Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

N320/ MG 180gr sanity check

Seth

I'm still new to working up loads and want to confirm my methodology, please.

Raw Materials:

Vit N320

Montana Gold 180gr CMJ

Mixed brass

Gun is a 5" Scheumann Ultimatch Bull and Bushing Barrell S_I. I've shot up to 1.185" with the gun and it feeds flawlessly.

My plan was starting at about 4.2gr N320 at 1.185" and work up to 5.2gr.

I've read lots of load data info here and on the Jeff Maass IPSC load list. Seems that the powder drop and length are about right.

Is there anything with regard to this particular load I should be aware of?

Thanks.

seth

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Raw Materials:

Vit N320

Montana Gold 180gr CMJ

Mixed brass

Gun is a 5" Scheumann Ultimatch Bull and Bushing Barrell S_I. I've shot up to 1.185" with the gun and it feeds flawlessly.

I've read lots of load data info here and on the Jeff Maass IPSC load list. Seems that the powder drop and length are about right.

Thanks.

seth

Seems fine. My load is 5.0 N320 with MGs at 1.185 with a KKM barrel, but YMMV. Sounds like a safe plan. I haven't heard of anything less than 4.6 make major at that length with a 5" barrel but if you want to start at 4.2 you'll be fine.

Raw Materials:

Vit N320

Montana Gold 180gr CMJ

Mixed brass

Thanks.

seth

Well I was beaten to this one

Kevin

Thanks guys. I'm still tentative on reloading and don't want to grenade a perfectly expensive firearm.

Thanks.

Seth

I recently developed a load for my 40 and started at 4,2. It was a light load, but already at 4,5 I see pressure signs(flattened primers, federal sp). This is with a OAL at 1,145’’. So, take care. OAL is critical in 40sw.

"Is there anything with regard to this particular load I should be aware of?"

Safe place to start, but it won't make major. I am shooting lead 180's, which takes less powder, and 4.5 grains of N-320 gives me major. My bullets are set to a OAL of 1.185, also.

You are really going to need to use a chronograph to see what a particular gun is doing. Two identical guns with identical loads can have entirely different results (read as will have different results).

Good luck, Buddy

MG 180gr jhp, 5.0 gr of N320, win small rifle primer, and mixed brass loaded to 1.200 gives me a consistent 171-173 PF.

This out of a SC Brazos limited gun.

Also produced same results in 3 different guns including 2 sight trackers.

Thanks gang...this is good stuff!

I'm going to be setting up my 550 for 40 this winter...for a 5" Sig so I'm happy to see this info.

I already bought the N320 and MG 180's too.

<subjectivity drift on>

How would you guys describe the feel of this load? Snappy...pushy...smokey...etc? I have read that n320 is a clean powder.

I know that is tough...but I'm shooting a heavy stainless steel sig.

</>

I have a 5" STI 40 cal Hack-Fu special courtesy of Mig. I use 5.1 gr of N320, OAL of 1.180, mixed brass, decent crimp, and MG CMJ 180s for a power factor of 172.

Not too snappy and not too soft. Just right. With enough margin that I sleep through the chrono stage!!

Chaps 1

Team Hack-Fu

We think we know what we are doing!!

Thanks gang...this is good stuff!

I'm going to be setting up my 550 for 40 this winter...for a 5" Sig so I'm happy to see this info.

I already bought the N320 and MG 180's too.

<subjectivity drift on>

How would you guys describe the feel of this load? Snappy...pushy...smokey...etc? I have read that n320 is a clean powder.

I know that is tough...but I'm shooting a heavy stainless steel sig.

</>

I find it a push straight back with both the Glock and the STI. No smoke at all.

I'm going to shoot it indoors tonite for the first time. Chrono tomorrow. I did 4.8, 5.0 and 5.2.

You should be really close. In my Edge, 5.0gr with a MG 180fmj at 1.200" gives me a PF of 174-175. I can drop down to about 4.7-4.8 and get 170pf. Schuemann barrels tend to run a little slow, so 5.0 might be right on the money. R,