Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Scope for long range/tactical rifle

ofcrfs242

I have a Remington 700 PS in 308 and am looking for optics. Unfortunately I can't spend the money for a Nightforce or Schmidt and Binder. I have narrowed it down to three scopes and was wondering if anyone on here can give first hand experiences with these scopes or comparison would be great.

Luepold VXII target

Nikon Monarch

Burris black diamond

Thanks in advance

Robert

I tried the search function but did not find anything comparing these specific scopes. Was hoping someone had used all three and could give a real comparison.

Search function on the forums is your friend. There is a LOT of discussion on this already.

Rich

Edited by ofcrfs242

I have a Remington 700 PS in 308 and am looking for optics. Unfortunately I can't spend the money for a Nightforce or Schmidt and Binder. I have narrowed it down to three scopes and was wondering if anyone on here can give first hand experiences with these scopes or comparison would be great.

Luepold VXII target

Nikon Monarch

Burris black diamond

Thanks in advance

Robert

I already have my flame suit on, however, if $ is an issue.. Google the Super Sniper. Stupid name, but real nice scope for the money.

:sight:

Money is an issue to a point. I can't afford to put $1500 worth of glass on it at this point. I could manage about half of that and of course want to get the best for my money.

The warranty on the Burris and Leupold are also very attractive and I would prefer to stay with one of the more name brand scopes. I have several Leupold's but I am not as impressed with them as I once was. The Burris black diamond intrigues me but I don't know anyone who has or has had one of them.

Can't afford the S&B or N.F.?

Save your money until you can.

Advice from one who has been there and wasted that dollar.

Don't get substandard stuff because you'll only wind up spending that dollar 2X +.

JK

Every scoped rifle I have has a Leupold sitting on top. Never considered using anything else.

I recently looked through a Nightforce... I'm saving up :wub::D

I either have or have used all 3 brands. All are fine quality scopes and warranties are outstanding.

Nikon actually replaced a scope that I abused and damaged the reticle adjustments.

Overall quality, IMHO, Leupold is tough to beat. I have 8-10 (can't remember) rifles with everything from 4x to 6x20 power. All of them work awesome. For me the most important thing is light transmission while I'm hunting at dusk, and this is where the Leupolds seem to work best.

I guess besides budget your decision needs to be based on what you want the scope to do?? Target, hunting, competition??

The difference between ok glass and good glass is incredible.

If you get the chance to look through an S&B scope please do so. It is even more dramatic when you've looked through your Leupold and then roll over and gaze through the N.F. or the S&B.

Good glass costs money.

Theres a reason why one scope costs $400 and another costs $1000+

There are quality and repeatability issues with less costly glass.

If all you can afford is a Loopy then thats it but my advice is to wait and save and buy your glass once.

JK

I've had or have Burris,Leupold,S&B,Swarovski,Nightforce,IOR and US Optics.

For a long range tactical scope and the best bang for the buck....I like the Nightforce 5.5-22x50 with an NPR1 reticule. You're looking about $1700.

The glass on the S&B is absolutely,unbelievably,unreal clear and crisp but comes with a price tag to match. Worth it? Every penny if you can afford it. The glass in the USO scopes are right on their heels. Swarovski is also sick clear but not really a tactical scope. IOR is good glass but their mechanics have alot of problems and I've been through several before giving up on them.

Burris makes a tactical scope but in my opinion is not up to the task although they make great scopes. I use Burris Black Diamonds on my hunting rifles and love them. I did have an XTR 3-12 Tactical and it was not what I was looking for in a tactical scope. The Leupold Mark 4 line may be what you are after. Great glass for the money,the TMR reticle works very well and the price is right. I have the 3.5-10x40 with the TMR and am very pleased with it and have shot it out to 800 yards. Its one of my favorites. The Mark 4 is available in 4.5-14x50 and 6.5-20x50 as well as other powers and configurations depending on what you need. The 4.5-14 is a great scope and very capable to shoot to 800 or a little further.

A good friend always tells me....Buy once,cry once. Its good advice when it comes to good glass.

KGUNZ11 hasn't stopped in this thread yet....but I know he'll tell you to get a NF and he has tried all the brands at some point or another. He has enough Nightforce to outfit the Benosverse if need be. B)

Edited by 00bullitt

Also before I forget don't scrimp and save on the rings and bases.

Call Marty Bordsen at Badger Ord and get his rings and bases.

Top notch stuff from Marty.

According to 2 excellent gunsmiths (Charlie Milazzo and Al Warner) these rings and bases can be relied upon to not need to be lapped extensively if at all.

JK

Can't afford the S&B or N.F.?

Save your money until you can.

Advice from one who has been there and wasted that dollar.

Don't get substandard stuff because you'll only wind up spending that dollar 2X +.

JK

This is the best advice you'll get when purchasing optics, whether its a rifle scope, spotting scope or binoculars.

What are you going to use your rifle for? Group shooting off a bench, any of the options listed in the initial post will work just fine for the rifle mentioned. If you're planning to shoot in matches or training where your kit will be banged around and put through the wringer, save up and get something that'll last. Several good options have been suggested in this thread.

Another good source to research is Sniper's Hide Forum. Go to the Optics forum and read away.

I've regretted many "go fast" things I've bought for firearms through the years, but I've NEVER regretted spending $ on top quality optics.

That said, Leupold has a very nice reputation for quality and durability and their warranty is outstanding.

David

my wife runs a leupold 4.5-14 x40 mark 4LRT 30mm tube mildot. great scope good price..about 750ish, nice thing about it is you can mount it lower with the 40mm objectice so you dont have to mess around with building up the stock for your cheek weld... shes hit at over 1000 yrds with her 308.and she made it look easy

What ever scope you choose consider getting matching turrets and reticle. Mil/mil, or moa/moa. They are much easier to use if the dial ups match the reticle.

Nightforce has just come out with a FFP scope that is receiving great reviews, Premier has also come out with a new FFP scope, and of course my favorite U S Optics.

Save up and get the best glass you can, you won't be sorry.

I've been looking at getting this IOR 3-18 FFP scope. Its got a good set of features for the money. They are about $1450.00

Magnification................................3x-18x

Objective.....................................42mm

FOV @ 100yds............................. 61' to 8'

Eye Relief.....................................3.35"

Ocular adjustment........................+4 to -4 dpt

Adj. Range...................................22 Milradians

Click Value...................................1cm (.1 Mils)

Tube........................................... 35mm Alloy

Length.........................................13.5"

Weight.........................................28 oz.

That is what everyone has said and that's what I'm gonna do. I think I have decided on the Nightforce. It is just hard to have this thing sittin here and not being able to shoot it. On the plus the wife said no problem buying a $1600 scope. So might as well go for it.

Thanks for all the imput

Robert

Save up and get the best glass you can, you won't be sorry.

The NF is a good investment and will last longer than your lifetime. You will not be sorry.

I may offer one more piece of advice. The NF is offered in the 56mm objective. The larger objective makes it harder to mount the scope low to the bore. I personally can not see a gain in the 56 over the 50. That may be one more opinion to get before purchasing.

The other piece of advice about having the turret clicks match the reticule is also extremely valid.

Let us know when you get it and what you think.

I looked at that and the 56mm would put it up too high. At this point I have pretty much decided on the 50. Once I get it I will post some pics of the whole package.

The NF is a good investment and will last longer than your lifetime. You will not be sorry.

I may offer one more piece of advice. The NF is offered in the 56mm objective. The larger objective makes it harder to mount the scope low to the bore. I personally can not see a gain in the 56 over the 50. That may be one more opinion to get before purchasing.

The other piece of advice about having the turret clicks match the reticule is also extremely valid.

Let us know when you get it and what you think.

I own several NF and USO scopes. I have a Nikon Monarch on a Remington 700 that I hunt with. Yes you can tell the difference between it and the high end scopes but it does the job and holds zero. If you are not going all out on a scope take a look at the Nikon. I personally don't think the new Leupold scopes are anywhere near the quality of the old ones. I use nothing but Badger bases and rings and have never lapped any of the rings.

Leupold 6.5-20 X 50 30mm Tube

you could also get a 4.5-14 and be ok also

I would get the mill dot or TRM reticule, although the TRM has a small gap in the cross hairs which bothers me, Get the standard scope not the one that lights up, Leupold's version is worthless.

These are solid scopes, I have 4 of them and use them TONS every year, had one rebuilt this last year, it only cost me shipping. Yeah there are better scopes, I have a night force also and it blows the doors off the Leupold but you're talking MO Money.

If you know a dealer a new one will cost you about $900 or less shipped.

Chad