Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fattest grips for single stack 1911

Kyle O

I've got a pair of mil-tac G-10s from Nighthawk Custom, but I want the fattest grips possible for my other 1911.

Thanks folks.

kyle

I got the Pachmayr rubber wrap around grips (no finger grooves.) Not only are they fairly fat, I find the rubber is much gripper than any stippling of wood or plastic.

Yep. It's a pain in the butt, but I bought 3/8th's thick Micarta sheet for $9. Enough material to make 3 sets. I used a hacksaw (as if you had to ask) and files mostly. Checkered with a 20LPI file. It's nasty stuff, wear a respirator and use a shop vac. Can't beat $3 for a set of thick grips though.

Yep. It's a pain in the butt, but I bought 3/8th's thick Micarta sheet for $9. Enough material to make 3 sets. I used a hacksaw (as if you had to ask) and files mostly. Checkered with a 20LPI file. It's nasty stuff, wear a respirator and use a shop vac. Can't beat $3 for a set of thick grips though.

Thanks, I'm a do it your selfer anyway, so that route is likely. But....

I figured there was something out there just waiting for a credit card number.

Oh, hell, who am I kidding, I'll probably buy some and make some, and trade them out with each other the rest of my life..

I found it's not just the overall width, but the shape that matters most for me. Standard grips are pretty round when viewed from the top or bottom. I made mine about the same width, but they are flatter across the width. Add some finger depressions and checkering and now they feel great.

Homemadepistols008.jpg

Homemadepistols012.jpg

Homemadepistols010.jpg

I found it's not just the overall width, but the shape that matters most for me. Standard grips are pretty round when viewed from the top or bottom. I made mine about the same width, but they are flatter across the width. Add some finger depressions and checkering and now they feel great.

Want2race, you have some ingenuity, ie. your avatar, you just jump in !! Those are some awsome grips, I know what you mean about the shape. Now are they legal in SS, I dont see why not, and if they are then what about an epoxy build up ??

Would that still be legal ?? I dont see any restrictions on grips in the rulebook ??? :unsure:

Want2race, you have some ingenuity, ie. your avatar, you just jump in !! Those are some awsome grips, I know what you mean about the shape. Now are they legal in SS, I dont see why not, and if they are then what about an epoxy build up ??

Would that still be legal ?? I dont see any restrictions on grips in the rulebook ??? :unsure:

Thanks.

As for legality, according the Grand Pubah of Single Stack, if it makes weight and fits the box it's legal. Of course, there are those other rules about barrels and slide lightening but for other things like grips, cocking serrations, mag wells etc the rule is always the box and the scale. As it was told to me anyway.