Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

primer question

hardcast

I actually started out using small rifle primers in my 40's on the recommendation of my gunsmith. At the time (I'm dating myself here) the most popular load was a 200 grain jacketed slug over a fast powder, loaded to 180 PF. I'd get primer smear and bits of brass sheared off in the FP channel - misfire city. A longer FP and harder primers (the small rifle jobs) took care of that. I mostly use small pistol primers for Limited and Production now - the lower PF is more forgiving.

Some say the small rifle primers are hotter. My experience with Winchester small rifle and small pistol primers hasn't shown any difference (other brands, I wouldn't know, not having used them or done any deliberate testing as I did with the Winchesters).

ETA:

Oh, and welcome to the forums! :cheers:

Edited by kevin c

The only time I buy other than small rifle primers is when my buddy that sells them is running low, I'll take pistol primers in that case so he can keep his picky customers happy. I see a change in power factor of less than 2PF across all the loads I use, I can change back and forth with no other changes or concerns.

Use of small rifle primers in high pressure pistol handloads is a fairly common practice. Is it necessary with the loads you're building? In overwhelming probability, no. Is it going to cause any problems? Also, in overwhelming probability, no. Fire the stuff up and have fun.

Your good, just dont reverse the process (pistol primers in a rifle) :surprise:

The soft primers can be set off by firing pin inertia in a rifle...

Some that reload pistol and rifle only use rifle primers for everything to prevent

any mistakes....

Edited by DIRTY CHAMBER

• 2 months later...

I see this is an old thread and hope someone sees my reply.

What difference will changing primers make on your loads? Is there a "major" difference using say Winchester then switching to say CCI without changing any other inputs?

On some of the powder/load data sheets, I see that when a powder company or individual has worked up a load they use the same primer say CCI. Could I use the load information but use the Winchester primer for example? Or, when the load data says use a CCI, use the CCI primer?

Thanks in advance,

Acetyl

I see this is an old thread and hope someone sees my reply.

What difference will changing primers make on your loads? Is there a "major" difference using say Winchester then switching to say CCI without changing any other inputs?

On some of the powder/load data sheets, I see that when a powder company or individual has worked up a load they use the same primer say CCI. Could I use the load information but use the Winchester primer for example? Or, when the load data says use a CCI, use the CCI primer?

Thanks in advance,

Acetyl

If you're not pushing the edge of the envelope, pressure wise, it's not worth worrying about. I will say that using SR primers in very mild 9mm or .40 loads has been known to cause gas blowby (primer never seals) and the hot gas can cause breach face errosion (circle shaped indent cutting into the breach face)...that's a bad thing. R,

I use large Pistol primers in my 32/40 & 38/55 Match rifles, both have had the locks tweaked and won't pop rifle primers every time. If some small pistol primers don't show up around here soon will use small rifle for .38 spl for our clubs ICORE match, may have to run the strain screw real tight for reliable ignition.

Rule is switch but work up from a bit lower and pay attention to whats happening.

Boats