Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Para P14 Modifications

steveyacht

I have a Para 14-45 limited in stainless and want to begin modifying it to meet USPSA Limited 10 rules. Other than obtaining two or three more magazines, what else would you suggest that I do to this gun? The only thing I can think of is a Magwell of some sort. Is it hard for a handy kind of guy to install a magwell without any special tools?

I would like to get a new front fibre optic front sight, I think Novak is where I will send the slide for their attention. Is there any other sight modifications that you can suggest?

Thanks in advance for all your suggestions and help.

Steve

I'd add a mag well, I did an S&A, need a dremel and courage.

FO Front sight is good

Trigger job

Tune the safety to release with a high grip.

Maybe a Swenson Safety

Tungsten Guide rod or Sprinco

A bit of properly placed skateboard tape

Other than that, I'd say buy ammo and practice.

Jim

I have a Para 14-45 that is my pin gun. Several companies make fiber optic sights for the front (I think mine is a Brazo) and are easy to install. Most Mag wells are easy to install also. Any local gunsmith can give you a decent trigger and install items that you can't do easily. Dawson and others make magazine extensions that give you a round or two more if you decide to shoot Limited rather than Limited 10.

You are pretty well there with the gun being stock. Most everything else is personal preference.

FO Front sight is good

Trigger job

Maybe a Swenson Safety

Jim

Jim, Forgive my ignorance, but what is an S&A? Where can I find the other parts you mention? I am going to attempt to do most of my own work because of the very high prices of shipping a handgun.

Thanks.

FO Front sight is good

Trigger job

Maybe a Swenson Safety

Jim

Jim, Forgive my ignorance, but what is an S&A? Where can I find the other parts you mention? I am going to attempt to do most of my own work because of the very high prices of shipping a handgun.

Thanks.

S&A is Smith and Alexander, you do need to trim the frame about 1/8", they give you a gauge. Magwell is available through Brownells.

Swenson is also there, but unless you are comfortable, fitting a safety can be tricky.

Sprinco guiderod available from Jim Shannahan at Advanced Performance Shooting.

Sights, Dawson, or through Brownells.

Jim

First, I can't thank you all enough! I have been searching the net and doing some comparisons between the Sprinco recoil reducer and a Tungsten guide rod. Being as they are about the same price, which will give me the best overall performance?

About the Dawson basepads, are the one's that are needed to use his Magwell the extra capacity ones? I like the ease of installation of the Dawson unit but having to shell out an additional $175 for 5 of the base pads is a bit over my budget right now.

If Para is still using a plastic magazine catch, then think about replacing it with a metal one as well. The plastic will last a while, but when mine failed, it caused feeding problems which numerous people said was a magazine failure ("Huh? 5 different mags at the same time?").

Lee

The S&A magwell for the Para adds a lot of weight to a gun that is already heavy. It may be available in aluminum if you call S&A directly.

I much prefer the Dawson magwell.

I just ordered the Dawson FO front sight, some shock buffs (after much reading here) and took my gun apart totally with the help of: "Ed Brown's 1911 Bench Reference" manual and polished all of the internal metal to metal parts as well as the load ramp and the ejection port. Right now I am reluctant to spend over 200 bucks on the Dawson Magwell and his extended base pads, I figure that money is better spent on a Rig package from CR Speed products or the like. Once I get to the range on Sunday, I will ask around to see who a good 1911 mechanic is within driving distance for a good trigger job, then I may go ahead and get that S&A Magwell also.

About the only thing I am not going to do right now is get one of the recoile reducing devices beyond the shok buffs. After reading all there is about them on this site all it did was confuse me even more!

Thank you all for your help!!

Steve

I really like the Dawson magwell and base pads on my P14-45 (which I specifically set up for L-10 a few years back), but I realize it is a commitment. I had repeated breakage issues with tungsten guide rods in this gun and others, so now I just use a stainless guide rod and can't really tell the difference shooting the thing. I could not get the trigger pull to where I was happy with it using the stock Para parts, but after replacing the trigger components with aftermarket stuff it's a nice crisp 2# pull, which is a big improvement. I also replaced the stock thumb safety with a big Ed Brown single-sided paddle safety (unless you're a lefty, there's no real need for ambi, if you think about it). My Para's factory barrel wasn't fit real well, so I installed an Ed Brown stainless match barrel and it fits and shoots very nicely.

I have several other Limited/Limited-10 pistols which cost a whole lot more, but I like shooting the Para and never feel undergunned with it in the slightest. A couple times I've considered selling it, but when I pull it out of the safe and handle it a little, I always decide to hang onto it.

FYI I checked with Dawson about a month ago about the S&A full para mag guide and they told me they didn't sell them.

These are the only ones they sell according to the email:

"For Para we have 2 types of magwells. As follows:

009-005 & 009-006 is our DP magwell for Para. These are $49.99 each.

518-1159, 518-1160 & 518-1161 are Smith & Alexander Magwells for Para. These are $43.95 each."

Edited by Pittbug

I like the ease of installation of the Dawson unit but having to shell out an additional $175 for 5 of the base pads is a bit over my budget right now.

You probably only need 2 extra capacity base pads. That will get you thru any stage.

I don't know if standard capacity pads will fit with the Dawson magwell. Maybe somebody here knows? (Or, call Dawson.)

Number (mark) your mags, so when they jam, you can know which mag it is that gives the trouble.

And on that note --- before you number your mags, try them in all your mag pouches, esp. if you're using Kydex. Some mags will stick in some pouches. After you're happy with how tightly they're held, number the pouches and the mags --- to ensure they're a matched set.....

I like the ease of installation of the Dawson unit but having to shell out an additional $175 for 5 of the base pads is a bit over my budget right now.

You probably only need 2 extra capacity base pads. That will get you thru any stage.

I don't know if standard capacity pads will fit with the Dawson magwell. Maybe somebody here knows? (Or, call Dawson.)

I called Dawson the other day about this very thing. The answer was no, you must have the Dawson extended base pads (@$35 each) before you can use their magwell. Right now, because of budget restrictions, I am just gonna get the FO front sight, a two or three additional mags for a total of 5 or 6, and a set up from SC Speed or the like. Just not sure what holster to get. Once I hang out at the range and get to know some more folks, I will narrow things down on magwells, etc.

Thanks for the numbering advice on the magazines!!!!

Steve

I have the Dawson ICE magwell on my P14-45. I have a mag with an Arredondo extended mag pad. It took a bit of filing the upper corners but I can now reload with a full mag using the Arredondo mag pad. So, it is easier to fit the Dawson mag pads with the Dawson mag well but it is not an absolute must have. It takes a little fitting.

If a Limited pistol, I'd use it as is.....honestly, it needs nothing that 1/2 hour of practice per night changing mags won't accomplish...

This is pretty much exactly what I plan on doing, instead spending my money on a decent rig and some additional pre-ban mags. The only thing I did to the gun itself was to add a Dawson fibre optic front sight as my eyes ain't what they used be, a shok buff and some grip tape. Once I get the components to the rig, practice, practice, and more pratice.

My 3 Paras all have the S&A Magwell. I can use anyones basepads with it without modifying them and risking them breaking. My P18 9mm has the aluminum magwell so it would make IDPA weight. It works just as well as the steel one although I don't notice any real weight difference in the way the gun feels.

Mine have the STI for Para trigger which I love but is no longer available. Fiber optic front is my choice and I prefer the

.100 wide ones. Grip tape works fine. I have a FLGR, Tungsten, and Sprinco in the 3. I have flipped them around some and really can't tell that much difference between the Tungsten and Sprinco. Both are a tad better than the std FLGR.

I shoot my P14 for L10 most of the time and never feel hindered. Plus I like the bigger hole. I occasionally shoot it in Limited with Grams mags (18) but seem to always change mags when I move anyway so I screw up the reload advantage. Too much Production and L10 and IDPA shooting has me conditioned.

Craig