Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hey!

So, the Big Guy has a possible job thang going on with a company in Iuka, MS. Anybody live in the Tri-State area that can fill us in on the area? Looks like it's between Huntsville, AL and Memphis, TN and nothing :)

Lynn Jones... your name came up as the club contact for what looks to be the closest USPSA club in the area.

Eugene: Man it's hot. It's like Africa hot. Tarzan couldn't take this kind of hot.

-Biloxi Blues, Neil Simon

I have never been to Iuka but I lived in Memphis for a few years and it is hot. Now I live in AZ which I guess proves that some people never learn.

-ld

hi shooter girl,

iuka, ms, is a good little town. it's about 1 1/2 hours from memphis, tn. huntsville, al, is a little further.

there is a club in glen, ms which is about 15-20 minutes away. they hold matches twice a month.

http://www.crssa.com/html/practicalpistolmatch.htm

you would be about 2 hours away from our range in memphs, tn half our shooters come from mississippi to shoot with us.

http://www.memphis-ssa.com

there is also plenty of hunting and fishing all around this area.

hope this helps.

lynn

p.s. like jhgtyre said, it's hot! get a car that has AC :o

Check into the "laws" for new residents that may pop up. I was considering Louisiana but one of the things that killed it (aside from the company that wanted me wouldn't pay moving) was that it was going to cost around $1500 to register my truck. It was something like 10% the value of the vehicle. That was a lame discovery. :blink:

Sorry, I'm getting here late although I honestly don't know that much about Iuka. It's extreme Northeast Mississippi, and about 240 miles from us here in Jackson. I think we'd only see you once a year for the MS Section match (as Patches mentioned generally the second week of October) if you made the move. Lynn is probably a lot more help that I will be, but let's see...

It is hot here, did someone already mention that? Some folks see 92-95 degrees and think that's nothing. Add our humidity (90+%) and it can be pretty bad though. Ok, really bad. Winters are mild generally for most parts of the state. Iuka will see colder weather than we get here though. Probably a few light snows during the winter and some temperatures below freezing. There is some really nice country up that way. The Tenn-Tom. waterway and lots of peaceful, beautiful scenery. Plenty of clean air and blue skies...

The people I know from up that way are great too. Real friendly and good people. It's small town Mississippi. Shopping will be limited, you'll have to travel some for most anything beyond small necessity type items and groceries. Memphis (as Lynn mentioned) will be the closest real shopping market. You will be able to get a LOT of house for the money; you'll probably be shocked at what you can get here compared to California.

Car tags vary by County but can be high if you aren't used to being taxed on your vehicle's value. Not a real big problem when you look at the rest of the cost of living issues where Mississippi is very economical.

Mississippi is very pro-gun state. It has a strong hunting history/culture that would make this pretty difficult to change. Carry permits are shall issue with only a background check, fingerprinting, and $$ needed.

Here are some stats on Tishomingo County, everything from population to crime: Click Here for Statistics

I found this little article and post it because I think it gives a pretty good summary of Iuka and smalltown Mississippi:

"Small-town Iuka"

By RANDAL MATHENY

TMNS Columnist

June 7, 2001

Small towns are the glory of America. Big-city playwrights and writers look down their noses at the small town, but here the heart and soul of America beats strongly. Real community occurs, whereas the conglomeration of individuals in the great metropolises makes the sense of loneliness and loss even more acute.

One such small town is Iuka, Mississippi, named, says a city park plaque, for an Indian chief. I married a girl from this place. My visits here, as over the last two weeks, reveal its attractiveness in ever so many forms.

Iuka is so small they don’t even bother to post the number of inhabitants on the city limits sign. Big government has played havoc here. Billions were spent on the Yellow Creek Nuclear Plant before it got axed. NASA decided to build on the leftovers and then yanked that project. The Tennessee-Tombigbee Waterway cuts across the county, leaving promises of bottomless riches unfulfilled. It did make inland Iuka, in the far northeastern corner of the state, a port. Quite a distinction for a town that also looks up to the highest point in Mississippi, Woodall Mountain. But the federal bigwigs haven’t killed the spirit of the place yet.

Iuka (and Tishomingo County) is one of those places where people leave the truck running while they dash into the post office to post a letter. Where the rural residents not only mow their yard, but a good portion of the right-of-way right up to the road. Where people still go to the drive-in theater. Where Sonic is the drive-through of teen choice, whether or not you order anything (I saw an obviously rented limo drive through two days ago). Where you wave to people on the back roads, whether you know them or not. (There’s the one-finger acknowledgement, the two-finger good will, and the full hand wave when you’re really excited). Where the weekly newspaper still publishes the school menus. Where the weather is a topic of serious discussion, and dogs, cats, and other assorted critters vie for the majority.

For all that may go on behind the scenes and in the smoke-filled back rooms, Iuka is one of those towns that sleeps serenely at night and goes calmly about its business by day. It has its share of ruffians, but most folks are decent, down-to-earth people who mind their business and help out their neighbors in time of need. It’s where you know who you are, and how you ought to behave. Some would rather flee to the anonymity of the big city, away from the social straits. But most of us want and need the definition that small towns like Iuka provide.

You can have the hustle and bustle of the big apples. I prefer the sweet little Iuka cherries.

I hope that helps some. If I can be of any further help, send me an email or message and I'll see what I can do.

Good luck with the decision.

Bryant Chaffin

Jackson, MS

Well, I hate to tell you but Labor day is the state wide opening of dove season in MS so there will be plenty of folks shooting but very few shooting pistols. That's something about small town Mississippi you'll have to get used to. Opening days of hunting seasons are kind of like national holidays. Kids get pulled out of school, shops close, etc.

:D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
ATK is checking David's references  Looks good for us to get OUTOUTOUTOUTOUT of Calibanfornia

can we have a mass

WOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I believe in Mississippi it is "weeedoggie!" as opposed to "WOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO." :P

-ld

Well, as I'm sure you've heard, things move at a slower pace in small town Mississippi. We speak more slowly, get excited about things more slowly, etc. Given that, I'd have to say that a reference check and the possibility of a move would get a "Hey, that's great". To get a "Weeeeedoggie" out of us, you'd have to do something a little more exciting, like jumping one of our blaze orange Dodge chargers over the local creek while calling for "Crazy Cooter" on the CB...yeah, that might get a "weeeedoggie".

I'm pretty sure jumping the car over the creek is a "Yeeeeeeeee Haaaaaaa". I don't know what gets a "weeeedoggie" and I have lived in Mississippi all of my life.

Welcome to Mississippi. I know it'll be a really long drive, but I hope y'all make it down to shoot with us in the state capital, Jackson, sometime. The Section Championship is the second weekend of October here if y'all are interested. . .