Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Springfield Operator Not Legal :(

gobabygo

I recently bought my first handgun... the Springfield TRP Operator. I bought it as an all around do everything gun (home defense and target) and I have a M6 light/laser that goes on the rail while in my safe next to my bed.

In reading about the different shooting sports, IDPA piqued my interest the most... so I bought a belt and holster so I could try my hand at IDPA. However, after an in depth review of the rules I've just found out that my pistol is "illegal" because it has a full length dust cover/light rail, bull barrel and it weighs 42 oz. So, basically I can't compete in IDPA with this gun even though this is exactly how it came from Springfield.

I'm very disappointed and it's ironic that I bought this as a defensive pistol and yet it's not allowed in International Defensive Pistol shooting. So I have no choice and will go and shoot IPSC, and will have to buy a different holster for that.

Sorry for the rant, but I was wondering if by any chance there will be any possible rule changes that might allow me to use this pistol. Thanks.

So I have no choice and will go and shoot IPSC, and will have to buy a different holster for that.

Congratulation on your new pistol! I'm sure it's a nice gun.

First of all, why do you think you need to buy a different holster for IPSC? Anything you use in IDPA is perfectly acceptable in USPSA/IPSC or IPSC. I use the same gun and gear for both games.

Another thing to consider is that club level matches won't always force you to obey all of the rules all of the time. In fact, you could ask your local match director if you could shoot your gun. At the very least, they will probably let you shoot, but it will be for "no score" or awards if any are given. So you'd get to shoot and you'd be able to compare your performance to others with similar if not identical guns ("no score" doesn't mean they won't score your shooting!).

Good luck!

Yeah, I'm going to go to my first USPSA match in 2 weeks. I don't want to bother going to an IDPA match with a gun I can't compete normally with, since if I liked it, then I'd have to buy another gun! USPSA is fine I'm sure. IDPA, being less equipment oriented, just appealed to me to initally. But I guess it's for the better as there are far fewer IDPA events around here compared to USPSA events. I can shoot a USPSA event every weekend around here!

As for the holster, I know that I can shoot USPSA with it, but I've already ordered a Blade-tech anyway :) . I've shot a few Steel Challenge practice matches over the last month and this last weekend the guy timing me said that I was shooting my first shot in about 1.75 sec out of my High Noon holster. He said that unless I shot IDPA a lot that I should get a new holster and that could probably shave .5 sec off my draw. Of course he didn't say anything about me shooting a .45 at Steel Challenge. :rolleyes:

Race holsters are overated. The draw time and guns aren't as important as leaning to shoot until you get to the top levels in competition shooting, and by that time you will have spent enough time practicing that you will be able to draw well with whatever your gun sits in.

Ie. over a course of fire for a newbie your time will be generally between 20-30 seconds and even if your draw is 2-3 seconds, that extra second on the draw isn't going to be what holds you back.

gobabygo,

This miconception just hurts me to hear...

IDPA, being less equipment oriented, just appealed to me to initally.

That is a falsehood that just isn't really true. (not your fault...it is preached waaay to much by some)

Every USPSA match has 5 divisions...all scored seperately. So, it is like shooting 5 seperate matches...just using the same stages and setup.

Your gun will fit perfectly well into the Limited 10 division.

(sorry about getting on the soapbox. :) )

and will have to buy a different holster for that.

I compete just fine in B Class USPSA Limited with a Glock, a Blade Tech and IDPA legal Galco magazine carriers.

As stated before, there may be a point in Limited/L10 where you "need" a race rig to be competitive, but it's probably deep into A or Master.

Don't let the gear fool you, it's 99.99999% the operator; a GM would shoot well using a PPK from an ankle rig.

As for your Operator, my cynical and snarky reply to "when" is: when Bill Wilson offers a model with a light rail.

And you have fallen in with an eyes wide open crowd. Where else will someone tell you (truely) that .5 seconds on your draw matters not a whit when you've finished a 20 second field course.

As for a .45 not "working" in a Steel Challenge match, don't tell that to all those shooting .45's at the real deal in Piru. Develop a soft, quiet, accurate load and practice.

Actually Wilson Combat does sell a pistol with a light rail and it is not IDPA legal because it takes the gun over the weight limit. Wilson Combat also makes a full size bull barrel gun that is not IDPA legal.

wilson also makes a pistol with a bull barrel, actually a few, and they aren't IDPA legal either. more of a Tactical gun for SWAT or LEO's that like heavy 1911's ... hey a carbine is tactical but its NOT idpa legal.

i agree the opperator should eb legal, but who knows it may be some day.

Play any sport you can. as for shaving .5 from your draw.. try taking a class from a good/ experienced instructor. it will take more than that off with practice.

good luck in your indeavors.

Steve