Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thanks Lisa

JThompson

As most of you know by now I'm doing a little production waiting on my open blaster. My eyes aren't that great and I was having issues seeing the notch and the sight. I read the latest front sight where Lisa Munson used some Avery day glow colored labels cut and stuck on the rear sight. I figured what the hell... I shot like crap last week and I had just installed a fiber optic front, so.... I put the green color on the rear and the red on the fiber front. Hey! This is much better. I had 10 or more makeup shots last week along with several mikes and a NS or two. I got 7th place overall. With the fiber and the sticker I shot the match tonight clean with 3 makeup shots and no Ds. Yahoo! I got third overall only down to an A open shooter and an M limited shooter. Now that's what I'm talking about.

So again... Thanks Ms. Munson!!

JT

PS Around 8% back of the limited M guy. ;)

• 3 weeks later...
I read that also but found it strange that Front Sight would put a pic of her on the cover with a Open Gun?

It is a subliminal message pointing out the ultimate answer to aging eyes......................

I read that also but found it strange that Front Sight would put a pic of her on the cover with a Open Gun?

She wasn't on the cover of the mag ........... but on the cover pic of the story (holding an open gun, with a write-up about iron sights)

What a strange synchronicity. A few weeks ago, quite independently, I came up with the same idea. Only my rear sight is now white, and I didn't use an Avery label, but the sheets of adhesive paper on which those address labels are affixed that are sent out by Shooting USA have some nice, big, white areas on them....

In my case, I wasn't trying to make the rear sight more visible though, but to make it less visible. I've pretty much come to the conclusion that the primary purpose of the rear sight is to distract my eye from the front sight, and with the front sight painted orange (as it is, of course :)), the orange front/white rear seems to do a great job of really making the front sight "pop" for me.

• 1 month later...

I tried this a few months ago and she pointed out that it is important to get the rear strips as thin as possible. It seems to work pretty well for me. The tough thing is finding a glue that will hold the strips on for more than one match or in the rain.