Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Have $700 for a new pistol, what to get?

hartzpad

I shoot in a local club with a CZ SP-01 9mm, I shoot in a non-IDPA class, usually Hi-cap but at 3 Gun matches I have to shoot in Open because of my Saiga 12 shotgun. Sold my old CETME .308 for $700 yesterday (bought it for $300 2 years ago) and I'm wondering what to get? My everyday carry is a Smith and Wesson M&P Compact 9mm, so I was thinking about an M&P 9 Pro, just more practice for carry. I won't consider a Glock 34 unless it comes with a CCF steel frame (and that won't fit in my budget) because the grip angle is all wrong for me. Are there any 9mm double stack 1911's in my price range (Para P18?)?

Gun will be used as a backup gun for competition (it MIGHT replace the SP-01 if I shoot it better) and Home Defense. Figured the M&P 9 Pro would work great in both of these roles and I already have some 17 round mags and holster from an old M&P 9 I used to have. If I had a little more money, I might try to find a CZ Tactical Sport 9mm, a used CZ Champion would be really cool but also out of my price range.

Give me some other suggestions or I'll just pick up an M&P 9 Pro and maybe then I can convert my SP-01 to single action and try to make a cool open gun out of it. I guess the M&P should be approved for production class soon if I want to classify for IDPA.

MP9Pro1lr.jpg

Edited by hartzpad

I just noticed the difference in slide profile between the M&P 9L and Pro. The Pro seems to have a narrower slide than the 9L and they both have slightly different profiles at the front of the slide. Does this make the 9 Pro harder to rack if it's narrower? Also seems that the 9L would have more slide mass because of this. Are these differences purely cosmetic or could they affect performance and use?

I think the 9L looks better but for roughly $50 more you get sights and a trigger job (although probably not as light as most would like to see), seems like good upgrades for $50. I was planning to put solid rear and fiber front sights on any M&P, if I can live with the Pro's sights I've saved at least $80 from buying new sights.

9L or 9 Pro? Leaning towards the 9 Pro for best value and "cool" factor.

I just noticed the difference in slide profile between the M&P 9L and Pro.

Also seems that the 9L would have more slide mass because of this.

I have both the Pro and 9L. Slide width is the same, no difference. They are both slightly narrower than the Fullsize (4.25"). 9L weighs slightly less than the Pro because of the angle cut muzzle but its insignificant.

In addition to the sights, the Pro has a different machined sear.

Pro's rear sight wasn't bad, but I didn't like the front - too wide and the FO blob was too big for me. Sold the sights off the gun for $50 and bought a Warren Sevigney Rear and Dawson FO front.

Edited by Filishooter

Thanks for the help. Ordered an M&P 9 Pro from Buds Gun Shop. Should fit in my Blade-Tech 4.25 M&P holster if I trim the end for the slide to pass through.

Instead of trimming it, heat the muzzle end of the holster up either in boiling water or a heat gun then put the longslide in a ziplock bag and push though!

Thanks for the help. Ordered an M&P 9 Pro from Buds Gun Shop. Should fit in my Blade-Tech 4.25 M&P holster if I trim the end for the slide to pass through.

Instead of trimming it, heat the muzzle end of the holster up either in boiling water or a heat gun then put the longslide in a ziplock bag and push though!

Thanks, that is a GREAT idea and will make the holster look much better than taking a dremel to it.