Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Take the poll - which brass do you use?

Fullauto_Shooter

I learned so much from my last poll (bullet diameter) that I decided to do another one. If you shoot a 38 Super-based round, what type brass do you use? I'll list only the ones I'm familiar with, understand there are others out there so you may "write in" your choice if it isn't listed on the poll.

I've currently got a moderate supply of both 38 Super and 38 Supercomp brass and recently picked up a Starline gift certificate and I'm sort of at a crossroads of which type of brass I should choose. I'm interested to learn what you use in your Open gun - AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, WHY?? Please share your rationale for selecting your particular brass of choice.

Thanks,

Doug

Edited by Fullauto_Shooter

I would perhaps have asked: Super or Rimless as opposed to Super, Supercomp or TJ. Why? Armscorp is mostly rimless, Hornady TJ, Lapua, Starline of course makes both rim and rimless.

Me, I use rimless, I have bought Starline, Armscorp and Lapua and collected much left lying about. If the head fits inside a .40 case, it runs, it it doesn't then I consider it rimmed.

Jim

I voted NULL as I can use all 3 with no problems.

My gun will run anyone with no problems with reliability at all. I am one of the lucky ones that it eats whatever I feed it.

I tested each keeping the apart, mixing them up and so on, saw no change in gun or mags at all.

The gun has a Barstol 38 Super barrel so when I first got it I bought Super brass and started picking out the SuperComp.

Then I had a supply of comp building up so I loaded some up and started testing.

I picked up 2500 rounds of Armscorp last year for Nationals in rimless just because I could run it.

Buy rimless, Hornady TJ or Starline. It runs better in the mags, OAL isn't as critical and it is just easier to keep running over the long haul. No way would I buy Super brass when I could set the gun up to run SC/TJ.

It seems that about 2/3 of folks are using the rimless / SC brass - primarily for enhanced reliability.

I am curious why 1/3 are still using .38 Super - maybe they have plenty of brass stockpiled and don't want to convert?

Anyone who's still running .38 Super, please share your reasons for doing so.

Thanks,

Doug

Guys in my area who are now using .38SC only on their guns sold me their 38S brass (diff headstamp) for a bargain price and few bottles of beer.... they are happy with the money and drink, I drank with them so i am happy too and i got their brass nyahahahaha...... Shooting it once in a while bec I switched to 9Major for now.

I used .38s and .38sc and so far i dont have any feeding/extraction failure experience with my gun. I am using whatever is available bec my barrel digest them and my aftec extractor never fail me yet.

It seems that about 2/3 of folks are using the rimless / SC brass - primarily for enhanced reliability.

I am curious why 1/3 are still using .38 Super - maybe they have plenty of brass stockpiled and don't want to convert?

Anyone who's still running .38 Super, please share your reasons for doing so.

Thanks,

Doug

I wouldn't be looking for any definitive answers to this question. It comes down to what your priority is. If reliability is top, then run one of the 38 super rimless variants. If cost is top priority, then 9mm major or 38 super rimmed might be the best for you. You will get as many differing opinions on this as the amount of folks you ask. I personally run starline 38 supercomp. Since I am self employed right now, any time I spend shooting is basicaly time I dont spend earning money. My time is too precious to run anything but the best I can afford.

To us "10 round" guys it doesn't really matter if you can get another round in the mag. .38 Super is cheaper and you can usually pick up the rest from your buddies who've converted to Super Comp for a song, if not FREE.

Edited by gino_aki

I, like some of you above, use both. I use regular 38S because I get a lot of range pickups. If I had to buy it Supercomp makes more sense. My gun seems to shoot both ok. What I am wondering is how some of you using both load it. On a progressive press [650] it'd be great if I didn't have to sort the two types and load them separately. I tried them mixed and the main pain is that each brass has a different diameter and therefore in the shellholder the center is in a different place, making priming a royal PITA. The shellholder difference itself has not been an issue. Of course I could sell/trade off one, but is there a way to load both?? Does anyone do the super and supercomp together or have any ideas/tricks for this?