Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550 Primer Slide

Do a search here and it becomes apparent that most everyone does have these issues.

This is the only forum I have heard it mentioned. I have no issues with mine either. I can make mine get sticky by pushing the assembly to the side (left) before tightening the bolts.

I've had a ton of problems with mine, but after the last time I read through this thread I lubed the bar lightly with motor oil (which I also use on the main ram), and that helped a ton. I'd been paranoid about using any kind of wet lube on it in the past but it doesn't seem to be collecting too much dust, and I guess even if it does it's easy to clean it off and re-lube.

• 4 weeks later...

TBP is 100% correct. There are two main problems with the primer system on the 550B. The operating rod torques the slide to the left, causing it to drag and stick. there is not enough bearing surface to keep the slide straight. The second problem is that the primer seating punch batters the hole where it seats and enlarges the hole or wears the base of the punch. Sometimes the punch gets pushed to the right. If you examine the outside of the primer cup and find wear marks you will soon have the slide binding back, not releasing properly, so no primer in the brass and powder all over the place. A minor but increasing problem is that aluminum to aluminum surfaces grind against each other and are not good bearing surfaces, That is why the surfaces need to be polished and greased so often.

I solved the problem on my 550b by fabricating a bracket that clamps to the left side of primer housing. It has two bearings which guide and support the slide so that is held in proper allignment. I sent photos of the bearing support to Dillon some months ago but have not heard from then.

I havn't tried to solve the problem of the binding primer cup. I just keep a supply of primer punches on hand and change them when they wear.

rlc45

The only problem I've had with mine involved the original primer slides on my 550 (not B). My loader was an early one & had zinc plated slides, which would bind up whenever the felt like it. Dillon replaced my complete primer system with an updated one with black slides, which I assume are some sort of moly paint. As long as I keep the primer dust cleaned up between sessions, I have had no further problems.

Think about it, the area under the decapping stage is easily the dirtiest spot on the loader. I'm always cleaning up primer dust & pieces of tumbling media.

Think about it, the area under the decapping stage is easily the dirtiest spot on the loader. I'm always cleaning up primer dust & pieces of tumbling media.

Basically, the 550 $%#$'s where it eats. :wacko:

@JThompson, while you are working on a fix for the 550 primer slide mechanism, could you upgrade a primer slide so it would be sturdy enough to swage primer pockets? No, not necessarily at the same time as it seats primers. There's just got to be faster or more efficient ways to swage primer pockets than that Dillon swage tool. Less on the press time = bad. More on the press time = good. Especially if you have a casefeeder.

Edited by persona non grata

• 4 months later...

Well I have to go back on my long ago post and say I have continued to have lots of problems with the primer function. I finally called Dillon and explained the problem in great detail. The rep seemed pretty sure on what I needed and is sending out a part tomorrow.

No matter what I did the primer cup was hitting the right side of the primer housing when I lowered the handle. If it got the slightest bit dirty it bound up so bad it had to be manually pulled into place to pick up a primer. I was told the primer slide was defective in that the hole for the cup assembly was wallowed out(probably from the factory) causing it to cant to the right just enough to cause contact with the housing. He seemed to indicate to me that is somewhat common and he knew as soon as I told him where the rubbing is going on what the fix is. I have a new slide assembly on the way and he seemed confident my problem would go away. I will update this post when I find out something.

Perfection again!! :cheers::cheers: It is not perceptive to the naked eye but there was something tweaked or twisted or bent or whatever with the old primer slide. I put the new one in tonight and it does not touch anything on the downstroke. Worked flawlessly.

If you are having issues call Dillon. They know these machines and can and will help you.

Now, if only I did not just jinx myself.

Well thanks to everyone's input on this post it really did help. I loaded 1400 rounds yesterday and not a hiccup. It was giving me alot of trouble but I followed some of the tips in here before starting and I guess it took care of it.

First I swung the arm around and noticed that it pointed inward alot so I striaightened it some to make the primer arm move further rearward. It is still angled in but I think I did get it a little straighter. I didnt want to get drastic and break it. Second, I took the primer system apart and wiped all the bearing surfaces down with alcohol wipes. Third, and I think most important the scouring pad trick. I took the primer slide and polished it up with one of those green dish scrubber pads. I think that really helped the most. I reassembled everything and then dropped 1 primer 10 times in to the cup with out any issues. 1,400 rounds later still no problems. I think I might load a few hundred tomorrow morning. I hope I did not just jinx myself with this post.