Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Gun Troubles

sgtis108

I shot my brand new Steelmaster today. I picked it up Thursday, and cleaned it that night. I noticed a few brass shavings in the bottom end. I took it to the range today and put FP 10 on all the appropriate parts before I began. The 3rd round I got a stove pipe. No biggy..... I know it needs to break in. I was using the mag that came with the gun. I continued and so did the stove pipes. I switched mags to my SV super mags. The stove pipes continued. On average about 1 in 20.  :angry:

When I got home and got it apart, there were brass shavings everywhere. The disconnector rail was yellow. I also noticed that when I cleared the stove pipe, the next round in the mag came out with it.

I have my thoughts, but what are yours?

Daniel Keith  

Sounds like an extractor issue. The extractor is losing tension as the case moves backwards, it can't eject it properly because it doesn't have the extractor tension to pivot on and it's starting to strip the next round when the slide closes on the empty.

I'd take a couple of those empties, feed them into the chamber and slowly pull the slide back while trying to watch the extractor and rim combo to see what's going on. It might just be a little more extractor tension will fix the problem.

Then again, it might be time for an AFTEC and having someone tune it for the proper strike point....I'm certainly no 9mm Open gun expert, but I do listen when they're talking :P

Stovepipe=fired case sticking out of ejection port with slide closed on it. Is that what you are having or are the live rounds going vertical and locking the gun up?

Look closely at the fired brass, it will tell you where the shavings are coming from.

Fired case sticking out of the ejection port, with the slide closed on it. Live round in the chamber.

I've looked at the brass it and I can narrow it down to the Win silver tip HP 115gr. I wonder if I'm having set back. The primers on that brass all seem to have a lot of flow.

I think I have a week extractor.

Do I contact STI? I bought it from Dawson.

I've never had a new open gun. If it were a used gun I put an AFTEC in and not look back.

Thanks

That was also a typical problem with the Stinger. The Steel Master is the same gun with some slide cuts and a 9mm barrel. I changed the extractor on my Stinger to an Aftec and adjusted the ejection angle so the brass did not hit the scope mount and eliminated the problem.

Do this simple test.

Remove the top end. Remove guide rod. Slide barrel forward like you are removing it from the slide. Take a loaded round and position under the extractor. If it falls out the the extractor needs more tension. If it stays then slide the barrel back to the breech face. Slide the barrel up in to the locking lugs. Then carefully move the barrel back down and move it forward. If the round stays put then the extractor is okay.

Kevin

Do this simple test.

Remove the top end. Remove guide rod. Slide barrel forward like you are removing it from the slide. Take a loaded round and position under the extractor. If it falls out the the extractor needs more tension. If it stays then slide the barrel back to the breech face. Slide the barrel up in to the locking lugs. Then carefully move the barrel back down and move it forward. If the round stays put then the extractor is okay.

Kevin

Passed the test, but noticed somthing. The back of the case doesn't touch the breech face. As a matter of fact there is about .03 gap between the the breech face and the head stamp.

That should explain the primer flow, and everything else.

Now do I fix this or send it back?

Since it's a new gun, I would send it back. See what Dave has to say.

Obviously, it's an improperly fit extractor. Does it move back and forth in the tunnel with the firing pin stop installed? Any movement at all could cause your problem. The firing pin stop could have been fit loose or the slot that the f/p stop fits in the extractor had material removed at the wrong end allowing the extractor to sit too far forward.

Let us know what they say, and if that does fix the issue. If you're having stove pipes it could be your mags in that gun. Are they mags you built or custom mags you bought from a well known builder?

SV mags, tuned by a pro.

Once I saw the problem, It was a no brainer.

I've ordered an AFETEC to replace the bad factory part.

It cost more for me to ship the gun than to buy the new extractor.

I was a little disappointed that I was expected to pay for the shipping.

Passed the test, but noticed somthing. The back of the case doesn't touch the breech face. As a matter of fact there is about .03 gap between the the breech face and the head stamp.

Nothing wrong with that. I've never seen an extractor that held the case tight against the breachface. If there is still a space when the barrel is locked up, then you have a problem.

Edited by wide45

While going over the issue with STI they agreed that the gap was to large. While in battery the extractor will move forward along the side of the case and the case should be against the breechface.

I'll try the AFTEC and if that isn't the issue I'll be back to the drawing board.

On the upside, every time I have a problem I get to learn somthing new!

By any chance did you get the "tune up" package that Dawson offers? if so i would argue the shipping charge. if it is a gun issue and not ammo or mag problem then the gun should have never been shipped out in the first place.

Dawson Precision is a great company with excellent customer service. they have always paid my shipping fee when "defective" items needed to be sent back.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the AFTEC in. I still had some malfunctions but they where different. The brass was backward in the ejection port. My conclusion was that the brass ejects and bounces off the mount back into the ejection port.

I tuned the ejector, moving the contact point up the face, and Presto!

400 rds 100% so far.

Thanks for the help guys.

Daniel