Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M class plan-Not M class skills

dleat

I started USPSA about 3 years ago but only shot a few local matches untill this year. I went to the PSA this April and this fall decided to accompany some friends to the Gator Classic. Started on stage 6, arguably the most complacated stage in the match. I developed a great plan for shooting 4 clamshells and a mover. The problem is it was a great M class plan which did not work well with my D class skills.

5 misses and a red face later you would think I had learned a lesson. Nope! Next 2 stages I did the same thing.

After comming home and looking back with that 20-20 hindsight I MAY have finally realized I have to plan a stage to my capabilities. DUH!!!!!!!!!

Oh well, I had a ball and learned a lot and that`s where it`s at for me right now.

Hmmmmm, think we have all been there. I do believe after watching the SuperSquad shoot at the Nationals, they usually have a plan for the absolute fastest way to shoot a stage. Fear of a tough shot or penalty shot doesn't seem to enter in to the equation.

I try to use our Tuesday night matches as a place to experiment, unleash the badger sorta. Then shoot the outdoor matches at the pace/difficulty level that I know I can handle.

Always ask yourself after a match "what did I learn today?"

Keep your head up and have fun!!

For a few moments at this years LA State IDPA championship, I had a stage plan that, had I been able to pull it off, would've been pretty damned amazing. Even JM didn't try what I was was thinking (I was shooting Revo). When the buzzer went off, I chickened out and shot a less risky plan. It was a long drive home and all I could think about was "what if I had gone for it". :blush:

The lesson I learned from that was, don't hold back. If you think you can do it, do it. If you crash and burn, figure out why and fix it for next time.

Practice is where you find out what you can do, a match is where you demonstrate what you can do. ;)

Sometimes I get an idea on how to shoot a stage, through practice I know what my splits and transitions and such are so that in a match I know if my idea will work or not.

There may be a faster way to shoot a stage but it means a pile of beans if I do not know for certain I can pull if off.

If you really want to shoot with confidence, know your times and carry a stop watch at matches. This takes the "I think I can" out of it and makes everything "I know I can" and isn't that the thought you want in your head when the buzzer goes off. B)

Like they say it's tough to soar with the eagles if you have the wings of a hummingbird.

A couple years ago at the Single Stack Nationals I shot in the squad with Phil Strater and Mike Seeklander... as luck would have it they put me (a C shooter at the time) right behind these two in the shooting order. Buy the third stage I was turning it times very close to theirs... but I was getting lots of Mikes and Ds and they were getting all alphas..... It was hard not to shoot at their pace... even though the results were not good.

I usually choose to go for it if there is substantial gain possible . When a plan doesn't pan out is where i learn the most about my abilities or shortcomings.

Nothing pisses me off more than going with too safe of a plan.

Shoot angry ;)

Nothing pisses me off more than going with too safe of a plan.
Been there. A few years back I was looking at a speed shoot with some movers, disapperaing target, and some steel. The fastest, most efficient way was to shoot the activator, perforate all of the paper, whack the disapperaing target, then finish on the clamshelll, but the transitions were really wide. If the plan didn't work, the turner would have turned and I would be shooting at the "head" on the clamshell/bear trap. I was discussing the stage with forum members Sam and John Dunn and I remarked, "I am not fast enough." Behind me a voice said, "Yes you are." I looked around and Ron Avery was standing behind me. He told me something along the lines of, 'You are easily capable of shooting it in that order." He was right.

The lesson I learned is before one can come up with a plan he/she must know their capabilites. The shooter needs to know what they can do, with no room for self doubt. Get a plan, then shoot the array without consious thought or judgement. The hits will be what they will be, and the time is what it is...mostly A's as efficiently as possible.

Sam will remember the stage well. He shot it like clockwork, great hits, perfect timing, then the gremlin sneaked in... I'll let Sam tell the rest.

Edited by Ron Ankeny

Shoot angry

LoL!

I like that.

While it absolutely sucks tanking a stage you KNOW you could have shot better, the feeling of triumph after "rolling the dice" on an array and NAILING IT is hard to beat, and keeps me coming back for more. :)

"Safe" is better in the long run, but "going for it" sure is fun!

After every match, when I am looking over the scores, I figure out where I could have done better (AKA gone faster). In almost every case its a matter of laying back and no going for it. I'm a B class shooter, but have had a few M class stages along the way so I know its there, jut a matter of putting it together more consistently.

After every match, when I am looking over the scores, I figure out where I could have done better (AKA gone faster).

Sounds like you are on the right track, you have your points but need to shoot more efficiently. I have been doing stats for 9 years and when I look at the results, most folks just don't have enough points across the target faces. Hits are more of an issue than speed.

My girlfriend was at the ICORE match this weekend, and I was explaining X count to her. The stage was 42 rounds (I know) and I looked at it for a while, counted up the arrays and the reloads, and said, "I'll shoot this in around 35 seconds, so if I can get 35 X hits, my time is zero for the stage." Of course, I didn't get that many X hits, but my time? 34.98. Granted that's a lot of luck, but you have to at least know some general parameters for your splits and transitions before the stage, so that you can watch the activators and figure out the best plan for you. You also need to know your consistency on non-shooting areas, like whether you can absolutely count on a 1.4 sec reload every time, or if you might crash and run 2.5 seconds occasionally.

Up until this year, my general plan was this: I can make two medium shots before the activator goes usually. Reload on the move. Leave myself a few in the mag if possible on steel. Don't slidelock.

That's pre-stage planning. During the stage, I'm just running through the target order as clearly as possible, everything else has to go auto.

H.

I shot 1 local match in 06, 3 in 07, and 8 in 08. I was 65 when I started. There is no USPSA in Kalamazoo yet. I own no activated targets and only this comming summer will I have a place where I can practice what I want when I want. The stage I mentioned had 2 pairs of clamshells activated by thier respective stomp boxes. The first also activated a 2 target mover. This was waaaaaay byond anything I had ever seen and I had no real idea of how to plan this at all. I do shoot mostly A`s although I sure didn`t on this stage. I got an education on what real stages look like and learned a lot. For me to try to shoot both clamshells and the mover was way byond what my ability to see and my confidence level would allow. Shooting the mover first and taking the head shots on the close clamshells would have been reasonable. I did shoot the activated pair of clamshells ok on the other side of the stage, 3 A`s and a C.

All I was saying was walking before running is necessary. I had not had the experience necessary with this kind of stage to even make a realistic plan but I will learn. I am sure I am not alone when I say it is easy to want to shoot a stage like an M but I think I have a few things to learn first. Untill I can no longer run I will not let my age or my Nome like body stop me.

Thanks to all who joined me in this thread.