWC 200 grain bullet with the same 3.6 grains of Bullseye. 3.5 grains is supposed to be a pretty common 200 grain wadcutter bullseye load.

For light loads, I haven't found anything better then Bullseye powder. Never a problem with unburn't powder under the extractor.

Hello John!! i will be there sunday and i will bring my 45. i was trying to get a load done by sunday =) i hope to make up some yet tonight and try them out tommorow, see how they feel. i dont have any 310. i was hoping to stick with some of the powders i have got. if not, no big deal. i am going to try the titegroup and solo 1k loads first as i have it here. if i cant get what i am after i will venture out. i have 155s, 180s, 200s, 230s, 250s. 155s are wadcutters basicaly, the 180s and 250s are RNFP so they dont load real well. i use 230s in 1911 and hope i can just swap out the powder drop and be all set. plan on 1 drop for minor and 1 for major. i am going to shoot the 625 in uspsa, tues steel, icore occasionaly and what ever else i can find.

What a great group the Revo gang is. =) i have enough load info to last me a long time. i will post up results as i get some shot.

John what is your load with your super?? i might try some new stuff with that as well

Thanks again

Scott

Ask Kevin Arquette or Jason Stieber what there 45 minor loads are. They have run 625 in icore for many years. My 38 super load is a 150gr Zero with 3.7gr VV310. Zero had sent Angus a bunch of 38 super bullets (.356) 150gr and I purchased a bunch of them for a pretty good price from him about a year ago.

i was planning on running it accros the chrono for sure. my problem was the powder bullet combo and unburnt powder. i hear good and bad about clays but i see alot of people are shooting it. i think i was just shooting too light a bullet with too light a powder charge with too little crimp all causing poor igniton. i need to get a good minor & major thats clean and accurate.

Scott

I used 4.1 grs. of Clays and a 230 gr. plated RN in my Mountain Gun and was embarassed to go Minor at the chrono. It works fine in my other 4" 625 though. You need to chrono your ammo and not make any assumptions.

That's true.

Oddly enough, Sam's 25-2 needs 4.3 grains of Clays to make major with 230s, despite its 6.5" barrel. My 5" 625s are OK with 4.1, but I don't want to piss around making two different loads, so I just load everything with 4.3 grains. One nice thing is I don't ever have to sweat the chrono--out of my gun those loads will generally make 175+ p.f.!

There's no point trying to cut it too close. The realistic difference in feel between 165 p.f. and 173 p.f. is not something you will ever notice under match conditions.

Gentlemen,

If its any help, for plinking and ICORE, I use a 230 gr. hard cast round nose ahead of 3.2 grains of Trail Boss with a Federal primer. Heavy taper crimp. This load does about 550 f/s in my 5" 625. Power factor is 126. Burns clean, and this powder fills the case nicely. (Tried making "major" with this powder, but can't get enough in the case).

The same bullet ahead of 4.5 grains of Bullseye will make major.

Big plus for the heavy round nose is how easy it drops into the chambers on a re-load.

For 185 and 230 gr. jacketed bullets I use either American Select, WST, Clay or VV N-310 - all very clean burning powders. For use with the 185 and 230 gr. Berr's/Rainier plated bullets I used to use the above powders but have recently switched to Trail Boss.

My theory is that a smooth transition from bullet to case will help guide the rounds into the cylinder for quick reloads???

Plenty of crimp will accomplish that goal at any reasonable OAL.

A Taper Crimp works the best...also testing the bullets with a case gauge is a benefit.

I use cast lead RN for practice and Zero 230-gr. RN for matches. 4.3 grains of Clays. And plenty of crimp.

You use cast RN for WHAT??? This must be an imposter.....

Skip :cheers:

What I really meant to say was that I shoot lead for practice matches (local stuff) and jacketed for real matches (major events). Practicing is unethical.

I totally agree.

Practicing is cheating. Your practice match should be the last match that you shot.