Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Took A Youngster Shooting Today

twix

Co-workers son, 15, into military firearms. His first real shooting session. He got to shoot a Ruger 22/45 and then my Glock 35. He shot a lot of rounds through the .22 at fairly close range, and then about 1 and 1/2 mags through the 35. Even though they were 135 PF loads, he didn't like the recoil.

Next we moved to a 10/22 rifle from bench, standing, sitting, prone, and kneeling. He liked that.

Then out came the AR15, the moment he'd been waiting for. He got to shoot it at 25,50,100 and 200 yards. He ended by emptying a magazine as fast as he could at the 25 yard berm. He saved his 25 yard target.

He's going to military prep school tomorrow, I'll send him the pictures I took of him shooting. He wants to join the rifle team.

I think I got this one hooked.

TomB

Thanks RnG. I was thinking of it as a Presidential directive ( as in Charlton Heston).

I even enjoyed the day, the young man was a little more attentive than my own children. Go figure.

Nice timing, I took my nephews to my practice today (10 and 6) and they gave it a go with a .22 conversion and the were blasting away in no time. The 10 year old wanted to try my open blaster (.38 super) because he thought the dot would be easier than having to line up the sights. One shot changed his mind :) He actually hit the target, but the BOOM of a hybrid gun was too much for him.

I doubt they will be trading in their skateboards any time soon, but they sure did have big smiles after they got done :)

Were my best friend and I the only kids with their own private shooting ranges (read: wood pile for a backstop) complete with fort (read: old, wooden tractor cab) for a shooting platform? Most of our allowances went toward ammunition. Upgrading from BB's to pellets was a major financial hit for me. But thanks to Dad's steel projects, there was never a shortage of steel to ring from long range with the Sheridan...until it broke... :(

Shooting wasn't an occasional diversion for us. It was THE form of entertainment. I didn't have any cool toys like the rest of the kids, but goddammit, Dad made sure I had a bitchin' BB gun. :lol: I had also had a single action CO2 revolver that I could empty faster than most could shoot an auto.

Them's was the days. Too bad kids don't seem to have it as good now.

Getting young people into shooting is the best thing.

About three years ago I (and about 15 helpers) ran a large group of scouts through a firearms training course and we let them have a yahoo at the end, with everything we could get our hands on. I took my old Repro Remington Rolling Block 45-70 along with some Blackpowder loads.

One young boy (9) and built skinny like only kids can be (or maybe super models) just couldn't get enough of that. We figured one shot each with the smokepole and that would be enough, he just kept going to the back of the line. I had to hold all 12lbs up by the forestock for him, but he just kept on coming. I eventually let him shoot all the loose rounds off (more than 12). I finally gave in and had to get someone else hold the gun up. He asked if he could take some empties home and I quickly cleaned about ten up for him before his mother saw them. Boy was that beast dirty. Over 60rounds fired through that thing in an hour. No one was hitting a thing, but the smiles. Wow was it worth it. Out of that group, I know of at least three boys that still shoot at the rifle club every week and two mothers are also shooting now. It was a day I will always remember, if only for that little 9 year old (he still has the cases and is now a fine shot to boot).

Shooting wasn't an occasional diversion for us.  It was THE form of entertainment. 

Eric,

We moved to a farm about four years ago and we now have our own pistol range, fields for trap shooting and we set up targets in the back yard for BB's and pellets. I have walked outside and seen the boys invloved in their own version of a Bianchi match with the CO2 pellet pistol. There is some serious sibling rivalry going on there. There are days we just walk outside, set some cans on the fence and see who can clear "the rack" fastest with the BB gun.

It is great to let your kids know that you feel they are responsible enough and you have enough trust in them to let them handle guns and shoot. I think if more adults understood this and were less frightened of guns we would all be better off.

I took my son to a match this weekend. :D:D

He's only 5, but he's been watching me dry fire in the basement and asking questions. So off we go to Saint Charles.

A BIG thank you to Bill Schwab, ToddS, JLJ, Ron F and one other who helped keep an eye on TJ when it was my time to shoot.

TJ had a great time, although it was a little too hot and long for a 5 year old, but he was helping re-set US poppers, and pasted a few targets too. :D:rolleyes:

Since we got home he's been asking about going again, and has been doing controlled pairs from his toy guns, complete with transitions, all over the living room.

THIS IS TOO COOL.

Now, where can I find eye protection that fits his size kid....

Tom

It is great to let your kids know that you feel they are responsible enough and you have enough trust in them to let them handle guns and shoot.

EXACTLY! I don't care if it's shooting, or driving, motorcycles, or powertools, (pick something), but it's the granting of graduated responsibility that makes great kids and turns them into great adults. Shooting in the backyard everyday turns responsibility into a normal, everyday behavior. It's a crying shame more kids don't get to experience the joy that comes with that kind of freedom.

Way to go guys. :)

I just finished day two of a three day pistol class with Louis Awerbuck. We have a 14 year old and a 16 year old in the class with their dads, I was with them in a class last year two (although the older boy was with his mother and older sister that time). They're both doing really well and I think most of it is because their fathers have spent so much time with them.

EricW

My fondest memories are of my grandad's farm, a pocket full of .22 ammo, in the woods down by the creek, just prowling around. Never did anything stupid, just created great memories.

I wore out 3 BB guns, a Benjamin pellet gun, a pellet pistol of unknown origin, but still have that mod 62 Winchester, as well as my first 410 shotgun.

Guess I was about 8 or 10 yrs old.

I'm soooooo envious of all you living in a more fire-arm-friendly country than I am :angry:

Using .22lr rifles in your backyard and such, that is just impossible overhere.

My two sons are a bit too young now (3 and 1), but the older one already shows some interest in what daddy's got locked in the gunsafe, and one day (years from now) I will take them to the range as well, definitely !

• 3 weeks later...