Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How much cheaper is 9mm to reload over .40

jsykes

Thanks guys. I'm looking at getting a STI Eagle 5.0 for mainly IDPA shooting and am just trying to weigh all the options and decide whether its worth getting it 9mm or .40, where the .40 could double duty as a backup limited gun to my SV. I will generally shoot IDPA much more often than USPSA simply because I have more available to me, so the Eagle will likely get more use.

I'm trying to weigh ammo costs, ease of shooting 9 vs. .40 and reliability for the different calibers.

Thanks for this info.

The cost really isn't much to worry about. I can load 9mm for $132 per K and 40 for $152. That's my match ammo with CMJ bullets and VhitaVuori powder. I'd say get the 40 because it is more versatile.

Matt,

How do you factor brass cost ? Do you use an arbitrary number of reloads per piece? Or do you just not count it ? So far I have purchased 5000 once fired 3000 new starline. I am trying to figure an estimated cost per round and have yet to find a good way to do it. What are you paying for 1000 CMJ to load at 132 per K. from that I may be able to figure my cost.

Gene

I don't factor brass cost in, only because it's a renewable resource. Every time you reload it, your cost 1/2's and if you buy once fired or find a local PD that happily leaves their once fired brass Federal and Remington NICKEL brass laying around, your investment is that much less.

Rich

The cost really isn't much to worry about. I can load 9mm for $132 per K and 40 for $152. That's my match ammo with CMJ bullets and VhitaVuori powder. I'd say get the 40 because it is more versatile.

Matt,

How do you factor brass cost ? Do you use an arbitrary number of reloads per piece? Or do you just not count it ? So far I have purchased 5000 once fired 3000 new starline. I am trying to figure an estimated cost per round and have yet to find a good way to do it. What are you paying for 1000 CMJ to load at 132 per K. from that I may be able to figure my cost.

Gene

That is using the brass 1 time. Yes you can reload it again, but I only calculate the cost based on 1 time use.

Thanks guys. I'm looking at getting a STI Eagle 5.0 for mainly IDPA shooting and am just trying to weigh all the options and decide whether its worth getting it 9mm or .40, where the .40 could double duty as a backup limited gun to my SV. I will generally shoot IDPA much more often than USPSA simply because I have more available to me, so the Eagle will likely get more use.

I'm trying to weigh ammo costs, ease of shooting 9 vs. .40 and reliability for the different calibers.

Thanks for this info.

If you already have a 40 then I would advise you to stay with 40. Saves changes overs on the reloader. Because I dont care what others say. Change overs are a PIA.

On the other hand. There is something soothing about having guns in different calibers. I have to say this because I just broke my own rule and bought a CZ85 in 9mm.

yankee Dog

My 40's run well on cast lead and molycoated lead. I have never been happy with cast in 9mm. So for me 40 bullets are cheaper. For an all around game gun I wouldnt consider a 9mm as the .40 is so much more versatile.

Matt,

Gene

I obviously do not get the same pricing as some, I have over $152 in bullets and powder before I add new brass or primers. Once I get the first 4000 or so loaded I will update what my cost has been. FWIW

I'm not sure there's really a definitive answer to your question. As you can see from the responses you're getting, there are just so many variables. One person compares an expensive option in 9mm to an inexpensive option in .40. Another person adds in the possibility of getting free brass in one or the other caliber into the mix. Etc. Etc. Let's just say that, all else being equal, 9mm is going to be less expensive to load than .40. It's just that all else is not always equal.

=IF(C22>C8,D8/C22,D8/C8) This is the Excel formula I use to figure brass cost C22=number of rounds produced, C8 is the number of pieces of brass purchased,D8 = cost of brass purchased looks like =IF(1000>1000,60/1000,60/1000) = $0.06 per round, and as you increase the C22 the price automatically goes down, 2750 produced rounds brings your brass cost down to $0.022 a round. I have worked up a pretty usable Excel Handloading Cost Calculator for myself, it goes as far as powder cost based on grains loaded, I have my 9MMs down to $99.28 / 1000. $0.0096 of powder, $0.023 primer and a $0.067 bullet to cap it off.

I know this started as which is cheaper but my question sort of expounds upon that to which is "easier" . I can setup the new 550 to load either 9 or .40 which would be the better to start with? Thanks in advance.

Gene

I think the right question is which do you plan on shooting more. As far as loading "difficulty" goes, they are the same. You do all the same steps for both calibers. As long as you don't get some military brass or something strange, I do not think there will be a difference in labor for either round.

One thing to note, if you go with 40, be mindful of brass shout out of glock 40 barrels if you plan to load for a non glock gun. My brass shot from my g22 sometimes get's bulges after being fired. These casings wil not fit my chamber check, will not feed in my dawson gun, but chamber just fine in all my glocks.

I think there are tons of post about this if you get curious.