Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primer question

Works fine, I have burned many cases of Winchester primers for regular and magnum loads, as well as many cases of magnum primers from various manufacturers. As with any change of load back it off a bit and chrono back up.

I have always wondered about this: is there any difference between Magnum and standard non-Magnum pistol primers other than the fact the cups are thicker on the Magnums?

Magnum primers seem to have a bit more bang. Hotter/longer flame??

When I was running a 40 minor load in production, changing to magnum primers

would pick up the velocity around 10-15 fps. The magnum primers seemed to

light off the small powder charge more consistently---it would shrink

my extreme spread by about 20 fps.

I can't say about all primers, but with the CCI, the standard and magnum primers are different. Besides the thicker metal in the cup, the magnum primers use a different priming compound. The priming compound in the CCI magnum primer is hotter than the standard.

I expect that the Winchester primers marked as usable in both standard and magnum loads err of hte side of being hotter to minimize any risks of not igniting a heavy load of slow powder.

Guy

I have always wondered about this: is there any difference between Magnum and standard non-Magnum pistol primers other than the fact the cups are thicker on the Magnums?

Guy?

Not to steal the thread but...How about using Win small pistol Magnum primers for 38 super, 9mm, and 40SW? I have 2000 small pistol magnum primers sitting on my shelf and I would like to use them for something other then 357 magnum (which I do not reload for).

Not to steal the thread but...How about using Win small pistol Magnum primers for 38 super, 9mm, and 40SW? I have 2000 small pistol magnum primers sitting on my shelf and I would like to use them for something other then 357 magnum (which I do not reload for).

The guy I referenced above uses small pistol Magnums quite a bit, in both 9 and 40.

He says he gets an avg 11 feet per second increase and a cleaner burn (what's not to love?). If I ever use up my stock of standard primers I'm going to break into my old stock of magnum primers.

• 4 weeks later...