Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Barry Mount Converson (Cant Mount)

CenTX

At the Nationals I was squadded with a great bunch of shooters including Matt McLearn. Matt was shooting with the Barry mount and I liked the idea of getting the dot lower. I figured since Matt was a superb gunsmith and past US and World champion it had to be worth a try. So when I got home I ordered a Barry Mount. I found two sources, Henning Wahlgren and Mellinium Custom, there are probably other sources as well.

http://www.henningshootsguns.com/shop/1911.mounts.html

http://www.mcguns.com/

The mount fit perfectly with the five screw pattern of my existing Dawson mount. Probaly the hardest part was getting the screws out of the old mount, I mangled one getting it out.

Some people modify the C-more to put the adjustments on the left side, I just remove the slide when I need to adjust it. This was easy after I fabricated some "special adjustment tools" from Allen wrenches. Shortened an Allen wrench for the lock screws on the sight adjustment and shortened and ground/filed two Allen wrenchs to make right angle flat blade screw drivers. The actual adjustment of the sight is a little strange at first since you adjust in at angles instead of up down/left right. I was working up new loads and changing mounts at the same time so I adjusted it several times because of load differences. The first time I went to the range and adjusted it was hard and took a while. After the second time it was easy, just took me a little time to get the angles straight in my head. Once I settled on a load and sighted it in on that, I have not touched it. Shot about 5 matches with it now and love it.

I tried dry firing after changing to the Barry mount and the first few times I hit the back of the C-more with my thumb, but after after a few tries that is no longer a problem.

The slide is a a little harder to rack and could be a real problem for people with big hands, a slide racker would make this a non issue, but I have small hands and I have just adapted to this.

The C-more being off to the left was strange at first, but now I don't even notice it.

You are more limited on holsters. My Ghost works fine, but an older Safariland 008 does fit with the Barry mount.

edited for errors and to add pictures of adjustment tools I made.

post-3253-1226864115_thumb.jpg

post-3253-1226864135_thumb.jpg

post-3253-1226864153_thumb.jpg

post-3253-1226864170_thumb.jpg

post-3253-1226864197_thumb.jpg

post-3253-1226864217_thumb.jpg

post-3253-1226864229_thumb.jpg

post-3253-1226864246_thumb.jpg

post-3253-1226866439_thumb.jpg

post-3253-1226866449_thumb.jpg

Edited by CenTX

two excellent reasons to use the Ruane Mount.

1) if you normally shoot iron sights, the transition is easier as the dot is much closer to where you expect your iron sight to be as the normal dot is much higher.

2) Very clear path for ejected shells as opposed to 'normal' mounts

Got to admit, I really like mine.

Jim

I joined the club 2 months ago. I have shot open with slide and frame mounted DrDots over the past few years. I found the Barry to have all the advantages of both approaches. As a lefty, there is none of the thumb/safety clearance issues, though most righties learn to work with it very quickly.

I've wondered about these mounts. I like the idea of getting the dot closer to the barrel. But looking at the pics from the backside of the gun it looks like the mount takes up an awful lot of your field of view to the left. It seems like it would kinda be in the way on left side transitions. Was/is this an issue?

I've wondered about these mounts. I like the idea of getting the dot closer to the barrel. But looking at the pics from the backside of the gun it looks like the mount takes up an awful lot of your field of view to the left. It seems like it would kinda be in the way on left side transitions. Was/is this an issue?

I mentioned that in an earlier thread, but I really don't think so. The space between our eyes seems to be enough overcome it. ;)

I mentioned that in an earlier thread, but I really don't think so. The space between our eyes seems to be enough overcome it. ;)

I have a new Barry mount that's going on one of my Open guns to test, so I haven't shot that setup yet, but I handled Derek's (Millenium Custom) gun that had one while at the Nationals. Initially it seems weird, but even after just a couple of minutes of dry firing and bringing up the gun I didn't notice the scope really at all. R,

CenTX,

Great post. Thanks for the information. I just ordered a new blaster from Shooters Connection and I'm going to install the Barry mount on that gun. I send Chuck at SC Barry's email address so maybe Shooter Connection will be offering the mount for sale soon.

PJ

When I first changed the mount the C-more jumped out at me, because it was different. After shooting it a couple of times I don't even notice it. No problems going left, the picture has you a lot closer to the back of the gun than you would be actually shooting it.

The learning curve is pretty fast, but it is different and I did have to make some minor changes to my draw and slide racking as I stated previously. My only complaint is that I did'nt do this sooner.

I'm running a barry mount I got from Henning Wallgren on a older Tanfoglio Gold Team, and as my first open gun, the mount made the transition to a red dot ~almost~ seemless. I run my gun well lubed, and I get some oil spray on the back of the lens, but not enough to make me clean it during a match. Swapping the windage adjustment screw just takes a few minutes with a drill press and a modified flat tip screwdriver to break loose the ajustment screw. I didn't (or haven't yet ) swapped the lock screw. It was a simple enough operation.

Any of you Barry mount converts having issues with muck muck (powder residue, etc.) dirtying up the C-More lens?

CYa,

Pat

Yup,

I wipe oil off it after every stage... no biggy, but yes.

My gun is a real shorty so I did see residue, but easy to clean. The problem I encountered was hot gas from one of the 'jet ports' (see picture) sprayed right onto the left-side of the mount. I covered it in 2 layers of duct-tape until I could get the mount moved by 3/4-inch by removing the 2 rear-most mounting holes. This puts the back of the C-more even with the back of the slide which is fine for a lefty like me, but pretty difficult for a righty.

I don't have any pictures with the added set-back yet.

post-12164-1227206679_thumb.jpg

Edited by matt2ace

Racker placement is a drawback to the Barry mount, but only for righties.....as a lefty, it's right where I want it!

How violent is the gun?......with the Barry mount, The dot moves up/down within the visual field (aka: always visible to me). I had a DrDot frame mount on it for most of this year, the Barry configuration made a big difference in my shooting speed and accuracy over that configuration. Some people who have shot this gun feel it is snappy, but I find it very controllable. I added a thumbrest to provide some additional stability but I don't have it back from my gunsmith yet. I do plan to build a gov't length open gun this winter (with Barry mount optics) because I do believe that gov't length with std comp will be softer and smoother than this shorty which will likely be used mostly for steel matches.

post-12164-1227298221_thumb.jpg

post-12164-1227298241_thumb.jpg

Edited by matt2ace

Will the gases from hybrid holes ruin the cmore in this mount.

I have 4 hybrid holes and was wondering if mounting the cmore without a blast sheild in this mount will cause me problems.

Hot gas and high velocity will tear up the polymer used for the standard C-more mount. I noticed some erosion after just a 200 rounds through the gun which lead me to put some duct-tape in that area until I could get the sight moved back.

Try doing a search for heat-resistant tape. I think I remember using a 3M heat-resistant tape for a shotgun project that may work on your C-More as a "popple-hole preventative" :P The tape was similar to the stuff used in racing for engine electrical protection. What can it hurt, right?

I have 4 hybrid holes and was wondering if mounting the cmore without a blast sheild in this mount will cause me problems.

Hot gas and high velocity will tear up the polymer used for the standard C-more mount. I noticed some erosion after just a 200 rounds through the gun which lead me to put some duct-tape in that area until I could get the sight moved back.

Try doing a search for heat-resistant tape. I think I remember using a 3M heat-resistant tape for a shotgun project that may work on your C-More as a "popple-hole preventative" :P The tape was similar to the stuff used in racing for engine electrical protection. What can it hurt, right?

Thanks for the advice. I have the option to set the sight back by 3/4 inch which should take care of the problem, but I will check out the 3M tape option if the problem still exists.