Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone shoot a compact in IDPA?

hartzpad

I started out competing at a time when my carry guns were of the Glock 19/SIG P228 persuasion. But eventually I found competition affecting my choice of carry gun, as well. It's always been my habit to shoot matches and practice with the same gun I carry. In short order I was carrying, and competing with, a full-sized 1911. Then, for about fours years I competed with, and carried concealed on a daily basis, a Glock 34. Then about a year using a Glock 17 for the same stuff. Though recently I've socked the Glocks away and switched back to the superior American technology :) and these days it's again a full-sized 1911 for me.

With my local IDPA match I shoot my Glock 23, IWB holster, concealed by a t-shirt....If there were a class that better fit the gear I was using I would definitely enter it, but as things are the rules don’t stop me from shooting the gun I want. That said, I’m not motivated to take the gear I have to any bigger competitions.

Dave Sevigny won his first IDPA state championship shooting his carry Glock 23 out of his everyday IWB holster.

I use a Glock 19 in SSP (and Production Division). When I started shooting local matches, I quickly learned that I would never be competitive, even if I spent money on race equipment. Instead, I have chosen to stay focused on using what is on my permit. My results are always in the lower third of the standings. I do better on the stand and shoot stages in contrast to anything that requires movement. It is what it is. I am confident in what I can do with a Glock 19. I can thank my participation in local matches for this knowledge.

I won SSR at the S&W 2006 Winter Championships with a 3" (fixed black-on-black sight) Model 13 and Comp II speedloaders - the very same gear I carry.

I think a 3" gun may get a run at that match this season as well. I may game it up and put adjustable sights on it just to feel a little naughty.

Most of the time, it's the Indian - not the arrow.

Craig

Edited by Bones

I carry a 5 shot model 85..... A bunch of us shoot our carry guns (all 5 shot) at least twice a year in local IDPA matches. We always squad together and really trash talk. Most fun every time out. Point is........ we do shoot our carry guns in a adrenaline intensive environment and are better for it, thats for sure

BTW........we usually finish pretty high and still amaze a lot of ESP AND SSP shooters. now if we could just get "knuckles" to shoot a 5 shot with us some day that would be fun.

Let me add that because of the ten round limit in SSP I use ten-round mags exclusively now with the Glock 19. I sold my fifteen rounders because I practice and compete with the neutered mags. I think ten, I shoot ten, I do reloads on ten, etc. It is somewhat difficult to buy ten rounders in a state where they are not legally mandated. When i ask for them, I get the stinkeye. Whatever. Notice mail order suppliers sell the ten rounders at the same price as the same normal capacity mags. What's the deal? Note too that the way Glock modified the G19 magazine to ten rounds resulted in a single-stack design, which I consider to be more reliable. Getting them open for cleaning though is an adventure. It took me about two years to figure it out. On the new ones too the spring is super stiff. It takes a few hundred rounds of using them to get them in shape for carry.

...Notice mail order suppliers sell the ten rounders at the same price as the same normal capacity mags. What's the deal?
I would imagine the cost to manufacture is the same, if not more, for the artificially limited mags.
...It takes a few hundred rounds of using them to get them in shape for carry.
If you can carry 15+1, why would you opt to only carry 10+1? I can see practicing for the game with 10 rounders, but I always carry a full mag (of the highest capacity possible).

• 3 weeks later...

MY first time out for IDPA, I shot a MP 40c. That is one of my carry guns. Picked it over the P239 because of the 10 round mag vs 7 rd 239. I was not very accurate on the 25 yard targets. Even had a few competitors comment on my tiny pistol (others wearing full size 1911 and long slide glocks). Hated having the smallest gun on the squad. I now shoot a P229.

• 5 weeks later...
Does anyone really want to shoot their concealed carry weapon that is a compact but doesn't because Glock 34 size weapons are in the same class? An alternative would be to have a division within each class for shorter than 4" barrels and one for 4" and larger barrels. If I forget about competition completely, then size doesn't matter of course and you shoot what you want to shoot. I do shoot the same pistol type and trigger in IDPA that I conceal everyday for carry, so it is very good practice for CC, even if size is different between them.

I don't expect any change in the current IDPA rules and divisions (I think it works great as is), just wondering if anyone wanted to shoot their concealed carry weapons in IDPA but doesn't because larger weapons are in the same class as the small ones. Of course, the upside is that 5 divisions keeps it very simple and keeps the gamers out.

I shoot an all stock G23 and reguarly beat members with G34's and G35's. It's all about what you get out if IDPA, not what kind of gun you put in it.

...Notice mail order suppliers sell the ten rounders at the same price as the same normal capacity mags. What's the deal?
I would imagine the cost to manufacture is the same, if not more, for the artificially limited mags.

10 rounders were dirt cheap in 2004 when the ban expired. Some places were giving a free 10 round magazine for every "real" magazine purchased. Supply and demand, as there was a huge supply and the demand extremely dropped off.

Because of the excess supply, the manufacture of 10 round mags slowed way down. Now that the supply demand factor has leveled out, the prices leveled out. Simple economics.

Edited by Bucky

Note too that the way Glock modified the G19 magazine to ten rounds resulted in a single-stack design, which I consider to be more reliable. Getting them open for cleaning though is an adventure. It took me about two years to figure it out. On the new ones too the spring is super stiff. It takes a few hundred rounds of using them to get them in shape for carry.

As to single stacks being more reliable, it really depends on the gun. Many experts claim the staggered magazine is more reliable. That being said, the G19 was designed along with the double column magazine. The 10 round magazine was retro fit to meet a certain restriction. In this case, it is my opinion that the original designed magazine is more reliable. I personally have had feed issues with my G22+ 10 round magazines, and it runs flawless with standard 15 round magazines. Also consider, GLOCKs most troubled model, the G36 is the only gun they designed to be a single stack.

I've had problems with Glock 10-round 9mm magazines not locking the action open when empty. :( As far as I'm concerned, the only thing 10-round Glocks mags are good for is speedload practice during dry fire.

Hi All, First post and happy to be on board here. I have been reading and following this site and have learned a lot from the members here. Anyway, I'm brand new to IDPA shooting and did my first test run a few weeks ago and used my Glock 19 and loved it. The shoot was really exciting and fun and I have to say my gun was perfect as far as controlling my shots, and easy to draw from the holster. I'm looking forward to this new hobby and working to better my times.

I am not a regular shooter of IDPA matches, however I shot,l one last Sunday, and I shot it with my G26. The thing that hurt me was the inside waistband holster, a real life rig, but not a speed rig. Given a do over, and strictly from a competitive point of view, I'd use a Bladetech. I lost most of my time on the draw.

Would I shoot my G26 again? Yes, in fact I plan on shooting it at our USPSA practice match.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Shot my first IDPA match last weekend. Shot my daily carry gun, a Kimber CDP compact, 7+1. Out of 41 shooters, took 4th. So what is the problem? Don't really care what everyone else is shooting, this is the gun I carry, this is the gun I shoot every single week in practice, and from the stats from last week, it shows.

Draw consistently, shoot accurately, reload quickly, good scores. :closedeyes:

• 3 weeks later...

I shot a Glock 29 for months in IDPA.

We would have our BUG gun match right after the main match.

Everyone else would switch guns and gear. I wouldn't have to.

After being warmed up from shooting it all day I really cleaned up in those BUG matches...

Yeah hartzpad, don't worry yourself about what others do in the sport.

Be rest assured, anyone who wins divisions at big matches is an absolute gamer and there is nothing wrong with that.

I know this from experience. I have seen "tactibillys" who are famous for writing tactical articles out of gun magazines, quietly

and discreetly scratch out fault lines during brass pick-up to run a faster stage...big name guys at nationals. So don't kid

Yourself.

My experience is rather similar to Duanes. I started idpa (idpa's first year) shooting master with a glock 19. Over the years the sport has helped me

to realize that I will trade away some comfort to carry a larger and more capable (in my eyes) gun. These days my gun is too tricked out to even

be allowed in my favorite ESP division.

The smallest gun I use anymore is a glock 17 and only when I go running, or mountain biking, using a chest pack.

And really, idpa is a sport run on a clock. When you see the president of idpa gaming up a stage, shooting a 38 super gov't 1911 at nationals,

you know it is time to simply have fun and let it all hang out.

Idpa should not be reduced to some kind of egotestical tough guy, back patting association. Those guys usually don't shoot well anyways!

You can always pick them out of any crowd too, hehe. I always try to stand behind them in public places, they hate it. :roflol:

Have fun

As I recall, Glock magazine followers in different calibers have generated reliability issues in the pistols. These problems have been addressed with improvements to the followers. I have never had any problems with 10 or 15 round magazines in the Glock 19, but my magazines are of recent vintage. I have shot thousands of rounds through my 9mm Glocks. They are great guns. As for the Glock 36, someone who has used one recently may chime in. I have not handled one in 10 years so cannot comment on what upgrades have been made to this model.

I will add that I admire anyone who shoots a match with a Glock 26 usings its proper ten round mags. The smallest I have been able to use is the 19. Hats off to Glock 26 shooters.

Edited by Trevor

I participate (not compete) in IDPA shooting events so I'll be better prepared in the event that I ever have to defend myself.

There it is.

The local IDPA match here is run by USPSA guys... IOW, its not a "pure" (or sanctioned) IDPA event, and the rules interpretation/application can be a little uneven.

No drama there. It is fun, and good "practice" with my EDC gear. Very few of the participants I saw at my first meet last month were using what _I_ would consider concealed carry guns/gear; IOW, equipment you actually CAN conceal and wear EVERY DAY, ALL DAY. I've carried a handgun professionally, both openly and concealed, for over 30 years... so I'm more than passingly acquainted with the practice.

From what I saw during that brief experience, IDPA has gone down the same path IPSC has. The competitive spirit of the typical US shooter has created an equipment race and gaming mentality; I heard all sorts of opinions on how to beat this rule, get around that requirement, etc.

No matter. As far as I'm concerned, true purists are just as throwed off as hard-core gamers. This is an endeavor that will give you back what you put into it. We have another match this Saturday; I'll shoot my P7 heeler. Last time I used my USPc .45, because its an old and trusted companion. But I've begun to carry the heeler more; I need to get tuned up on that euro-trash mag release... :roflol: