Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cut and Re-Choke

GIO

Are there any bad side effects from cutting a shotgun barrel down and re-choking it. I have a 26 inch benelli I would like to bring down to 21

Thoughts?

[/quote

If it is done right should be no problem. Make sure you are confident in the ability of the one you chose to do it.

Bill

Was headed down the same road and found you are stuck with special thin wall chokes because of mentioned barrel wall thickness concerns. I ended up buying a 21" M2 barrel off a gun on the rack for replacement cost of the barrel. By the time I bought a used barrel and had it cut and rechoked it would be more than the new one.

Are there any bad side effects from cutting a shotgun barrel down and re-choking it. I have a 26 inch benelli I would like to bring down to 21

Thoughts?

I haven't seen any. Beven Grams did that on my M1S90's 26" barrel. He cut it down to 21" and had it re-choked. Been using it for over 3 years that way w/o any problems.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I have a thin wall Benelli M1 shotgun w/19" ghost ring barrel with fixed choke. Ive wanted screw chokes for awhile but was told my barrel wall was too thin. A shooter at a match week before last told me about thinwall chokes. I called Briley and Carlsons the following Monday which is Monday last. Briley said bunch O bucks and 4-6 weeks if they could do it and acted as though they could care less either way. Called Carlsons, much cheaper, great reputation, friendly. They told me to ship and they would turn around in 2 days and they would call if options needed to be discussed. I shipped from TX to KS on Tuesday, I got a fedex notice my barrel arrived Thursday at 4:15PM, had a call on my machine about noon the next day saying my barrel was complete, ready to ship, and they wanted a credit card to charge to. Called them back and was so happy I even bought some extra goodies. They shipped last Friday, I testfired the barrel awhile ago after UPS dropped it off earlier this afternoon. Workmanship is topshelf, even with extra goodies price is still way below Brileys basic install quote. Ive only shoot a few shells to verify POI and pattern but Im tickled so far. So 9 days from my initial phone call, Im in business w/Carlsons and it looks/shoots great, life is good, peace-out.