Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Getting Cash to win a match/division

nmipsc

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been to a number of "big" matches over the last 3 years. I've recieved cash (helped with expences) prizes (also helped with other expences) But the things I prize the most are the plaques and trophys I've recieved. 95% of the matches I've shot all of the big dogs have been there. I don't believe they were attending for the cash I believe it to be for the love of the sport. Certianly they put in a lot of effort to be the best. I try to put in a lot of effort also. But probably not anywhere near what they put out. And I believe effort should be rewarded being in whatever form. I seriously don't believe anyone is going to get rich shooting this sport. If it was about the money you'de only have 20 to 30 shooters attending the matches and guys like me looking for something else to do.

Shooting is expensive, from the beginner to the experienced IMHO. Some money do helps for those who's dedicated to push the envelope. But the money should not comes from the hiked entry fees, but from big sponsors. That way, the sports gonna grow big.

I have yet to shoot a match with the possibility of a cash return and the idea would not influence my participation one way or the other. I get a LOT out of every match I shoot, from the camaraderie of fellow shooters to developing and improving my own skills. Don't forget the FUN, either. No prize check, or lack of, will change the match for me.

+100000000 Sir. It makes my stomach turn for people to shoot or not shoot a match because of the way the winnings are. Is that why they are there to shoot? Is that what IPSC shooting is about? Winning and making some money? The top shooters will always be for "winning" your way to the prize table, nothing wrong with that. They earned their trip with dedication and hard work, reward them for that, just do it in every class of every division based on the participation.

Ok let me clearify. I don't blame the top guys for going where the money is (But don't they allready have a sponsor that pays them to shoot IE: Army, Glock, S&W).

VERY few team shooters do nothing but shoot. The army guys are training the troops most of the time, Dave S. works in the marketing dept for Glock. Guys like Jerry M and Doug K do appearances all year long and are away from their families quite a bit. You might be surprised at how little most of the sponsored shooters are actually "paid".

I blame the MD for putting on half a-- simple stage match which makes it even easier for the top guys to beat everyone and then attract the top guys by paying out big money. So some folks putting on a good to great match is not the draw anymore.... it's the money? I guess that is the point, money verse great matches. like Area 2, besides Taran and Henning, no names!

If you haven't noticed the top shooters or "names" win most matches, no matter what type they are. As far as A2 goes, a lot of the top shooters were just returning the middle of the match week from two weeks in Bali at World Shoot XV.

Shooting at a BIG MATCH where there is a significant number of top guns is a great experience. I get to shoot a stage and see how on exactly the same course in the same conditions I fair against them. This is a lot different than looking at your classifier scores. It lets you know for real what is possible.

I am a Senior and I somtimes slip into the I am getting Older so I Can't and then some Super Senior kicks my but and I know that it is my skills that are lacking, not my age holding me back.

As for the cost of a match, the match fee is usually less than the gas and food bill be it local or Nationals or anything in between.

Nationals are what $500 for both? I spent more than that on Gas to get there. Add in the food, Campground and ammo and the match fee is one of the lower cost line items.

Three Gun, $175 or so for a match fee, 300 rounds of Rifle, Shotgun and Pistol the ammo alone nearly equals the match fee. Forget the gas and food.

Jim

To me it sounds like the same ole gripes that have been floating for years. Top shooters make SO much cash from sponsors and classes, it's not fair they get prize money too, they get so much product that prize tables are unfair too, top shooters don't have to patch, top shooters "get away" with more at matches, top shooters get all the hot women/men, and are a danger to children and small animals. There is probably only a handful of shooters that truly make a living from just shooting...if that many. Most work in the industry and work their asses off for what they get...just like any job. Read Brians bio for a good idea of what being a sponsored shooter is like. And as far as winning cash and prizes, with the amount of work it takes to be "given" that cash for a match win....well if you are not willing to put in the time or effort to become a match winner, you just won't understand no matter what arguements are given.

Thank you for everyones post and comments. I have said what I needed and may look at this in the future a different way. I guess your right the match fee is not the biggest part of the expense, after hotel, plane flight or gas food and alike. Also thanks for the update on Area 2 and the World Shoot never put them together. Wondered why so little turn out of the "names"

One last thing a GOOD quality match (IE: Fun, creative stages, well designed, good RO staff) 300+ rounds 12-14 stages. Large prize table. Good awards for winners, and such. How large an entry fee would you pay to go.

150? 175? 200? 225? 250?

make a difference weather the "names" show up or not at the match?

I'm not going to pay more than $175 to go to an Area match or smaller. I'll do like the others and just shoot the club matches when they go above that. There's not an Area match or Level II match anywhere within reasonable driving distance to me so travel time, fuel costs, hotels and food are expenses that continue to add up to the point that the reward just isn't there. I can't have a good time knowing I spent $1000 to be there when that money could have been better served spent somewhere else.

There's not an Area match or Level II match anywhere within reasonable driving distance to me so travel time, fuel costs, hotels and food are expenses that continue to add up to the point that the reward just isn't there.

What do you consider a reasonable drive?

Edited by TRNinTX

Within 2 hours. Outside of 2 hours I think constitutes spending the night somewhere close to the match facility. There's not an Area or Level II match within a 4 hour drive of me. I'm not complaining about that as most of us are in the same boat. Due to the travel distance and time, it almost mandates a spend the night thing.

Here's another question. Same match, same everything but the difference is one is a plaque only match for $125.00. The other is a $200.00 prize table match. The lowest item on the table is worth over $100.00. Top item is over $1000.00 Which would you rather go to? I know which one I'm going to. Now if it's a $125.00 awesome cool match and a lame $200.00 match with prizes, I'll still go to the awesome match.

BTW, the difference in match prices is probably an exaggeration. I don't know of any matches that spend $75.00 per shooter on the prize table.

Here's another question. Same match, same everything but the difference is one is a plaque only match for $125.00. The other is a $200.00 prize table match. The lowest item on the table is worth over $100.00. Top item is over $1000.00 Which would you rather go to? I know which one I'm going to. Now if it's a $125.00 awesome cool match and a lame $200.00 match with prizes, I'll still go to the awesome match.

BTW, the difference in match prices is probably an exaggeration. I don't know of any matches that spend $75.00 per shooter on the prize table.

Then you should come to ours. We have 2 custom rifles worth over $3000 each and 1 worth $1500 (DPMS M4 flat top).

On your prize table match, in what order do shooter get to go to the table and how many people get to go? By order of finish or random drawing? At the PMC match we did a random drawing and everyone got to go at least once. Almost every prize worth more than the entry fee of $150.

Within 2 hours. Outside of 2 hours I think constitutes spending the night somewhere close to the match facility. There's not an Area or Level II match within a 4 hour drive of me.

Google maps has you 4 hrs from Conyers where Area 6 is being held this year.

Edited by TRNinTX

Within 2 hours. Outside of 2 hours I think constitutes spending the night somewhere close to the match facility. There's not an Area or Level II match within a 4 hour drive of me.

Google maps has you 4 hrs from Conyers where Area 6 is being held this year.

That is correct. I said there is not one within 4 hours. There IS one sometimes 4 hours away, and that is if traffic is very fluid. If you've never driven around Atlanta then you don't know what I mean. It has 2 listings in the Nations 10 worse traffic jams and they are both on I-75. I've shot at South River a couple times including the 2008 Area 6. To shoot that match, I must spend the night in a local hotel for at least 2 nights.

I thought I seen a thread on here awhile back talking about seperate entry fees where you had the option of payback in addition to a plaque/trophy if you placed. Obviously the trophy only fee was less expensive. That is something I would like to see. Yes, it would mean some extra work on the stats crew, how much would depend on how many late comers to the match I guess. I guess it boils down to if you really want the skinny on what works and what doesn’t you need to talk to the MD, SC, and AD to find out. With State entry fees ranging from $35 (Minnesota) to $140 (Georgia) and Area fees going from $60 (7) to $245 (2) it is obvious every area of the country is different in what it expects out of their matches. In the end you must answer the question “How much am I willing/able to spend to have an enjoyable time at a match?” Personally, for me I will not pay over 100 bucks to go to a match and shoot 8 stages, not worth it (to me). If I can RO it to bring the cost down I do, if I cannot due to time constraints, I simply don’t go. As far as the argument as shooting with the big dogs, well,,,,,,,,,,,,can you say super squad. You can say you competed AGAINST them but not WITH them. Unless I’ve just had bad timing I’ve never had time to even go by and watch them. But in the end it's all good and the matches I do attend I have a good time.

I thought I seen a thread on here awhile back talking about seperate entry fees where you had the option of payback in addition to a plaque/trophy if you placed. Obviously the trophy only fee was less expensive. That is something I would like to see. Yes, it would mean some extra work on the stats crew, how much would depend on how many late comers to the match I guess. I guess it boils down to if you really want the skinny on what works and what doesn’t you need to talk to the MD, SC, and AD to find out. With State entry fees ranging from $35 (Minnesota) to $140 (Georgia) and Area fees going from $60 (7) to $245 (2) it is obvious every area of the country is different in what it expects out of their matches. In the end you must answer the question “How much am I willing/able to spend to have an enjoyable time at a match?” Personally, for me I will not pay over 100 bucks to go to a match and shoot 8 stages, not worth it (to me). If I can RO it to bring the cost down I do, if I cannot due to time constraints, I simply don’t go. As far as the argument as shooting with the big dogs, well,,,,,,,,,,,,can you say super squad. You can say you competed AGAINST them but not WITH them. Unless I’ve just had bad timing I’ve never had time to even go by and watch them. But in the end it's all good and the matches I do attend I have a good time.

If you work the South Carolina Sectional, you get to shoot for free. You also get a chance to win a check if you place in your class. Depending upon where you live in South Carolina, you might only need one night in a hotel. Food is provided. I don't see how you can get a better deal for a 225 round field course only match? Where do you shoot normally (Club)?