Dry Fire Tip

zhunter

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dry fire = borrrring
still haven't bought a timer yet.

There's your problem. You need a timer, otherwise you have no idea how you are progressing. With the timer and keeping a log you can actually see your improvement. When you can actually see your improvement I doubt you will get bored quite so quickly.

I don't think improving oneself can be boring.

THANKS, now you're talking!

Lots and lots of good tips!

I'll try to put it all together and see what happens. I know I need that timer, just keep forgetting to order one. Going to do that RIGHT now.

Thanks guys and to the OP, didn't mean to step on your toes, man.

As you can see, I need lots of help.

Thanks again.

If you practice near your computer, you could use the timer on Matt burkett's dry fire drill site to get by until you get one. You can set par times on it and the voice keeps repeating the start command.

I like to hang some reduced hardcover targets, set the par time around 9 seconds or so and at the beep draw and fire at three targets and then reload do it again and again until your out of mags. I work with four training mags. Find a start time and then start working it down.

• 4 weeks later...

A big +1 to Steve's dryfire book and purchasing a timer, both have helped to give me structure and direction. And as a D class shooter, that is what I need.

Not to hijack the post, but I made some dummy rounds with unprimed brass with a bullet seated backwards in the case and no powder. I am not chambering any of the rounds when I dryfire and the backwards bullet makes it really easy to differentiate them from live rounds. I haven't read this mentioned by anyone else, so is there a downside to it? It works for me.

If you practice near your computer, you could use the timer on Matt burkett's dry fire drill site to get by until you get one. You can set par times on it and the voice keeps repeating the start command.

I like to hang some reduced hardcover targets, set the par time around 9 seconds or so and at the beep draw and fire at three targets and then reload do it again and again until your out of mags. I work with four training mags. Find a start time and then start working it down.

I used to use Matt Burkett's flash/animated timer with the voice commands (Shooter ready...standby....beep....par time beep...........................................Shooter ready.... standby.... beep....par time beep....)

I got away from it when I realized I could make 3 to 4 times more presentations in the same amount of time by not having to wait for the commands and for the whole thing to reset. I occasionally throw in some to get used to reacting to the beep, and more importantly to use the par timer to push myself, but I get more effecient practice just drawing and sighting without all the down time waiting for the commands.

I thought the comment about dryfire and getting a timer relates just as much to the improvements you'll be able to quantify with a timer during live fire. (Which would sell you on the efficacy of dry firing.)

A big +1 to Steve's dryfire book and purchasing a timer, both have helped to give me structure and direction. And as a D class shooter, that is what I need.

Not to hijack the post, but I made some dummy rounds with unprimed brass with a bullet seated backwards in the case and no powder. I am not chambering any of the rounds when I dryfire and the backwards bullet makes it really easy to differentiate them from live rounds. I haven't read this mentioned by anyone else, so is there a downside to it? It works for me.

Makes it really difficult if you want to practice unloaded gun starts if you are not chambering a round. If you are following the first rule of dryfiring of not having live ammo in the same room with you and following rule 2 of inspecting any ammo to make sure it is inert then the bullet can safely be loaded properly. As a D shooter you should start every practice like a stage of a match, starting with loading mags, positioning them on your belt, draw the gun as you would at make ready, load, safe and holster the gun. With the timer set for a par you can meet; draw, fire and reload, repeat lots of times. Now unload the gun, reset the timer and try lots of draw, insert mag, chamber round and fire.

Lots and lots of reasons to have the bullet seated normally and none that I can think of to having it reversed except that if you did chamber it the bullet might get stuck in the leade. With a normally loaded bullet (except powder & primer) you can check for bullet set back after a few chamberings. If the bullet sets back too far in normal use you can experience the rapid magazine unload through the floorplate. Please don't ask how I know. :surprise: